Chapter 40

Chapter 40
Lilly
I was in so much pain. Something had crawled inside of me and had lit my whole body alight from the inside. Slowly taking over my body systems one by one. First my lungs, then my brain and then finally my heart.
My fists hit the mattress so that I would focus on the pain that rain up my arm than the pain that spread all through me body. My face dug between the pillows trying to muffle my screams.
Something inside of me snapped. My screams just became small whimpers as sleep began to run away from me and my eyes slowly opened through the tears. They stung from hours of crying and my head pounded from drinking a whole bottle of rum. I was clearly hangover.
I had never experienced the feeling for myself and only watched the experience of a hangover in the movies. But I felt like what the characters did in the movies. My mouth was dry, I had a massive headache, I was covered in sweat and I felt like I could vomit.
Finding the strength, I slowly stumbled to my feet. My room started to spin and I felt something in the back of my throat. Holding my mouth, I ran for the bathroom. I felt my whole body go numb as I starting having a staring completion with the toilet bowl. My whole stomach turned but nothing was coming up.
"Charlotte! Lilly! Sarah!" I froze at the sound of my father's voice.
"We're home!" Mamma called.
They were back. I was still frustrated that Charlotte had told them that I had gone missing for three days and I'm sure that Aunt Sarah would have folded and told my parents about me running away from home for a week.
I slowly stood, not wanting my head to spin again and made my way down the hall and down the stairs.
There they stood, taking off their hats and coats hugging Charlotte, Aunt Sarah and the twins. How long had I been asleep?
"Oh you didn't have to cut your trip shot," Aunt Sarah said hugging Mamma.
"Oh well, when Charlotte told us that she hadn't seen Lilly in three days and when you said that she didn't come home for a week, we didn't have much choice," Mamma told her.
"Yes, where is she anyway?" Pa asked making my insides tense.
"She's still asleep, Pa," Charlotte told him.
"Still, it's nine-thirty?"
I could see the confusion on his face. I had always been up by now.
"Lilly! Lilly!" he called out for me.
"Jim, just leave her," Mamma stopped him, taking his arm before he could run off to my room.
"Yes, just leave her," Aunt Sarah said acting as if Mamma had never said anything, "Lilly is just going through a faze, everyone goes through it. Well, except my girls," I rolled my eyes, and watched the look the twins gave each other as they forced back a giggle, "Plus I want to hear about your trip."
And with that, they moved into the sitting room.
My body soon became too heavy for my legs and I began to slide down the wall and sat down on the stairs.
My life was going to go back to normal and I didn't know how I felt about that. My heart ached at the very thought of being ignored again but my mind was telling me that it was the best thing for me. And I couldn't agree more. All I wanted to do was hide and not be seen by anyone, or anything. If I just turned into a ghost right now, I would be if not happy, then maybe free. I didn't want to be the daughter that lost her virginity to a soul sucking murderer. I don't think I could live with that.

Marcus
People crowded me, trying to get to the turnstiles. They kept frowning at me, as if I was the rude one for standing around in a busy train station. It wasn't my fault, it truly wasn't this time. Rose and Patrick had been eating each other's faces off for five minutes. Without control, I always found my eyes looking at them. I always pretended to be disguised and annoyed but I found that my heart aching inside every time I did. I was longing for something that I could no longer have.
I focused on the still empty train line. It wouldn't be long till the train came to take us to London. My eyes looked up at the clock for the tenth time since we had got here. Five to nine. The time meant two things for me. Thing one, five minutes before the train came. Thing two, it would be five minutes before I would have had to start my shift.
My brain forced the sound of Tony's disappointed voice when I told him that I quit without notice. He had begged me to think about it but my mind was made up. I couldn't be there when he found out the truth of my past. I also couldn't wait around till Isaac did something to his restaurant just because it was one of the few places I felt home in.
My eyes flicked to Patrick and Rose again, without me even realizing.
Patrick pulled back from her lips but made no attempt to move.
"I have to go," he told her.
A cheeky grin formed on her lips as she reached up for his again. I rolled my eyes when he willingly took them. We were going to be late.
Rose dropped down and pattered his chest, sighing.
"Okay, you better –," she stopped when he cupped her cheek and brought his lips to hers once again.
My head dropped back and looked up to the ceiling as I groaned. They were pathetic and sickening and I wonder if Lilly and I will ever be like that. My head shot forward as I frowned. Why was Lilly in every thought I had? Even when I hated what I was thinking about. Even when I hated what I saw. I wished that Lilly and I could do that. I hated this feeling.
Finally, they let go of each other's lips and took hands as they walked over to me.
"Are you ready?" Patrick asked.
I frowned, "Are you?"
A cheeky smile formed on Patrick's lips as Rose began to shoot draggers from her eyes.
"If anything happens to him, I will personally find you can kill you," she threatened.
I forced back a chuckle at the idea of Rose, who was a small human being, take me on. But my eyes found their way to the small bump of a belly and bit my lip. What was Patrick leaving behind?
I forced myself to nod and look her in the eyes.
"Yep, I promise," I forced myself to say, mostly for her comfort.
Her eyes narrowed and if looks could kill I would be dead and buried. She didn't believe me. I didn't believe me.
When I heard the hiss of breaks from the train, I turned without saying anything and placed my ticket in the box, waiting for the light to turn green before I walked through the turnstile.
I didn't have to look around to know that Rose gave Patrick one last kiss before he joined me on the other side. I found my heart aching for her, knowing what it felt to watch the one that you love walk away. Although in my case, watch the one you love run away. 
Patrick and I were seated in a booth on the train in no time. He sat across from me with his fingers to his lips as he looked out the window. I looked out the window, trying to see if I could spot Rose at all. I couldn't. But still, he looked out at the platform just because he knew that she was out there. I felt the dagger in my chest again when I imagined Lilly being out there too. But no one was out there for me.
It was a good solid ten minutes after the train set off before either one of us spoke to each other.
"So," I started, "How far along is she?"
Patrick's head shot sideways to look at me with confusion and little of anger on his face.
"What?" he snapped.
This was the first time he had looked at me since we left the station. I tried not to stare at his scars and forced myself to repeat the question.
"Ah, Rose, how far along is she?"
Realization flooded over his face as well as guilt for snapping. But he still looked at me in confusion.
"How did you know?" he asked.
I opened my mouth to tell him but then realized how it sounded. I ears dropped on your conversation and over heard what you said about the pregnancy test.
I shook the thought away and instead said, "Ahh, it's obvious isn't it. I mean, I remember Rose as a small chick, and well, she's not quite," I said, kind of digging myself in a hole. Panicking, I also added, "And it makes sense doesn't it. Why she really didn't want you to go, right?"
Patrick shrugged, accepting my answer but only just believing it. I knew he couldn't fully trust me yet.
When silence grew upon us, I asked again, "Anyway, how far along is she?"
He sighed and sat up, "three or four months, not too sure."
"Well that's great," I said surprising myself more than him, "I'm happy for you. I mean, your married, got twins, another kid on the way, Pinecone Manner up and running again, I really am happy for you."
I really was happy for him. After all he had been through, he deserved this. What he didn't deserve was me coming back into his life and dragging him into my problems.
"So," he started, "Who is she?"
"What?" I snapped without realizing it.
I didn't mean to snap at him, he had just caught me off guard and the question made me nervous.
Patrick didn't look hurt though, "Well, you're clearly not doing this for me, so –."
"Hey," I stopped him. I couldn't help but be offended, "I am doing this for you, why would I –."
"Marcus, come on, even in high school you only ever thought of yourself."
I was about to argue that but it was true. And I guess it was true now. I just didn't want to admit it to myself.
"So, who was she?" Patrick asked again.
I sighed, hitting my thighs with my fists, "Lilly."
Patrick looked surprise for some reason.
"Really, she sounds like a –."
"Like a smart, beautiful, little lady that shouldn't have any business with being with a guy like me, yeah she's exactly that," I snapped.
A smirk formed on Patrick's lips as he said, "I was actually going to say she sounds like a real person."
I dropped my head feeling my cheek burn with embarrassment. I had just gone off my head for no reason. That sounds like most of the times I was with Patrick.
"Well, she is," I muttered making Patrick smile.
"So what happened?" he asked.
I shrugged, wasn't it obvious.
"What do you think, she found out. She found out about everything, Jeremy Fisher, Isaac, even about you," Patrick's eyes widen at that, "I tried to keep it all a secret from her but Isaac made sure that she would find out. And she –."
"Then she went screaming," Patrick finished.
I groaned, dropping my head in my hands. I hated feeling like this.
"Oh god, Pat, I hate feeling like this. How do you stand it?" I asked.
He shrugged, "I don't. I mean, I remember when Rose went off to America, I was heartbroken. My life went straight back to what it was before I ever met her."
"But you forgave her, for leaving?" I asked, forgetting that the topic came up last night in their fight.
"Of course I did. She had to say goodbye to her father and she needed to find the person that she was without me. Even though it hurt like hell."
I nodded, feeling a little hopeful. But Patrick's situation and my situation were two different situations.
Silence became upon us again and I instantly started to think of question to ask him. When I find one, I dropped my head annoyed how much I wanted to know the answer.
I sighed and asked, "Have you heard...anything about Camalet?"
Patrick smiled, tilting his head as if he felt sorry for me. He did.
"The last thing I heard was that your Mammella took over when you went to prison. Rosalia just had a baby and I'm not sure what Lucia's doing."
I nodded. I had only asked about Camalet and yet he had told me about my family. I was surprised to find myself grateful realizing that I wanted to know about my family. Even if they wanted nothing to do with me.
I was about to stay something when someone walked past our booth and Patrick, quickly turned his head and covered half his face with his hand. The side of his face where his scars were. The reality of what I had done was finally hitting me in the face.  I thought I had already faced it. I thought I had already come to terms that I had ruined my best friend's life. But I hadn't.
Because of me, Patrick would always have to hide. It was all because of me that Lilly would probably stay heartbroken for the rest of her life. Because of me, my heart would always be just a useless organ in my body.
I felt a buzz in my pocket. It was my phone that I hardly ever used before now. Confusion spread across my face when I didn't recognised the number.
"Who is it?" Patrick asked.
I opened the message and could feel my blood come alight with fire.

Training at five, if you're not there, you will know what will happen

It was Isaac.
"What, what is it?" Patrick asked.
I sighed and said, "Looks like when I get off the train, I have a training season."
"So, it's really happening. Isaac is really doing this."
I nodded exhaling, "Yep, looks like it."