nineteen

A/N:
I haven't been updating a lot and I'm sorry :(

_____________________

After our amazing dinner, Luke and I lied down on the couch and watched a show on TV.
He had his arms wrapped around me from behind in a spoon position.
"Hey, Luke?" I asked.
"Yeah?"
"Who do you think ransacked my apartment?" I questioned, turning to face him.
He looked away and held a slightly guilty expression on his face.
"I can't tell you, Claire." He sighed.
"You can't tell me?" I asked.
"You can't tell me?" I repeated, more angrily this time.
"What do you mean you can't tell me? This is my life, Luke! I need to know what's going on in it!" I exclaimed, standing up from the couch.
"I can't tell you, its dangerous! I'm trying to protect you!" He yelled back, standing up as well.
"Protect me? Your trying to protect me by keeping me in the dark? I'm sorry Luke, but I just don't believe you."

He looked at me, just stared, for what seemed like forever, his chest heaving up and down from yelling.
Then, after a while, he just sat back down.
"I don't want you to get hurt, Claire. They'll hurt you."
He said so low, I could barely hear him.
He sounded defeated; absolutely devastated.
"Who? Who will hurt me, Luke?" I asked in a calmer, quieter tone.
"I can't. They told me not to." He said, putting his head in his hands.
He began to sob as he said, "They said if I tell you, then they'll kill both of us."

I stared at him blankly for a few moment, not saying a word.
"What did I do?" I asked, in a monotone voice.
"What did I do to deserve this?"
"I don't know, Claire. But, that's why I found you in the first place." He said, trying to move closer to me.
"What do you mean?" I asked, scoping away from him.
He sighed and replied, "I overheard some of them talking. They were plotting to kidnap you. So, I found you and kept them from doing it."
"Who?" I asked, hoping he would finally give in and tell me.
"Fine, if you have to know. I'll tell you. But, you have to promise to act oblivious. They cannot find out that you know." He warned, his face overtook with seriousness.
"I promise."

"Okay, when I was younger, I didn't make very good decisions. I needed quick cash, so I did some work with some drug dealers." As he said that, he noticed my eyes get wide and he quickly said, "I know it was dumb. After about a week of doing it, I wanted out. They were making me kill people that didn't have the money on time. They made me do so many unthinkable acts and I didn't want to live like that anymore."
He sighed and ran a hand over his face before continuing.
"But, the organization began to grow and they began to gain more power. It's now a very large group of drug dealers and they make a lot of money. And with money, comes power. Enough power to keep me with them. I tried to get out once before, but they threatened everyone I love. My whole family. That's why I had to find a way to leave. I had to leave my family, I couldn't let them get hurt. So, when they started growing and having more people in different states selling for them, I requested to move locations. I came here and I've been here for about two years now."
I couldn't believe this. This is a huge deal. Someone was trying to kidnap me and I don't even know what I did wrong.
"Can you not, like, revolt or something? Surely there are more people that want to do the same, of its grown as much as you say." I suggested, because honestly, this was scaring the crap out of me. I couldn't comprehend Luke being in on something like this.
"That's the thing," he began, putting a hand on my leg and I let him. "their big on privacy. I have no idea who the leader is. I don't even know who any of his important henchman are. I'm one of the unimportant sellers, but for some reason they won't let me go. They have a group of highly important people in the organization. There's the leader, his top ranked henchmen, his personal assistant, and he even has a spy. I've never seen any of these people, there are sort of middle class people that get to see the henchmen. When the leader needs someone to do something, he tells his assistant, his assistant tells the henchmen, the henchmen tell some of the middle class sellers, and the middle class sellers pass it on to the lowest class sellers. And it's the same if we lower class have information that needs to get through to the leader. We tell the middle class and it goes on until it gets to the leader."
"These are the most complicated drug dealers that I have ever heard of." I told him, still not completely understanding all of what he just said. 
"Yes and their also highly dangerous, so be careful."

And then, I thought of something.
"Wait, if they want to kidnap me, then why didn't they? Why didn't they kidnap me just now, when they had the chance?"
He looked at me with a perplexed look on his face.
"I have no idea." He sighed.

I had a weird feeling of anxiety in my stomach at the thought of being kidnapped by a large organization of drug dealers.
Why would they want me anyway?
How do they even know who I am?
I thought about these questions for a second and before I knew it, I was making a run for the bathroom to empty my stomach.