Batman needs a Robin

Start from the beginning

"Promise?" Jason looked up at him.

"I promise." Dick smiled for the last time, and sprinted off to Starfire.

"Come on we gotta go." Dick grabbed her hand and nodded to Batman, and left.

"What was that all about?" Bruce asked as Jason came running up to him.

"This." Jason held out the uniform to a wide eyed Bruce.

_______________________________________

"Hello friends! We have returned!" Starfire exclaimed as she and Dick entered the room.

"Oh hey Star. Sup Rob." BeastBoy didn't turn from the TV.

"Where is friend Cyborg and Raven?" Starfire prodded.

"Sleepin I think." BeastBoy yawned.

"Sounds like a good idea." No longer Robin but has sunglasses on and started to leave.

"Robin...?" Starfire grabbed his arm.

"yes?" He looked straight through her.

Starfire gazed into his sunglasses. He looked at her with a cold stare.

Starfire didn't answer and they stared at each other.

"Star?" He took her hand.

"yes?" Starfire smiled slightly.

"I'm sorry." He frowned and let go off her hand and fled.

"Robin!" Starfire yelled after him, but he was gone. Her face lost all happiness it had left.

"oh Robin..." She floated slowly to the ground. She didn't feel like flying anymore. Robin Wasn't the same. The one she lost, wasn't the one she found. Would he ever be the same Again? Or would he be distant, keep whatever was wrong bottled up?

_______________________________________

"He didn't." Bruce shook his head.

"He said he couldn't be Robin anymore and that the Mantle of Robin couldn't die, so he gave it to me." Jason explained as he set the uniform down and opened up the pouches in the utility belt.

Bruce put a hand to his head and sighed. "Why would he do something like this? Did he say why?"

"He said he couldn't be Robin after all that's happened." Jason replied as he awed at a Birderang.

"So he's just going to stop being a hero now?" Maybe he should call him...

"Actually no. He said he wasn't going to stop being a hero. I don't know what he's going to do though." Jason clicked the belt around his waist.

"What are you doing?" Bruce frowned as Jason fumbled with the cape.

"Putting it on." Jason smiled as he snapped the cape in place.

"No you can't be Robin. Just because Dick said-"

"He said I was ready. He said it was my choice not yours." Jason interrupted him.

"Jason..." He didn't think he wasn't ready to take on another partner...

"After all, Batman needs a Robin." Jason smiled.

Bruce froze. Jason was right. Man Alfred was going to kill him for this...

_______________________________________

"What were you thinking?!"

"Dick he-"

"No excuses! I can't believe you would encourage this!" Alfred interrupted.

"It wasn't like that!" Bruce protested. Alfred was the only one who could scold him and get away with it.

"Then what was it like?" Alfred raised an eyebrow.

"It, I, I don't know. Dick just gave him the Robin uniform and took off." Bruce explained.

"And if Jason becomes Robin, what will you do with him then? You never think these things through!" Alfred looked at him seriously.

"Actually..." Bruce trailed off.

"What?" Alfred eyed him.

"I was thinking, since he knows I'm Batman, and he's been living with us for a while now, he even saved my life a few times..." Bruce pre-winced.

"Master Bruce. If you miss Master Dick's presence here and you wish to acquire a new ward, then go on ahead. I have grown to like Master Jason myself. But don't make the same mistakes you made with Master Richard." Alfred advised.

"I won't. I won't make the same mistakes, I promise." Bruce stood up.

"Very good then. I believe Jason should hear about this." Alfred winked.

"He should, shouldn't he?" Bruce smiled. "But first, I gotta make a call."
_______________________________________

hmm...I know what your thinking. When is Slade coming back into this?! Soon my friend. Soon