Chapter 16

Chapter 16
Marcus
Sweat ran down the sound of my face as the blood around my body started to pump. Voices around me started to became blurred as I tried to block them out. My heart felt like it would explode at every minute.
I hated rush hour some times.
With Tony in the background yelling "passare la salsa." Which is pass the sauce in Italian.
He would also mutter swear words as the orders kept coming in. It was always like this at seven o'clock and didn't slow down till eight-thirty. But it made the time go faster.
I couldn't describe this feeling. It was a whole new meaning to hunger. It was different to when I was sleeping with Sophie. But somehow it was the same thing.
Sophie and I had a system. We were each other's booty call. But when I wanted to meet up with her, it wasn't the hunger I felt now.
It was a hunger for Lilly. To help Lilly, to protect her from those night terrors. I couldn't let her fragile body fight them alone.
Tony tapped me on the shoulder, making me flinch. He didn't seem to notice.
"So Marcus, got a beautiful flower on the horizon?" He asked out of the blue.
I frowned siring the sauce in the pot.
"Don't you have meatballs to make?" I asked hoping he would go back to them.
"I'm waiting on the sauce."
I paused thinking about what he meant. I shook myself awake and scooped some sauce with my metal yodel and placed it on his plate.
As he walked over to the little window where the waiter came to pick up the dishes, he continued, "You just seem more eager to leave."
He said it like I couldn't possibly want to leave because I hated it here, which made me smile.
"Haven't we had this conversation?" I asked feeling it awfully familiar.
"Ah, but that was then, this is now,"
"Well, I'm still the lone wolf that I always was," I stated trying to ignore the lie.
Could lone wolves still be lone wolves if they have, I don't know, a cub with them?
"Mmm, I don't believe you," he stated moving back to his station by the meatballs.
"Why?" I asked growing a little annoyed.
People couldn't think that I was anything different than a man with a dark shadow behind him.
"Why should you think anything more than someone that just gets by fine and most importantly, by himself?"
He shrugged not noticing my annoyance or if he did, he didn't care.
"But I still remember the Marcus that came for an interview. There was something very dark in him," I nodded, believing it, "There's light in you now Marcus. It's small. But it's defiantly there."

Lilly
I had let my guard down. With two nights of no night terrors, I was unprepared for what would happy tonight.
I was in a seat and something I was in my mouth. A cloth, or something. When I went to move my arms, something ruff stopped them. A rope, I think. My ribs felt light and I felt winded when I tried to stand. I was tied to a chair?
I didn't know where I was. Black surrounded me and the air was icy cold. A single light shone about a meter away, making only that part of the building light. It was like a kind of, spot light. But it showed the emptiness of the room and the cement floor. Could I be in a warehouse?
My cheek stung and felt tight. Why was I crying?
My tied hands shook and my whole body seemed to tremble. Why was I so scared?
My heart pounded and I thought at any moment I would faint. I had never been so terrified.
My blood ran cold at the sound of strong, solid footsteps. I let out a cry when I heard another one.
And another one.
And another one. 
I started to tremble when I felt the demon's presence behind me. I couldn't stop shaking forcing the tears out of my eyes. When I felt strong hands, cup my shoulders and I jumped and yelped like a hurt dog. He bend over my shoulder and whispered in my ear.
"Now, now, Lilly. Why are you so frightened?"
His breath against my cheek was the hardest to get over. It was hot and sent shivers up and down my spine.
I flinched when I felt what I think was a thumb brush my cheek.
"Why are you crying?" he asked, moving even closer to my face.
I let out another whimper, feeling like that was his answer.
Pigeon
My heart skipped a beat at the sound of Marcus' voice but I was still in the warehouse with the dark stranger behind me.
"Pigeon? That's what he calls you, isn't it?" he asked running his finger over my ear.
Pige
The demon gave a bitter chuckle, "How sweet?"
"Pigeon,"
I shot up, my heart rocketing. Marcus' hand held my shoulder making me wonder if he had shaken me away.
"It's okay, it was only a dream," Marcus told me.
Marcus.
Marcus was in my room.
Marcus was next to me.
Marcus was in my bed.
I sat up onto my elbow trying to get the thought through my head.
"Marcus, what are you doing here?" I asked, not even bothering to lower my voice.
"I came to check on you. When I saw you shaking, I climbed through the window."
I nodded accepting his answer. I was growing use to his, I guess rudeness when it came to boundaries and peoples' property.
I flopped back on my back trying to forget the feel of the stranger's breath on my cheek. My eyes seemed to wonder to Marcus' who's seemed to be somewhere a bit south from my eyes.
"What are you looking at?" I asked, frowning.
He shook himself awake as guilt seemed to wash over him.
"Nothing," he said turning away, making my worry wonder.
Why was he still in my bed?
"Marcus," I started, "Why are you still here?"
He looked as if he didn't understand the question.
"I'm not just going to leave you, not after seeing that," he stated.
"So what, you're just going to sleep in my bed?" I asked sounding more horrified then I truly was.
"Yeah, what's wrong with that?" he asked.
I went to speak but found the argument pointless. He would found some reason to stay. And the only arguments I could think of were all from another person.
"Well, then," I started, "how are we going to do this?"
I had never felt so senseless. This part of life was so foreign to me that I didn't know the rules. Were there rules? I wanted to groan in frustration.
"It's a big enough bed. Do you want me to put a pillow between us?"
I tilted my head, knowing that he was being stupid.
"Don't be silly," I told him.
"Look, Pige, I know that this is very new to you, but its fine."
Even though I knew he was just saying that for my comfort but I found that every word he said to me was the truth.
A lump formed in my thought at the memory of my night terror. And as if reading my mind, he asked, "Are you ready to fall asleep again?"
I swallowed, feeling frightened at the possibility.
"Will you count sheep?" I asked, trying to ignore how childish like my voice sounded.
It was his turn to look stupid at me.
"Of course Pige, I will always count sheep."
I nodded, shifting lower under my doona, trying to get comfortable.
"One sheep...two sheep...three sheep."