Winners and Losers

C h a p t e r  T w e n t y  S i x

||Winners and Losers||

The next few days consisted of a cycle of eat, train, practice powers, sleep, repeat. Cassie took to training with Arielle, but she only ever mumbled a few words at a time. Cade spent his time with Alex, who had forgiven him, even though he was still upset. Zodiac practiced light magic with the twins and Rena practiced dark magic. Cade would distract Cassie during Rena's sessions by having her help him plan for the twins' upcoming evaluation.

The day before was a frenzy of last minute tweaking and perfecting. If Arielle and Alex didn't pass their evaluation, they would be thrown out of Aurealis. They weren't fully native born citizens, so the consequences were different for them. They both knew this, which only pushed them harder. After the day had stretched out, person by person peeled away to retire for the night. Arielle tossed in her bed, but she couldn't sleep. She hadn't been able to the past couple of days. She slipped on her slippers and a robe and walked downstairs. She knocked on Zodiac's doors to see if he was awake. His blue hair and skin peeked out of the crack in the doorway.

"Hello. Can't sleep?" He smiled softly.

Arielle nodded.

"It's okay. Neither can I." Zodiac opened the doors for her. "Come on. I have sometching to show you anyways."

She followed into a living room and sat next to him on a couch. He pulled out letters out of his back pocket.

"These are from the two leaders of the faeries and mermaids. They've been close allies of mine for a very long time. I want you to read these letters."

Arielle took them and quickly scanned them.

"Okay? I mean, I don't-"

"Look at the first letter in each sentence."

"Um... Yes... I have... Info? What's that supposed to mean?"

"The next one, darling."

"We all do? Zodiac, what is this about?"

"I secretly communicated with them to find out more about your parents. They might have valuable knowledge, Arielle. You'll be able to speak with them at the Gala."

Arielle swallowed hard. "Do you think they know who killed them?"

"No, I don't think so. I do believe that they may have the information that will lead us directly to the answer, though."

She looked down for a moment to process her thoughts.

"And, if they do?"

Zodiac grinned. "Then, I'll help you kill whoever it is."

The morning of the evaluation, Cassie, Alex, and Arielle all met up for breakfast. Arielle didn't eat. She said it was nerves, but it was obvious she was still extremely upset about Cade. Cassie told them they would be notified over the overhead speakers when it was time for their evaluation. Until then, she said they could do whatever they wanted to calm any nerves they had. She took off to search for Cade.

"Are you still going to the Gala with Emily?" Arielle asked.

"I guess. I don't see her around much."

Arielle nodded and stared at the table.

"I wish I didn't have to go. Going solo to one of these things is boring."