Chapter 1: Letters

Emil stood in front of his locker and sighed. It had been so long since he last cleaned it. The last time he cleaned it was at the end of his freshmen year. That was last year. It was empty then, it was empty at the beginning of the year as well. Now it was already spring, that's a long time to have a messy locker.  World's biggest procrastinator is what he was.  It's pretty frustrating to be honest.   

Emil was debating on whether or not to open the locker.  He stared and stared at it for what seemed like hours. Really, it was about ten seconds until he cracked open the door.  Papers and papers flew into his face.  All just white.  Except one. One of them was pink and it had fallen right on his head.   He picked it right off and looked at it.   Emil didn't have any pink paper! This could not have been his!

As Emil slowly unfolded the paper, he found that the writing was not his either.  His handwriting wasn't quite as messy as this.  Also he didn't own red glitter pens.   This paper had to be from someone else.  Hopefully this wasn't just a prank though.  That was just dumb, he'd gotten a prank love note from Denmark pretending to be the girl in his calculus class. That was not fun. This handwriting however, was not familiar to him at all! Well, enough talking about the appearance. The letter read

April, 21, 2016

Dear Emil,

I know this like, sounds like I'm a stalker. I'm really not, but I'm in your math class. I've also watched you from afar. I talk to your puffin and he told me all of you social media which is awesome! You are rather adorable and I'd like to talk to you! I'd rather not give out my name in case this falls into the wrong hands, but I'd like to meet you at lind (lind is "the fountain" in Icelandic according to Google Translate XD) after school!  Hope you'll be there!  Like, I'm totally looking forward to seeing you!

No signature, no reason why he should show up?  The dude even knew Icelandic, only the other Nordics knew Icelandic.  Ha!  This was totally a prank! 

But Emil would show up anyway.

It may seem like a bad idea, you know, kidnappers and criminals and shit, but Emil had his cell phone and Norway on speed dial. What could go wrong? 

A lot of things

But Emil didn't care.  He'd be just fine, he told himself.   Totally fine.  It's not like someone would come up to him with a gun and be like, "Hi!  My name is _____ and I'm the guy who put that note in your locker!  Now die!"  The chances of that we're very small, but what if they did?  If they did, too bad.  His stupidity had killed him and he'd never see anyone again or fall in love (Not that he cared).

But what if this was an actual love note?  He doubted it, but that small piece of hope that it was was the reason he was even going to this stupid fountain anyway.  Stupid letter. 

Emil spent way too much time thinking about it and realized he had to be to homeroom quickly before the school day started or his teacher would yell at him.   He rushed off to homeroom, the letter still in hand as he ran.  He almost bumped into quite a few people.  And one person he did actually bump into.  Thank god it was only Lukas, his brother, but papers scattered all over the floor, including the note.  Lukas snatched it up.

"What's this?"  He asked.

"I-It's nothing!"  Emil tried to grab it from him, but he held it high in the air.  God damn my shortness, this is so stupid, he thought

Lukas opened the letter very slowly just to annoy the Icelandic nation.  Just as Lukas was putting on his glasses to read it, his younger brother snatched it right out of his hands and sprinted to his homeroom.