Chapter 21 - The Battle Begins

AN: So there is one chapter left. The last chapter will not be as long as this one is but I put a lot of thought into this chapter, the intensity is strong with this one. Here it is, chapter 21!

Chapter 21

"Another one down," my scout informed me.

I responded to the scout and nodded at Chase who was on my left. We had packed up our things and headed out not long after Claire told us the news. Just as Sam had said, men were hiding in the trees but our scouts were quieter than they thought and so far every man has been cut down.

"So it seems that Sam was not lying," Tyler muttered under his breath, making sure that he remained extra quiet. We were in Victor's territory now and just because our scouts were out before us didn't mean that there weren't others still out.

"I told you this was his way of asking for forgiveness," I replied. I scanned the trees and strained my ears for any signs of movement. So far we had no encounters with the enemy which meant that they were probably back at their camp... two things could be happening. One of them could be that they were expecting us already, most likely the one, or the other could be that they were still uncertain.

"I know you didn't like him but I knew Sam," Chase cut in. "Sam doesn't lie; I am sure that Victor was playing him this entire time which is why he cut him down. He knew that Sam had an impact on his pack which is why he was so quick to turn them against him... I am also pretty sure Victor has been feeding that pack lies since they started working with him."

"Great you are on his side too," Tyler grumbled with an eye roll but went silent. He reached over and grabbed my hand, pulling it up to his lips. He placed a small kiss on it and smiled down at me.

"What was that for?" I asked in a slight daze.

"I wanted to do that before we went into this fight," he whispered. "I don't know what is going to happen so I want to make sure that you know how much I love you."

"You make it sound like you are going to die on me," I tried to joke. I knew this was going to be a tough battle, I just didn't want to think of Tyler possibly dying. "Promise me you will try your best to stay alive," I found myself asking.

He looked down at me, "I promise I will try my best to stay alive. You will not get rid of me that easily..." He let our hands dangle as we continued to walk, letting the ease start working throughout my body. I knew with him at my side, I could do anything.

"We found another man, he shot Felix!" the scout managed to get out. "He let out a scream so I am pretty sure that Victor knows we are coming now... he was the closest to the camp so I doubt there are anymore. We collected the poison and they are heading back to you know with it... I am sorry I was unable to return with them."

"What do you mean," I demanded, the panic rising in me. "Were you shot?!"

"Yes ma'am, I blocked a shot... I was not about to let them get her. I am sorry but I wouldn't have it any other way. Protect her please," his line went dead and suddenly a wail filled the air. Her mate was dead and the strong bond was breaking... the sound was enough to make me cover my mouth to muffle my cry.

"Lucy, you have to stay strong," Tyler called out, pulling me back to reality. "You can't break down now... these people behind you are counting on you to be strong. That man knew what he was doing, he was doing what any loyal mate would. You should honor him by staying strong..."

I took a deep breath and nodded my head. "Take her back to the camp, you guys did well. Inform the others and wait for our return. Take that poison to the healers and see if they can figure out a way to cure it, if Victor has any at his camp I want to make sure that if anyone is shot we will be able to get it out of their systems before anything happens." They replied with an okay before I let my hand fall back to my side.