5: All Nighters and Annoyance

I looked out of the glass door that led to the balcony outside of my room and saw the first glimpse of the soft yellow sun peeking out from under the midnight black waters of the massive lake below. I stretched my arms above my head and tried to correct the knot in my neck that was caused by me looking down at my notes for hours. I looked at the time to see that class started in less than two hours. Too late for sleep now, I shrugged.

I went to the bathroom and turned on the shower before slipping off my pajamas. I stepped under the warm stream of water and allowed it to wash away my tiredness and ease my muscles. Who knew reading notes all night could be so strenuous? I washed my hair and body, taking my time with each step as I had plenty of time. I finished the rest of my morning routine in under 20 minutes, not bothering with putting on any makeup. I slipped on a silk robe and headed into the kitchen.

As if she had read my mind, Merril had made me a pot of strongly caffeinated tea as well as slicing various fruits for my breakfast. I decided to take my  breakfast onto the balcony outside of my bedroom and enjoy the sunrise.

The crisp cold air stung my exposed skin as soon as I took my first steps outside. The sun was higher up now, allowing the sky to display various shades of reds, yellows, and oranges. The lake seemed completely still despite the breeze. I took my time in eating my breakfast, savoring every last bite.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

All of my classes seemed to go by like they had the previous day, fast and without incident except for the egotistical swine known as Gilderoy Lockhart... wow did I just call him an egotistical swine? Snape would be proud.

It was then time for potions and I was really enthusiastic about it, or maybe I was just enthusiastic about leaving the presence of the man who sprayed way too much cologne and viewed himself as a god. Regardless, I was more than glad to be going to potions.

"Please don't yell at me, I don't want to scare you so I'm making my presence known." I said, however Snape was nowhere to be found. After 20 minutes or so had passed, I decided to start on the potion so as not to waste anytime.

I grabbed a cauldron and all of the necessary ingredients. I sliced, diced, smashed, crushed, squeezed, chopped, bubbled, and twisted. I stirred and stirred before finally, the potion was complete. I had successfully brewed the antidote for Veritaserum.

"Well done Ms. Kettle. I'm sorry I've kept Severus from you, but by the looks of it, you seem to do just fine on your own." Dumbledore said from behind me, making me jump. "I will be going out for a few days to meet with the Minister of Magic about school safety, and Severus has agreed to stay here to watch over you while I'm gone." He explained before abruptly leaving, an angry potions master stayed behind.

"Next time don't brew a potion when I'm not around! You could get yourself killed you idiot!" He fumed. Still remembering my conversation with Dumbledore from the day before, I didn't argue.

"I'm sorry sir. It won't happen again." I hung my head feeling defeated. I felt stupid, I had stayed up all night for someone who doesn't even care or give me any praise. Not even a 'good job!' sent my way. He dismissed me then, and I went straight to my room, too tired to eat, and too annoyed to face professor Snape any longer.