Shadowplay: Chapter 3 - Fakir's Theory

Chapter 3 - Fakir's Theory

“You said he wasn’t coming!?” Duck screeched as she looked out the window and saw two nicely dressed boys waiting for them.

“What!?” Rue moved over to the window and saw the same image as Duck did, “I told Mytho specifically not to tell Fakir about our outing!”

“I suppose we’ll have to bear him…” Duck groaned.

“Yes, he won’t leave if we ask him to I can tell you that now,” Rue left the window and opened the wardrobe, “don’t look okay?”

“Yup,” Duck peered out the window again, Mytho brushed some snow off the edge of the fountain and sat down under Fakir’s intense stare. Mytho looked at the ground.

*Why must Mytho look so sad all the time? He should be happy that he gets to see Rue! But then again Fakir is still here; lingering like a gross smell. Why can’t Fakir just leave Mytho alone! It’s so frustrating*

“Okay you can look now,” Rue was wearing a red and white knitted turtle neck winter jumper with a red scarf, a fairly short pleated tartan skirt, and black tights, red leg warmers and black vintage shoes, “come on we need to get you dressed!”

“I only have my PJs, uniform and the clothes I arrived in which really aren’t suitable.” Rue sighed.

“You can borrow some of my clothes for now, we have to take you shopping sometime soon.”

Rue dragged Duck away from the window.

***

The boys waited patiently outside.

“Fakir, I need to ask you something”

“What is it Mytho” Fakir stared off into the distance irritable as always.

‘Lately I’ve been thinking about Rue a lot and-“

“Mytho! Rue is just a distraction in your life! You need to forget her and focus!”

“What if,” he stammered, “I can’t?”

“What?”

“I can’t forget Rue. I think I might love her” Fakir choked. What the hell is he talking about? “Fakir, why are you shaking? Are you cold?”

“Hey!” They turned and saw the girls approaching, “Fakir what are you doing here!”

“Making sure no one tries anything stupid, that’s what” He snorted.

“Rue!” Mytho embraced her amorously while Duck and Fakir stood awkwardly, “you look very pretty Rue,” He faced Duck, “as do you Duck” she turned into a tomato.

Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!!

She wore a yellow jersey, red and white polka dotted skirt, white tights and yellow converse high-tops. Fakir checked his watch, “we need to leave now of we’ll be late.”

The lilac fairy strutted onto the stage in her amazing lilac tutu and pointe shoes; duck gripped her seat in absolute awe. Her movements were so fluent and graceful from a pirouette into an arabesque. So precise with her movement and concentration; though she still smiled as if she were having the time of her life on the stage. I wonder if I could ever dance like that?

Her moment of awe was broken by the sound of scribbles next to her. Fakir busily writing notes; as if he were studying the performance.

“Fakir? Could you be a little teeny weeny bit quieter?”