16. Classes and Calling Out

The next morning I woke up to the sound of my alarm, the first day of class was upon us. Although I had already had a class with just about every professor, there was still a strong anxious energy that lingered in the air. Perhaps it was because my classes would now be within a group rather than one on one, or perhaps it was because of Severus Snape's stone cold attitude towards me. Our last encounter was anything but pleasant. That man was the reason I had cried myself to sleep last night, causing me to wake up with my eyes nearly swollen shut.

I made my way to my bathroom and looked in the mirror as I had every morning and saw the dark circles under my swollen eyes. I looked a mess to say the least. My appearance alone was enough to make me want to cry harder, but something stopped me. A lesson my mother taught me when I was a young girl. No matter how hurt you are, you can't let it change you. You have to pick yourself up and keep going, because no one is going to wait for you to feel better. Life doesn't stop for anyone.

Remembering her words of wisdom, I grabbed a washcloth and ran it under warm water before placing it under my eyes to help the swelling go down. I decided to eat in my room rather than with everyone else in the great hall so I could ensure that my eyes returned to normal.

Once my eyes were finally depuffed, I applied some eyeshadow, mascara, winged liner, highlight, and I filled in my brows. I also decided to straighten my hair before realizing that I was bored with my hair and wanted a change. I'd have to do something about that later.

Once I felt confident in my appearance, I exited my room and made my way to my first class, divination. I walked in to see that I was the first to arrive. I decided to sit in the back corner at a solitary desk seeing as I wasn't one for social interaction this early in the morning. My plan, however, was foiled by Riley who placed another table right next to mine before sitting smugly. "My friends are not antisocial. Where were you last night? You weren't at dinner."

"I was really tired so I went to bed early, I'm sorry." she looked at me and I could tell that she knew I was lying.

"When you're comfortable enough to tell me I will be right here. Just know I am really good at... reading people I guess you could say." She gave me a pity smile and then the lesson began.

My classes were Divination, Herbology, DADA with some new professor named Lupin, and then finally Potions. I was also given a few free hours to work on my own to catch up to the seventh years.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

The time for Defense Against the Dark Arts came around and I was interested in meeting Lupin, but also anxious to see if he would be a replica of Lockhart. He walked in and flashed a charming smile before introducing himself and talking a little more about his credentials and going over the syllabus. He seemed very straightforward yet friendly.

DADA flew by and suddenly it was time for potions. My stomach twisted in anticipation as I trudged my way to his classroom. I was one of the last to arrive and the only available seats were all in the front. Riley walked in right after me and I looked at her questioningly seeing as this was not a first year class. She was in the middle of explaining how she had tested out of potions until this point as she was also very skilled at it when the door busted open and a billowing robe made its way to the front. His onyx eyes scanned the room until they found mine and gave me an unrecognizable look before starting his normal spiel. Riley kept her eyes on him the entire time as if she was reading him like a book, and she looked sad. She noticed that I was watching the entire ordeal and then snapped out of it. The rest of the class was uneventful and redundant.

As soon as class had ended, I grabbed my things and started to walk out of the classroom before I was summoned to stay behind. I looked at him questioningly.

"You skipped detention last night." he said flatly. I just stared at him, not wanting him to know that he hurt my feelings. "Anything you'd like to say for yourself?"

"I'm sorry. After our little encounter I went to my room and I guess I was so tired I fell asleep."

Bullshit. He knew I was lying through my teeth. He knew I could never sleep on my own like that. Images of last night flashed through my head as if I were reliving them, but I don't know what prompted it. The look on his face told me all I needed to know, he was reading my thoughts. He looked very hurt by what he had seen.

"I did not give you permission. Stay the fuck out of my head." I stormed towards the door, reaching the doorway before turning back and making eye contact once more. I projected my thoughts to him, of us in my bed, of our almost kiss, of us. The look of hurt on his face came no where near to how I was feeling inside. "I'm sorry that you got bored with me." I said before leaving and making my way to my quarters.

XXXXXXXXXX

Hey guys! I'm at the beach rn getting some sun. aka I'm currently a lobster. I've been vlogging every day this week for those interested! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS1_WE0B6LY