Chapter 30

Chapter 30
Lilly
It was nine-thirty when Marcus' alarm woke me. My eyes opened slowly, trying to recall what had happened last night. Marcus had had a nightmare about his past. He had also told me about his friend Patrick and also admitted that he had done something to him. Though I couldn't possibly believe that. Maybe I was in denial, but I couldn't see the man I knew doing something horrible to his friend.
I turned on my back and I watched him as he pulled on his work pants.
"You shouldn't be working today," I croaked still half asleep.
"I have to Pige, not all of us are set up for life," he told me, not trying to be hurtful.
"So what do you expect me to do today? Stay here and worry about you?" I asked, not expecting an answer.
He turned around and crawled on his hands and knees to me.
"Well, you could always catch up on the sleep you've been missing out."
I scoffed and gave him a you better be joking look. He chuckled and crawled back off me.
"I thought you said that Tony was a good guy," I asked really not wanting him to work today.
"He is, but I need more of an excuse then not getting enough sleep to call in sick," he told me.
"You had a night terror Marcus that's not -."
"No Pigeon, you have night terrors, I have..." He didn't finish the sentence.
I then got the idea that he was embarrassed about having a night terror. That it would be like calling him weak if he admitted that he had one.
"It's not something to be ashamed of," I told him.
He froze like a statue in the city, motionless as he thought. I watched him sigh and rub his hand against his forehead.
"I have to go, or I'll be late," he stated, turning around, kissing my check and leaving me where I sat in the bed.
I flopped back in the bed, feeling exhausted. Maybe I might catch up on that sleep.

Marcus
My mind was in anarchy. Someone had taken the chest that contained my deepest darkest memories and smashed it into a million pieces. Now all my memories ran havoc, taking over all my thinking of Lilly and anything living. My slowly healing heart was now beginning to stop again.
When I came to the corner, a flash of a memory took over. All the air inside of my lungs was stolen and the force of the memory forced me against a building wall.
I swallowed, trying to catch my breath as my normal version returned.
Enough of the memories. Get past today. I thought to myself but I knew it wouldn't help.
I had never forces so hard at work in my life. I memorised everything dish I made. It wasn't long till every meal I made was identical.
Just get through the shift I told my weak body as I felt another memory take my mind.
I was at Pinecone Manner. The marble shined in the light from the stain glass. I had always loved the void in this place.
Marcus!
There was a scream but the balaclava blocked my side view. When I turned, a maid was on the ground.
Marcus! What are you doing! 
"Let's hurry," Isaac said.
We headed for the stairs like were we soldiers, carrying our axes
Marcus!
"Marcus, wake up!"
I blinked, realizing where I was and the pain that was shooting through my arm and hand. In my daze, I had placed my hand on the stove.
"Damn it," I groaned feeling the pain fully now.
"Marcus, what the hell were you thinking?" Tony asked, as I paced over to the wash room.
I turned on the tapped and placed my burning hand under it. it was cool but made the stinging worse.
"Marcus, what the hell were you thinking?" Tony asked again, with one hand on his hip and the other on the sinks edge.
"I don't know, I was...distracted," I lied horribly.
"Distracted, distracted enough to burn your hand."
It was only then that I noticed the red colour of my hand. Holy cow it hurt.
"I don't know what to say," I shrugged.
"Oh well I'll tell you what to say," he said angry, "You're going to go home, get some sleep, come tomorrow more focused."
I nodded feeling guilty. I hated to let Tony down. He was a great and kind man and didn't deserve to have a murderer in his kitchen. He would just be another person I had disappointed. Another person that would run far, far away once they find out the truth. They always find out the truth.

Lilly
I frowned when Marcus stormed through the door. It was barely twelve o'clock, he wasn't supposed to be back till four.
"Hey, what's going on?" I asked watching him flop at the end of the bed.
He groaned, "I burnt my hand, ahh,"
He stretched out his hand and examined it. It was only then that I notice his red blistered hand.
"I'll go get you a towel," I told him, pulling off the sheet and taking his white shirt that I had been wearing for the past four days.
When I returned with a soggy hand towel that I got from the bathroom, Marcus was sitting, picking at the blisters on his hand.
"Hey," I said flicking away his other hand as I sat down next to him, "Let me."
He sighed as I wrapped the towel around his hand. He didn't look like he was in pain though I knew that it must be stinging. But he couldn't look me in the eye. He just sat there, watching me as I mended his hand.
"So," I started, "Are you going to tell me what happened?"
He sighed again, "I was, thinking, burnt it on the stove."
"Oh my goodness," I couldn't hide the shock in my voice.
What had taken over his mind that made him not realize his hand was burning?
"What were you –?" I stopped and bit my lip when Marcus kissed my check in the soft and cute way he normally did. I felt him tuck a lock of hair behind my ear as he gaze my cheek.
He sighed again and pulled away.
"Pigeon," he started, "if you want to go home."
I felt a panic in my chest.
"You want to get rid of me," I asked in a panic.
"What, no –?"
"Marcus, I thought that –."
"Pigeon –."
"I'm mean that things have been hard –."
"Pigeon," he stopped me, "The last thing I want is for you to leave."
He told me, making me relax a little.
"I just mean, if you don't like it here or if you feel unsafe then –."
"I don't feel that way," I buttered in.
He seemed surprised, "You don't?"
"No. I don't want to go back to a place where I'm invisible to everyone I meet, including my family," he chuckled at my misery, "I want to stay here as long as I can."
He nodded, "So, three weeks sounds about right?"
I shrugged, "maybe even longer."