Chapter 51

Chapter 51
Marcus
I sat at the dining table as we all ate breakfast. I kept waiting for someone to tell me to go back to the kitchen even though it was Dara who invited me to eat with them.
Lilly sat across from me and every so often I caught a grin that was slowly forming on her lips which seemed to mirror mine.
Jim ate his cereal, reading his paper. And like Lilly and I, I noticed Jim and Dara continuing to gaze at each other.
The only one that wasn't happy this fine morning was Charlotte who continued to eat her cereal without looking at anyone.
When the doorbell rang, I frowned as everyone gave each other confused looks.
"I wonder who that is," Jim stated, folding his paper and standing.
Just as he did, I felt a buzz in my pocket. I swallowed and pulled out my phone.
1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Ignoring the looks on the girls' faces, I followed Jim out.
"We have the right to search your property."
I frowned when I could see a number of cops behind him. One I recognised from the question room but that was it.
"Not without a -."
I saw him hand Jim a sheet of paper before they pushed past him and stormed up the hall. As they came past me, one did the same as they did to Jim and pushed me up against the wall pinning me by the chest.
"What the hell is going on!" I head Dara yelled as ten of them split into two groups. Three went into the kitchen as the others headed up the stairs.
"Don't interfere with them!" Jim yelled as we followed the cops into the kitchen, "their just doing their job."
The five of us paused for a second around the dining table before Charlotte bolted for the door with Lilly not far behind her.
"Charlotte! Lilly!" Jim yelled but it fell on deaf ears.
When one of the cops started going through the kitchen draws and throwing everything he saw on the ground, Dara lost control as well, "get out of them."
Jim turned to me with serious eyes, "get upstairs and try and control them."
I nodded knowing that he was talking about Charlotte and Lilly, not the cops. I ran all the way to the top of the stairs becoming overwhelmed by the noise.
A baby crying, crashing and the girls yelling came out of the rooms forming one big voice.
"Get the hell out of my son's room!" Charlotte yelled at a cop that had turned the nursery upside down.
"Get out!" Her yells became growls and I knew it wouldn't be long till she started hitting the guy.
From the doorway, I yelled over her, "Charlotte, get down stairs!"
Her gaze turned to me and I honestly thought she was going to kill me while holding Joseph to her hip.
"Don't you dare tell me what to do!" She yelled in a sharp tone.
"You get down stairs before they arrest you!" I yelled, now ordering.
Her eyes narrowed but she knew I was right. She pushed past me, purposely budging me as she did. I grunted and turned into Lilly's room. She stood, with her hand on her forehead, watching the cops. One cop pulled out her clothing from her draws, one was throwing everything from desk to the floor and another one was going through her wardrobe. I paced over to her and wrapped my arm around her waist. She jumped at my touch.
"Are you okay?" I asked.
She nodded but she seemed out of breath.
"Yeah but, why are they doing this?"
I shrugged knowing only one reason, "they're trying to find something that isn't here."
She looked up at me with helpless eyes until the cop by the desk picked up her diary. Moving out of my grip, she snatched her diary out of his hands.
"That's private," she told him.
"I have to look through it."
He held out his hand thinking that she would give it up easily.
"No, you don't."
Frustration spread across his face as his first plan failed. His large hands gripped the book shocking both Lilly and I. I thought she would let go but she didn't. The fight for the book became a tug-of-war. I thought that the other cop would give up and let her have it, but instead, he swung his hand at her, knocking her out of the way. She fell backwards making my reflexes react to step forward and catch her under her arms. Steadying her on her feet, I step forward and pointed my finger at him, "touch her again and I'll give you a real reason to charge me for murder."
He just shrugged like my threat meant nothing. That made my anger grow but I forced myself to do nothing.
All he did was flick through a couple of pages before throwing the book on the ground with the other items.
I tugged her close to me and whispered in her ear, "how about you go down stairs?"
I suggested it instead of ordering it unlike I had done with Charlotte.
She looked up to me and asked, "What about your room?" She asked.
I sighed. I hadn't even thought about that.
"Just go down."
She nodded and did as I asked as I followed her out but turned into my room instead of going down the stairs.
It wasn't a mess like the others. Mainly because all that was in there was a bed, an empty chest of draws, an empty wardrobe and my bag.
I had to squint my eyes to read their names on the cops' uniforms. The one that was throwing all my clothes out of my bag was Woods and the other one that searched through my bed, under the covers and under the mattress was Tuner.
"I like what you've done with the place," I stated leaning on the doorframe.
Tuner looked up and glanced at me then went back to whatever he was doing. Woods picked up my bag and looked at me with confusion on his face.
"It's a bag," I said in the brightest voice I could master.
"Yes, I know what it is," he snapped, "why do you have it?"
I shrugged, my voice full of sarcasm, "does it look like I'm living here full time?"
"In-laws aren't liking you Baily?" Tuner asked.
I shrugged again. It was my turn to ask questions.
"What does Isaac want?" I asked them.
They both froze.
"I don't know what you're talking about," Woods piped up.
I sighed. We were going to have to do this the hard way.
"Okay, what is his message?" I asked.
"We have no idea what you're talking about," Woods repeated again.
"This is only for your case," Tuner told me.
I shook my head not believing him but I turned around and headed down stairs. As I did, I felt a buzz in my pocket again. I took out my phone and swallowed.
Ready or not here I come

Lilly
The police left after an hour with nothing. The five of us stood in the kitchen in utter silence, trying to process what had just happened. I stood near Marcus feeling safe with him behind me. Joseph had only just settle down and sat silently on Charlotte's up. Mamma looked tired like just the idea of having the police in our house was too much for her to take. Pa had a blank look on his face as if he was still trying to think of the next cause of action. What was the next cause of action?
When Charlotte spoke, her voice seemed like yells in our silence, "He has to go."
All our heads shot up, slowly wakening. My heart felt tight at the very thought.
"Hold on Charlotte," Pa said trying to calm her but it was no use.
She was already fired up from the police trashing her room and Joseph's.
"No!" She yelled, "We had none of this before he came here. We had no police at our house and no bloody reporters either."
I hadn't even realized that there had been reporters here, but I suppose they had. Marcus' story was all over the news.
"That is still no reason to kick him out," Mamma said.
I found myself surprise that she was sticking up for him. I was even more surprise to realize that Marcus had grown very still and quiet.
"Oh isn't it?" she asked not really wanting an answer, "How about the fact that he sneaked into Lilly's bedroom window to sleep with her –."
"That's not what happened – ," I buttered in but she kept going.
"Lied to her about who he was –,"
"Charlotte –," I tried to stop her.
"And is probably is just waiting to screw the rest of us over the moment he has a –."
"If you speak one more word Charlotte that isn't something about rainbows and unicorns, I swear to god, I will make sure you will regret it!"
The shock that spread across everyone's faces made my already beating heart beat even faster. I was shocked myself. I had never yelled at anyone in my family, not even my aunt. My hands shook and I suddenly became nervous of what she would say next. Everyone was quiet for so long that I began to wonder of I had even said anything.
I jumped when I felt Marcus move behind me. He gently pushed passed me and walked towards the door.
"Marcus," my voice cracked when he turned down the hall, "Marcus?"
I ran to the door and froze when I saw the front door shut behind him. Anger lit through me again as I turned around and gave Charlotte the dirtiest look I could master.
"Don't you ever speak to me again," I hissed through my teeth, then followed Marcus out the door.