|Chapter 24|

Hey, loves! Thanks a lot for your dedication to this book. I really appreciate it. x

This one's dedicated to the lovely Biakate ! She's a great writer, you should really check out her books. :)

Happy Reading! xx

|Chapter 24|

It's Justin.

   My chest burned and my breath caught in my throat. I felt so many emotions wash over me, and they were all very overwhelming. I was extremely nervous of Justin's presence, and I had the increasing acceleration of my heartbeats to prove so. I was also very surprised of what Eleanor's boyfriend is doing in a family dinner. It's not like it's forbidden, or something, but it's not exactly appropriate either.

But most of all, I was burning with envy. And that feeling scared me to death. I don't know whether it's because Eleanor found love, or because it's Justin that she found love with, but I sure do hope it's the latter. I'm really not ready to have romantic feelings for anyone, and I don't think I was, ever. It won't work, and I don't want it to. I've already ended up with a broken heart by someone I thought would never break me, and I'm not planning to have my heart shattered again.

"Why, hello!" Mom greeted him ever so cheerfully. I guess his smile charms even her.

Wait, what?

   I shook my head, trying to get rid of my stupid thoughts in the process. My eyes focused on my fingers, which seemed very fascinating, at that moment.

"Mrs. Ryder, pleasure to meet you," he politely replied. Mom had a huge smile on her face, obviously very happy to know that Justin is a gentleman, who isn't at all an egotistical jerk.

Oh, please.

"Please, just call me Ashley." Mom stepped a side to give Dad the chance to greet Justin, as well. And once they exchanged their greetings, Justin sat down after my parents did. However, before he did, he gave me a small wave along with a wide, warm smile. I nodded back in return, before looking at my feet right away.

   I felt heat rush up to neck, cheeks, and ears, indicating that I'm blushing fiercely. It might be because of the fact that Justin is in the room, or because of the whole gathering. All I knew, was that my nerves were wrecked and I was longing for it to all end, quickly.

   Everyone was talking about everything random. From politics, to football, to fashion, and to careers. Sophia was having a chat with Eleanor and Justin, who really enjoyed her company. I, however, was staring at the space between the couple. They had a very undeniable, strong bond between them. After all, it was Eleanor who changed his life.

   Eleanor's laugh echoed in the room as Justin punched her arm lightly. His cheeks were flushed in a deep shade of red and his arms flexed as his fingers scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment. Their small, cute behavior with each other had me wondering if anything of that sort would ever happen to me if I allowed it to.

   I used to be a hopeless romantic, I know that for sure. I used to fantasize about how I'm going to bump into the man of my dreams on the street and he'd sweep me off of my feet. How he'd propose to me on top of the Eiffel Tower, and how we'd live ever so happily. I used to watch so many cliché, romance movies and read books of that same genre. I used to believe in love and it's exquisite beauty.

   It's ironic how the betrayal of just one person could cause a calamity to your whole world. How it could shatter your dreams, hopes, and beliefs into a million, tiny pieces that could never be mended. How it could make you loose faith and trust in everyone.

"Elizabeth?" The soft voice of Eleanor's mom snapped me out of my trance, gratefully. I did not want to cry at the reminisce of my terrible memories.

"I'm sorry, y-yes?" I stuttered, very embarrassed. Goosebumps filled my body and suddenly, the weather felt colder.

"I was asking, how do you like Philadelphia, so far?" she gave me a sweet, warm smile. I gulped, trying to muster my ability of speech.

"I, um," I cleared my throat. "It's nice. I like it better than San Francisco." I tried my best to make the smile I'm giving her appear less fake that it is.

I really didn't like any of this. I didn't like the fact that I'm in a foreign house with a family I just met. I didn't like that my classmates are part of the family. I definitely dislike the "I'm an innocent girl" persona I'm making visible to them. I didn't like the idea of them thinking I'm anyone they want to get to know.

I didn't want them to know who I really am; a pathetic loser.

"Well, let's have lunch, shall we?" Mr. Edwards announced. His wife nodded with a smile and headed towards the kitchen, and Mom followed behind her. We all stood up from our seats, and made our way to the dining table. All the men took their seats while Eleanor, Sophia, and I went into the kitchen to help with dinner.

Sophia and I took out the plates and utensils and Eleanor took out the grilled chicken. The sweet aroma of the food filling my nose woke my hungry stomach up and caused it to grumble.

When everything was ready, we all sat down in our seats and began eating, ravenously. I was sitting in between Mom and Sophia (I usually have Sophia seated next to me in case she needs help), and Eleanor was sitting right in front of me with Justin on her right. I noticed how Eleanor whispered words in his ears, resulting in Justin blushing and chuckling.

It was a very weird thing for me to watch, for I never knew Mr. Egotistical JerkJustin was capable of feeling shy, let alone blushing. However, I shrugged it off, not wanting to overthink the whole situation.

After dinner, I was forced to go to Eleanor's room with Justin, Eleanor, and Sophia, since Mom enjoys scaring me with her glares. We all entered her room, and Sophia immediately started complimenting the vividly decorated space.

We sat down in a circle on the carpeted floor. Sophia started rambling about her school and how much she enjoys her music class. I didn't utter a word the whole time, for I was very anxious and tensed. However, that changed once Eleanor forced the words out of my mouth.

"So, you didn't expect this today, did you?" I didn't even think about what she asked me. All I was wanting to do was to punch that smirk off her face. It annoyed me, how she knew how much I hated being around people, yet she invited us over. She knew I'd have no choice if it was Mom she told.

"Earth to Elizabeth!" Eleanor waved her hand right in front of my face, snapping me back to reality, where I can't, sadly, make that smirk of hers disappear against her will.

"I didn't." I glared at her. She started laughing so hard that it almost (key word: almost) made me smile.

"Great, just what we wanted." Justin high-fived her. I rolled my eyes and shook my head, and then smiled at Sophia, who was staring at me.

"I don't mean to be nosy or anything, but how long have you guys been dating?" I immediately slapped my mouth after saying that.

I'm so freaking stupid.

I want to ground beneath me to swallow me all up as a whole.

Why did I ask that?

They both made eye contact before giving me a look that only proved how much of a moron they think I am.

Kill me.