Ignoring their gazes, I headed towards a little cafe at the end of the street with Lucie's written across the window in calligraphy. A small sign placed out on the pathway that said 'we're open' was written in the same calligraphy as the window. The road continued on after that, but it disappeared back into forest.

I parked the car and headed towards the cafe. I was eager to get inside; I could feel the eyes of the local people still drilling into my back.

I shivered, the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end. Some primal, instinctual part of me dared to say that it felt as though I was being watched by a predator.

Shaking off the odd sensation I pushed the door open, a small bell tinkling with my arrival.

The inside of the café was warm and instantly I felt comfortable. Tables and chairs were spread evenly around the small room and a fire was burning in the corner, a few pillows were left abandoned on the ground in front of the hearth.

A man was sitting at a table, white hair covering his head. "I swear," he muttered to a woman sitting across from him. "It's the neighbouring packs. The bloody bastards are too wimpy to attack us ourselves, that's why they're letting rogues-"

"Hello, you're new around here." The woman stood up, cutting him off. She gave me a small smile and turned to him, sending him a glare. So much could be interpreted from that glare. Perhaps it was a warning to him to be welcoming, or perhaps there was worry in that glare. Perhaps she didn't want the man acting brash against a possible intruder.

She appeared to be in her early sixties, with curly hair and blue eyes. I quickly returned her smile. "Yeah, I'm just passing through and thought about getting a coffee."

The woman smiled. "Of course." She moved towards the kitchen, shooting the man another glare with uncertain meaning along the way.

I moved to take a seat, studying the table while I waited. I could feel the man glaring at me the whole time, and I wasn't sure what exactly I had done. I guess I had came in during their conversation, which seemed to be of great importance, but if they were open anyone could have just simply walked in, so what reason does that give him to be so angry at me in particular? It's not like I even understood what they were talking about.

I shook my head. There was no point worrying about it, I was just here for a caffeine hit and would probably never lay eyes on this town again.

After a short wait the woman returned with my coffee and placed it on the table in front of me. The scent slowly drifted towards my nostrils and I felt my mouth begin to water. I stood up, the coffee in hand, and gave her a small smile. "Thank you for the coffee, how much money would you like for it?"

She laughed. "Don't worry about it, just continue on your way." She began to usher me out of the café, not stopping until I was back outside in the street. She gave me one last smile and then closed the door in my face.

I stood there in shock for a few seconds, just staring at the door in disbelief. She had seemed friendly enough, but it was clearly obvious that she didn't want me in the café. Now that I thought of it, this whole town seemed really unfriendly, really distant and completely and utterly cold towards me. "And you probably wonder why you don't get many tourists," I muttered under my breath as I unlocked my car.

Once I was inside the car I was quick to leave, going back the way I had come in, I wasn't sure where the other way lead -or even if it lead anywhere for that matter- so there was no point waiting around, there was nothing else in that small town and I had already gotten the coffee that I desired.