"Uh-huh, sure you wouldn't," she said not believing him for a second. Kat turned back and saw the room had filled with even more people. There must've been another entrance at the other side of the hall. Just being this close filled her to the brim with more anticipation.

She hopped from one foot to the other, "C'mon, Des. Can we just do this already?" she pleaded, her voice thrumming with a special cocktail of excitement, wonder, and anxiousness.

He gave her one last look still not entirely convinced she wasn't going to do something ridiculous. Vampires were touchy and entirely too self-centered. Des had little doubt one of them would find a way to misinterpret Kat's innocent enthusiasm for something way more sinister. True, he'd lured her with the promise of meeting some, and the vampires of Nightfall were at least among the most honorable of their kind, but tonight was about putting her face to face with Aiden. Kat needed to feel their connection and get on the love bus. Vampires were enough of an outlier to pose a threat to even his meticulous machinations. He was going to have to watch Kat like a hawk.

Des satisfied himself with some final points: "Elbows off the table, sip never gulp, and whatever you do, don't make direct eye contact with any bloodsuckers. You are not on the menu." He grabbed her elbow and practically pushed her through the doorway.

"Show time," he said before he changed his mind about the whole thing.

* ~* ~*

Upon entering the dining hall, Kat's senses squarely hit overload. The smells, the sounds, the colors, it was overpowering in nearly every way. Suddenly, as if a silent signal was given, everyone fell silent and parted to form an open path. Now Kat could clearly make out the royal table at the end of the hall. It was raised on a dais and both Eric and Lori stood waiting to greet them.

As they made their way towards the royal couple, the hair on the back of Kat's neck rose as dozens of pairs of eyes fell upon her, assessing, admiring, and judging all at once.

"Head high, kitty-Kat. You look fabulous," Des whispered, leading the way.

Her body responded instantly, lifting her chin and squaring her shoulders back as she focused on putting one foot in front of the other.

She knew he was right. Her gown was a dream, hugging her curves in all the right places even as the skirts were loose enough not to hamper her stride. Her heeled toes peeked out with every step she took. Her hair, which Des had turned a beautiful shade of ebony with a sexy under layer of champagne, matched her dress and set off her bare shoulders elegantly. She wore black diamond tear drop earrings and a matching necklace to give her a polished, finished look.

Kat had never felt more beautiful.

Taking deep, even breaths, she counted her steps in an effort to stay calm and collected. Thirty-six steps later they'd reached the dais. She'd curtsied in one fluid motion while Des bowed and spoke the formal words of greeting for all to hear.

*~*~ *

Aiden felt Kat's energy the second she stepped into the dining hall. Fighting his inner warrior had left him frayed and more irritable than usual. It felt as if he'd been burning under a hot sun all afternoon with no water, no shade, and no reprieve from the intensity of what was happening inside him. Kat's presence was a soothing balm against his scalded spirit. Watching her walk towards him was an excruciating form of torture his long life had not prepared him for, and yet merely seeing her was enough to calm the worst of the churning inside. 

He felt like he could take a proper breath once more.

She was resplendent in her black gown, the color enhancing the luminous quality of her skin. His hands ached to touch her, caress the delicate skin of her neck, the smooth expanse of her back, to feel her arms wrapped around him as they were joined in his bed. Her hair, subdued and less colorful now, gleamed under the candlelight of the hall, while her eyes smoldered in a bewitching manner. Her visage called to mind tales of the Fae folk of old, but beneath Kat's enchanting beauty, just under the surface, Aiden could sense her anxiety moving through her limbs. 

He resisted his warrior's urge to get closer to Kat, to pull her into his arms and kiss her into until she felt secure - until she understood he was the only being that would always keep her safe. Instead he focused on the words echoing inside the great hall as Desmond greeted Eric and introduced Kat as Queen Lori's cousin. All would know she was a member of the royal family and treat her with the highest respect. The captain in him accepted the ruse as a necessary evil, though the deceit did not sit well with him. Eric was the same. Both came from an honorable line of warriors and lies did not easily roll off the tongue. However, the safety of the fragile human who was Aiden's mate was Eric's only concern, a fact the captain was more than grateful for.

Eric responded in a voice that reached every corner of the large room, proclaiming them honored family guests to his house and at his table. Queen Lori descended the two steps of the dais and enveloped Kat in a warm hug. Aiden could feel some of his mate's nervous anxiety settle down at the contact. He tried not to feel envious over how comfortable Kat appeared to be with Lori in such a short time. He understood they shared many similarities - both were from a strange world far removed from the ways of Wolfgard.  

Grabbing her hand, Lori ushered Kat to their table and motioned for her to take the seat just to her right. Des took the seat on Kat's opposite side and for a moment she felt relieved at being sandwiched between the two people in the kingdom who would do everything in their power to keep her cover safe.

Aiden felt Kat's relief evaporate the second she looked across the table and locked eyes with him. Before he could say anything to put her mind back at ease, the vampires of Nightfall stood as one. The black clad guardsmen and soldiers knelt in a fluid motion as their king and ruler stepped forward.

Lord Adam was in his most powerful form today, the shadows in the hall playing to the sharp planes and angles of his face to their maximum effect against his pale skin. He was both an avenging angel and a tempting devil.  The great hall grew quieter still as everyone awaited his words.

"The royal kingdom of Nightfall welcomes Lord Desmond and Lady Katrina," The vampire's eyes locked onto Kat's and Aiden swore he heard her heartbeat quicken from where he sat. Aiden chaffed at Kat's eager approval of Lord Adam. As the dark lord glided forward, Kat, Aiden, Eric, and the rest of Wolfgard rose from their seats.

"I am Lord Adam Nightborn, the last of the royal Vampire kings and ruler of Nightfall," he said bowing from the waist. Kat curtsied demurely in return. Facing Des, his next words reverberated with the power of his kind, "It has been many long years since our last encounter Lord Desmond. On that day you swore an oath on the blood of your gods..."

Des cursed low but not so low Aiden didn't catch it.

"...and tonight you fulfill your long-awaited promise. I formally accept your bride offer, Lord Desmond of the New World." His eyes locked onto Kat's as he spoke, "Let our marriage unite both kingdoms for all eternity."

Aiden felt all the sound within the chamber leave in a giant rush as the warrior in his soul roared in murderous outrage. 

And like a great, savage beast, Wolfgard's Captain of the Guard lunged straight for the King of Nightfall. 

*

*

*

*

A/N: Thank you for your patience, support, and for coming back. =c]

Image: Lord Adam of Nightfall Inspiration

Warrior's Touch (Immortal Warriors #2) जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें