Nightmare - Reituki

Ruki's POV 

          A loud knock on my door interrupted my sleep, causing me to jump in bed in fright. My bedroom, so cold it made me shiver and caused the hairs on my arms to stand, was still completely dark, a clear indication that it wasn't anywhere near the morning. I looked at the clock on my bedside table. 3:42 am. I groaned, resting my face in my hands as the knocking repeated, growing more and more impatient.

          "For fuck sake, I'm coming," I groaned, throwing the blankets off me and dragging myself out of bed. I made no effort to make myself look the least bit presentable to whoever it was behind the door. I was too tired to bother. I opened the door, squinting my eyes as they were not yet completely adjusted. 

          My eyes widened in shock as I stared at the man that stood before me. "Akira?" I breathed out, completely dismayed. He looked as if he had just woken up. His hair was an absolute mess and he was still in his pajamas. And his eyes, oh his eyes, staring back at mine, red and puffy and burning with tears. He looked completely wrecked. "Akira, what-" my words were cut off when he walked in and pulled me into his embrace, his strong arms keeping me close to him, holding me so tight as if he's scared I might slip from his grasp.

          "Akira, what's wrong?" I asked in a voice full of concern, wrapping my arms around him after I managed to close the door behind him to return his embrace. My fear only grew stronger as he remained silent. It wasn't long until I heard a sniffle from him, burying his face in my hair as his body trembled slightly with sobs.

          My heart fell. Akira was never the one to get emotional, only something truly devastating would cause him to bring tears in his eyes and to have him in such a state as this one. I released my arms from behind him and pushed myself off him, his eyes spilling tears as they looked into mine. My eyebrows furrowed into confusion, slight fear, and a little bit of annoyance due to the fact that he has yet to tell me what caused this. "You need to tell me what happened, Akira, spill it out!" I begged.

          He slammed his lips into mine, completely ignoring my words yet again. His hands cupped my face as I felt his hot tears against my cheek. My heart sped up. The kiss was forceful yet desperation lingered from him. My back met the wall behind me as our kiss never broke, and his hands found their way to my neck and down my chest, stopping right above my heart.

          His lips left as he rested his forehead against mine, eyes closed as he breathed heavily from the heated kiss. I stared at him in anticipation, confusion and shock still completely taking over me. His eyes opened to meet mine, glistening with tears, desperation hiding deep within. "I love you," he whispered.

          My eyes widened. I knew this, he's told me this hundreds of times before. But why is he saying this now? Why did he come all the way over here in tears to tell me he loves me? What happened?

          "Promise you'll always stay with me, Ruki," he said. His free hand reached for mine, intertwining our fingers together and holding it up to his heart. I could feel his heartbeat, beating so fast it felt like it could bruise his rib cage. "Promise you'll never leave me. Not in this life, not in a dream, not in this world or another," his voice cracked.

          I stared at him incredulously, pang after pang shooting in my heart as I heard the words he said. Watching his tears fall, hearing his voice crack, seeing his body tremble slightly with every sob that shook him... seeing him so broken and vulnerable was truly heartbreaking. It was almost scary.

          "Say something," he barely uttered, squeezing my hand in his.

          "Akira, I love you," I reassured. He closed his eyes at my words, willing for me to go on with a slight nod. "I'm only ever going to love you. You're the only person I ever want to be with, Akira, you're the only one I love. My heart beats for you," my voice cracked, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. "And I don't know what happened to you but I promise you are never going to lose me," I said. "You can count on that."

          He closed his eyes for a second, taking in all my words, and leaned in for another desperate kiss. I melted into him, feeling his warmth and savoring the feel of his lips on mine. His hands explored every inch of my torso, taking me all in as if this was the last time we would ever touch. 

          "I'm sorry," he confessed. "I'm sorry it's just I had a nightmare and it all felt so real," he blurted out. "And I thought that you..." his voice faded, unable to finish his sentence.

          He really did love me, a lot. I knew that for sure. 

          "Come on," I said, a small smile forming on my lips. "Let's go to bed, you look exhausted." I took his hand in mine and guided him to my bedroom. Eyeing the bed and wishing for some rest, I climbed onto my side while he took up the space next to me. Once we were buried under the blankets, he wrapped his arms around me, placing soft kisses in my hair. A deep sigh came from him, almost sounding relieved.

          I buried my face in his chest and closed my eyes, taking in his scent. And although he stopped kissing my hair, his lips never left my head. I laid there listening to his now steady heartbeat, praying for a better dream for him to experience.

          Under the blankets and wrapped in the warmth of his body, I felt something I haven't felt in so long. I felt calm, and at peace. I felt like everything was going to be okay with the world, and god, I hope he felt it, too. 

Authors Note: YAY I FINALLY UPDATED WOOOOOOOO so tell me what you guys think in the comments :D