Chapter 1: Ara, Ara...

In the outskirts of a small town in the countryside of Japan, there is a little known church by the name of Saint Mary.

Not only does this church serve as a spiritual function for the town, it is also an orphanage.

And in this church-but-also-an-orphanage, a pint-size teenage blonde, (but definitely Japanese), girl was running through the church yard with the spirit of a healthy youth channeling through her body.

She leaped and jumped and dodged statues and stairways and bannisters, such was the complexity of the church's architecture, to her destination. A few nuns did not appreciate this, but what can you do about it?

The identity of this girl goes by the name Yui Komori, the younger daughter of the head priest of the church.

In the small garden deep within the sanctuary of the church, a lone woman sat on a wheelchair inside a gazebo

To the untrained eyes, one could see the illusion that the flowers of the garden had surrounded her, as if competing to see who deserved to be within the presence of the fragile beauty.

Unbeknownst of this strange phenomenon that occurs daily, her focus was on that of a small, green book held gently in her hands.

"Onee-san!"

The call of the fragile beauty was all it took to gain her attention as Yui entered the gazebo with gusto and promptly flung herself into the sitting figure's arms.

"Yuu-chan! Ara, ara~" The woman, shocked for only a moment, suddenly looked amused as she caught her younger sister.

A small, tinkering laugh came from the beauty, attracting those that passed the garden, as she was well-loved and greatly admired within the church.

Yui snuggled deeper into her arms and looked up into a pair of cerulean blue eyes, showing a bright and happy smile that was specially delivered toward the woman.

The woman is pale, with light-blonde hair that was a tad shade lighter than Yui's, longer and straighter than the short curls of her younger sister.

She returned Yui's cheerful beam with a gentle and warm smile.

"Hello Yuu-chan, how are you today?" The woman asked, her book, all but forgotten in favor of speaking to Yui in a fond manner.

The woman is known as Lyra Komori, the adoptive older sister of Yui, who came to the church one day at the age of four.

By no means were they related, however. Lyra was with their adoptive father when Yui was brought to the Church. After that, Lyra all but raised Yui because their father was an absolute moron.

Yui excitedly jumped up and tugged at her sister's sleeves.

"Papa's going on a business trip again." She announced, her pinkish eyes shining with an adventurous gleam. "So we'll be going somewhere else until he comes backs."

Yui has always been this way, a bit tom-boyish and ruddy about her manners. She was an untamable force and Lyra, who raised her to this point and allowed no interference from the stuffy nuns and priests, had always been proud of her tenacity.

But of course, even with that gleam in her eyes that desired to leave the church and go on an adventure, it did not affect Lyra the way it should have.

Heading Yui's words made the Lyra go stiff, her smile becoming frozen in place.

In an instant, the sunny and fairytale scene dampened into the same shitty lighting that was used for the anime of Diabolik Lovers.