Chapter 22

Chapter 22
Lilly
"I don't understand, what did those three men want?" I asked as I sat on what could be called a bed as Marcus dabbed my eye with a wet tissue. I felt stupid for crying but so many emotions had been flooding my mind that I didn't know what else to do.
"Well, let's just say they wanted something from you that it didn't matter if you said no to. Tilt your head," he told me.
I did feeling the support of his hand on the back of my neck. Realizing what he meant, I asked, "Do you mean, that they were, going to..?"
I lifted my head back straight so that I could look into his frightful eyes. His silence gave me my answer.
"Why would men do that?" I asked, feeling my skin crawl at the thought. What if Marcus hadn't had come?
"They were drunk, Pige. And some guys are just like that."
I nodded, swallowing as I tilted my head back for him.
"So, are you going to tell me what happened?" he asked me.
I feared that he might. He stopped what he was doing and allowed me to look straight again.
I immediately shook my head, taking the blame, "I shouldn't have said what I did."
"Pigeon, if you think that I'm going to believe that you are at fault here then you're wrong. Because you are the one sitting here with the bruised eye."
I knew he was right, but I couldn't let them take the whole blame.
"Anyway, tell me what happened?" he asked again.
I swallowed, trying to recall what had happened.
"Well, I was in the piano room, trying to practice, Lei and Rong were dancing around, being stupid. Anyway, Lei came over and slammed the piano lid down, I'm amazed that I didn't lose my fingers really. We got into an argument about them going out at night and then somehow it was about how I was nothing to this family," when I saw Marcus' jaw tighten, I quickly continued, "I asked about where her parents were and she hit me and I fell to the floor. After that it gets a bit cloudy. Aunt Sarah came in, I think, started screaming and hitting and –."
"She had no right to say those things to you," Marcus butted in before I could finish. I could see it in his eyes and saw his clutched fists. He was furious, but he was holding back. Both for me.
Trying to ignore that, I added, "Anyway, I knew I couldn't stay and there was nowhere else for me to go, well nowhere that would understand why I left."
"Well, I'm glad you did. I'm always here for you, Pigeon, I promise."
I felt all the air in my lungs escape at his declaration. No one had ever promised me that. Not even my own parents.
Lost in his thoughts, Marcus had begun to run his finger under my eye again. It was warm against my wet skin. My heart began to race as he slowly moved it to my bottom lip as if noticing how full it was. His eyes were locked to them, following his thumb like a magnet. A breath caught in my throat when his eyes locked onto mine, but only for a second before his finger led my chin and lips to his.
I couldn't believe what was happening. Even just to put it into words. To describe it as a kiss would be an understatement.
His upper lip was between mine and my bottom lip was between his. Slow and steady, he tug, knowing what he wanted. And that was me. With one hand, I cupped the back of his neck and the other was behind me, to balance us. Both his hands were on my waist but slowly one began to move to my nape. The kiss was never ending. Every so often I would have to stop to take a breath but somehow I found my way back between his lips.
And then it stopped.
The dream ended.
Marcus woke up when I was still in a daze.
"No," he said bluntly, "This was not why you came to me, this is not what you want."
He stood and turned away from me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
"Of course you are, that's why –?"
"Trust me, Pigeon if you knew..." he trailed off, breathless.
I could see the effect the kiss had over him, what it had over me. He was still in denial, when the kiss had woken me up to my feelings for him. I knew why I had been so confused. I wanted Marcus.
"Marcus," I said, my voice so soft that I didn't recognize it. He reluctantly turned around to face me.
"Don't swallow me," I begged. He dropped his head back, showing all the qualities of a warrior, "For the first time in my life I know what I want and I don't want you or my family to tell me that I can't have it."
He chuckled, going down on his knees in front of me, "That sounds like fighting talk."
"Well, I'm ready to fight," I shrugged.
He tugged a lock of hair behind my ear, showing off my face.
"Well if we're going to do this, we're going to do it right," he stated, seeming somehow on board.
"Are you always the man with the plan?" I asked him.
He shrugged smiling that cheeky smile of his, "Most of the time."
Copying his move, I flicked a few pieces of hair off his forehead. My beautiful Italian.
"Anyway, let's not talk about it now. You've had a hard day and need rest," he told me, following me under the covers.
Though we were in a different place, nothing had changed. But everything had changed. The fog in my head had somewhat cleared and it was clearing around Marcus. Maybe he was my anchor. So that I wouldn't get swallowed forever.