Chapter Seven: Dying Hearts

Bella opened her brown eyes, pain coursing through her body. She ignored it, and slowly pushed herself up. Surprisingly, she didn't need help.

Her eyes flickered to her swollen stomach. Two weeks had passed and she already looked seven months pregnant. Bruises coated her stomach like butter would cover toast. Her skin desperately clung to her bones, looking like it was to rip any moment. Dark circles etched themselves under her eyes, looking like she hadn't slept in years.

No one had been getting sleep. The wolves were constantly running the perimeter, making sure no unexpected guests would arrive. Renesmee had dark circles around her eyes as well. She refused to sleep, and insisted she didn't leave her mother's side.

Bella felt like her whole family hated her. Rosalie was beyond pissed at the fact Bella was pregnant. Emmett always stayed by Rosalie's side, occasionally sending glares towards everyone. Alice refused to stay near Bella, for trying to see her future gave her a migraine. Jasper was there to soothe her. Carlisle was losing his sanity, trying to figure out what to do to make sure Bella survived.

As for Edward, every time he looked at Bella, pain practically oozed from his black eyes. He refused to leave the house to hunt, and so did the rest of the Cullen's. Bella was in a house full of hungry vampires.

"Bella?" His caring voice shocked her, for his voice had been rough and angry lately. Edward's hands helped her properly sit up, the tips of his fingers, hitting her bare belly. "Sorry," he murmured, not looking up.

Without saying a word, she took Edward's hand into her own and gently pushed her baggy shirt up. Edward's cold hand touched her stomach, making a shiver run through her body. His hand froze at first, but then he caressed the stomach gently.

A small smile appeared on his face. "Can you feel that?" Bella asked in a mere whisper, not strong enough to speak louder.

"The baby's kicking," he said in astonishment.

"Not just any baby. Our baby." A beautiful smile flashed on his face.

Thumps from upstairs echoed through the house as Renesmee, pummeled down the stairs, an exhausted but curious look on her face. She looked at Edward, expecting him to read her thoughts.

He stared at her and flipped through her thoughts. Before Edward could say what Renesmee was thinking, she spoke up. "I have a theory."

"Do explain," Bella croaked, her voice slowly collapsing.

"Well. when Nora was pregnant with me, Dad was able to read my mind. I want to try and send my baby brother or sister pictures of our family. Then Dad can see the baby's reaction. And we can see who's going to be joining our family soon!" The excitement on her face brightened up the whole room.

Edward looked into Bella's eyes, asking for permission. She gave a small nod and rolled her shirt up a bit more. Her bruised stomach made Edward's face contort in pain, but he ignored it as Renesmee approached and sat down beside Bella.

Renesmee's hand trembled as it hovered over Bella's stomach, but she finally pursued the courage to place it down. Her warm skin warmed Bella as a blur of images flushed through her mind. Bella couldn't see them clearly, but she could see snippets of some.

Her and Edward curled up on the couch, Renesmee and Bella having a snowball fight, and even all of them at Christmas. A dark feeling clouded her mind as she opened her eyes. Edward's eyes widened and he tried to shake Renesmee from her trance. Her mouth was open, and fear swam in her brown eyes.

Red eyes popped into her head and a sound echoed through the room.

CRACK!

Bella let out a moan as she fell forward, Edward quickly sweeping her up into his arms. "Carlisle!" He shouted. No response. "Damn it, Renesmee!"