Clashing Steel, Unscathed Sinew - The Berserker, Part 1

Author's Note:  This is the first part of a two part chapter, but both parts will lead up to the same ending. This chapter shows the perspective of the Berserker, Rona.

Concept changes from actual game:
-Removed game element of "Kraken Capture"
- Removed two turrets closer to Vain Crystal
- Rona is more 'emotional' in this story as it vaguely dives into her past, thus also providing a more 'real' feel and an awkward introduction of a feminine side she never managed to express.
- Glaive on the other hand, begins to awkwardly touch onto the concept of 'interpersonal emotion', evidenced through constant questioning after a long time working in solitude and combat and providing a different angle to the mercenary we know in the game.

Rona Intro: Rona, a berserker hailing from a foreign land. Losing both her elderly master and tasked with finding Fortress, she finds herself on the Halcyon Fold in search of combat. This is Part One of Two in the two part chapter 'Clashing Steel, Unscathed Sinew'!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

The wind blew through my blonde hair as I made a beeline straight for the jungle. The battle had already been going for about 14 minutes now. It was high noon, and the sweltering heat and humidity of the jungle made me complain loudly.

"Ugh! It's so hot out here!" I complained as I captured a minion mine for my team.
A disembodied voice announced suddenly, "Your team has captured one of two minion mines. Allied minions are now stronger."

Feeling irritated upon arrival to the Jungle Shop, I slammed my gold sack on the small table he had. 'Two potions, a Sorrowblade, a Serpents Mask and your best boots please', I demanded. The small spectacled merchant handed me the items in exchange for gold. Storming away back to the Lane, the ground ruptured violently. Turning back and heading in its direction, my pulse quickened as I crouched in a bush, battle axes at the ready. A large reptilian creature had crawled out of the Churn and stood fully upright, not moving at all. It had slain the former Gold Miner, blood covering its pickaxe once used for harvesting gold.

The beast gave a mighty roar as it dropped the gold miner's bloodied pick-axe, waiting there for its next victim to try to capture and take control of it. I gave a soft sigh, as to not give away my position in the bushes. In the distance, I could hear my teammate, Adagio, yelling at Krul and I to calm down. "What do you mean calm down? I AM CALM!" I yelled back at him before I had realized I needed a Fountain of Renewal so that I could take down the beast, but I spotted a gray furry beast. It was Glaive from the enemy team. "I hope he hasn't noticed me...." I whispered to myself as I continued to trudge down to the bushes near the Jungle Shop.

We were both in close proximity of each other, just a bushes distance away. Noticing that he bought the exact same items as I did, I got even more annoyed. Preparing to jump high, I refrained from doing so as the Grangor, Glaive, purchased an anchor which had an icy haze emanating off it.

I was observing how the Grangor acted. It acted like a simple commoner, however it had an air of murderous intent hanging around it. As soon as Glaive finished purchasing the items he turned to leave. However, by the time he began to walk away, my face was sweating from the stuffiness of the bush and there was a small patch of water under my feet too. A drop of sweat slid down the side of my face and landed in the water patch, causing a small 'plop' and ripples to appear.

I froze in anticipation and horror as Glaive turned around and began to sniff the air. He readied his jet powered axe and began walking towards my direction. My hands were sweaty as I readjusted my grip on the dual battle axes.