Who They Really Are

#ProjectBreakFree

My momma was right about you. She told me you would never change. You only told me you would, so I could stay with you a little longer.

I wanted and needed to prove her wrong. I believed in you. I believed in us, but I shouldn't have. And I regret it now.

Your sweet, beautiful lies were my downfall.

The first time it happened, I left your apartment crying, promising I would leave you forever.

The very next day you came to my moms house. Your eyes watering begging me for forgiveness. You kept saying how sorry you were, and I believed you.

The next few weeks were picture perfect. You treated me so delicately, never once raising your voice. Or your hand.

But your vicious cycle began again. You broke all of your promises that night, and I ran away again.

Yet again I broke my promise. That night, I returned to you although my mom begged me not too.

Tonight I'm left cleaning the mess you made. But it's the last time. I finally realize that you won't ever change. You just revealed the person you really are.

A monster. One that I am leaving for good. This time I mean it because while you're looking for me, I'll be in treatment getting the help I need.

And it's all thanks to my momma.