Chapter 15: Decisions

Nhicola

I don't know who that woman is... all I know is that she tripped over an obvious mop. Yet she somehow has authority over us?!

The nerve!

I returned to my dorm room and heaved a heavy sigh.

With Olivia still in isolation, I have the room all to myself. But it feels lonely here without Olivia's funny and slightly offensive remarks and jokes. Actually, I find it a miracle that we didn't kill each other already.

We're both bipolar. Guess that's why they made us roommates. One is just severely bipolar. I don't know if that's the proper term but nevertheless, it's a way to describe her.

I'm probably the passive one, while Olivia's the aggressive one.

I miss her. Even if she starts laughing at how lonely I've been, or even if she starts hitting me because... oh I don't even know anymore.

If I could say the F and S word, I would say fruk this $#1t because I'm going to visit Demeter no matter what their rules are or what they say!

"Yes! That's what I'll do!" I actually felt confidence in this choice. I might even call this the right choice.

What if I just visit Demi without a permit?

The heck?! Where did that thought come from? Am I going that insane that I would go against the rules and Mrs. Daqil? Mrs. Daqil is one of the nicest people here--well, as nice as the teachers can get--so I don't exactly want to go against her.

But then again, has she done anything outside of her work and has she done anything that won't just benefit her? Everything she's done "for us" was always in her favor.

I want to say the F word, but my past morals won't let me. No matter how much I hang out with people that curse.

Sometimes I wonder what would it be like if I had a rebellious personality. It would probably be a lot more exciting, but I'm afraid being rebellious is far beyond me.

Visiting Olivia is also beyond me. Ever since Olivia's escape attempt, plus the recent murders, security tightened to the max. And the isolation rooms are especially guarded.

Demi it is then.

.....

I tried really hard to be quiet and sneak around the grounds without anyone noticing. It was harder than I thought. And it took me longer than I thought.

Annoying.

I still had some free time before curfew, but I have to make this quick.

Finally, after some sneaking, some questions, and a sandwich, I finally arrived at the special rooms.

The special rooms are really far away, but not as far as the isolation house, so another reason to visit Demi first. Since it's getting late, there aren't that many people so it's a little easier to sneak around.

I walked the familiar hallway and saw Demi's room number.

I was filled with relief as I got closer to the door. I stopped in front of it and contemplated whether or not to knock.

"Ok... knock, don't knock..?" I muttered to myself.

I tried turning the knob and felt it open. Strange. As far as I know, they always lock the door from the outside. Unless they forgot to lock the door. But that seldom ever happens. Being the curious person I am, I turned the knob some more, and slowly opened the door.

"Demi? It's me, Nhicola."

"NHICOLA GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!"

I barely processed what she said before I saw a shadow coming at me from Demi's room. I ducked away instinctively.

What I saw... it made my stomach drop and my mouth dry.

A man with a doctor's coat, a medical hat and mask, gloves, and a sharp knife in his left hand. His eyes were crazy, crazy with killing intent.

I was frozen. I could feel fear all over me. He's going to kill me, kept repeating over and over again like some sort of mantra.

He raised his knife, and I still felt frozen in fear. He's going to kill me and RUN, kept on repeating in my head. But I couldn't do the latter. I wanted to scream, but my mouth was hanging open like an idiot, and no words came out.

Then a blur passes by. It takes me a moment to realize Demeter came running at the man, tackling him. The man was not expecting to be tackled, so he fell, I saw the knife fall out of his grip.

"Wha..." I manage to get out.

"Grab the knife!" Demeter yelled, trying to restrain the guy. "Quickly!"

I processed her words slowly. "Oh... right!"

I grabbed it as quick as I could, but at the same time, the guy broke free.

"I'LL KILL YOU!" His voice roared. Making me freeze in fear more.

I was on the ground with the knife. I could stab him, end all the killings, solve the case. But I couldn't bring myself to raise the knife at him.

Demeter had panic attacks, and I've never felt panic attacks before, but with my heart racing super fast, my nerves racing as well, this is probably the closest thing to a panic attack I will ever feel. And probably my last.

He reached out his hand, but Demeter wrapped her arms around his neck, restraining him more. She tried to pull him back, but the guy was obviously stronger, and Demeter was losing the battle.

"Nhicola, quick! Hit him!"

H-hit him? As in stab him? With this knife?!

"D-Demi... I-I can't do that!"

"It's either stab him or we both die!" The man struggled harder, Demi was loosing her grip. "Hurry before--"

The man broke loose, making Demi fall on her butt. He let out a roar of anger. The roar sent shivers down my spine and I felt tears in the corners of my eyes.

I don't want this... I don't want to die...

The man lunged at me, and I let my fear take over me.

I remember hearing myself scream, and my hands thrusting the knife into his stomach.