Chapter Four, 2/2: Law of Attraction

Börja om från början

          "Okay." He nods, cooperating due to the circumstances.

          For a brief moment neither of us moves, then a bright smile creeps onto Luke's face, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what he is thinking.

          "You think she was watching me?" he asks hopefully like a little child waiting for ice-cream.

          "Yeah." I say for the sake of satisfying him, but for what other reason could they be doing that for?

          "Well, that was kind of a crazy way to do it, don't you think?" he laughs heartily. "Women, huh?"

          "Never underestimate women, Luke." I say wearily, mentally referring to the various personal experiences I have had with them. They aren't romantic or pleasant either, even though one may assume otherwise.

          "Abby's such a cutie-pie." Luke grins to himself, and it's kind of disturbing. "There was this other girl, do you know her by the way?"

          Trick question.

          "I don't think I actually know her." I reply.

"...huh?" he raises a brow, waiting for an elaboration.

"We bumped into each other." I clarify, only to realize it's a poor explanation.

          "So...you're friends?" Luke scratches his head.

          "No." I answer.

          "So...acquaintances?"

          "Not really."

          "But you know her, right?" he asks, puzzled.

          "I don't know." I reply bluntly, not wanting to put in any more effort into thinking.

          "Makes sense." He replies, nodding his head slowly.

          We exit the building and part ways after Luke casually talks about hanging out again tomorrow. This probably means that we're friends now. I guess I could use a friend.

I walk to the bus stop that appears to be more secluded than usual. Waiting patiently, I can't help but playback the earlier incident in my head. I still can't fathom the logic behind it. It almost seems like Abby and Terra operate on an entirely different level that is beyond my comprehension.

To have two separate people to be able to connect that way...well, they must be best friends.

Huh, I haven't heard that term for a while.

          Time passes by slowly. Everyone around me occupies themselves with their phone, some tapping onto the screen furiously, some swiping through their playlist and others, probably just looking at it due to an involuntary habit. I decide to join the crowd by using mine either, except unlike everyone else, I regret it.

          There on the lock screen was her face and mine, both wearing the type of smile that one would only show when they are at their happiest. I don't think I've ever smiled that brightly before, especially for a picture. She used to feel the need to take pictures of every single thing we did together 'for memories', she said.

          It's been about two months since we last contacted, but it feels much longer than that. I don't know if it's silly of me to hold onto the memories that I know all too well are not worth keeping anymore, or if I shouldn't let go because it was a part of who I am. Trying to forget about it would mean I'm denying something that has happened, and if there is one thing that I dislike the most, it would be living in denial.

          The irony is I'm pretty much doing that right now.

          Then I realize, it has been a few days since I spared a moment to contemplate about the past. Classes, clubs and obscurely friendly people have been all I could think about for a while now. Despite disliking the tireless series of profound events in Glenworth, I hadn't realize what a great distraction it has been for me up until this point. I hadn't realize that it's actually the kind of distraction I need.

          I have to constantly remind myself that I'm in a new chapter. There's no point clinging onto bygones; it's a place that I don't want to relive. I have to make the most out of this time I have, but before that, I need to leave some things behind.

          That's easier said than done, though.

xxx

A/N: Hey there :) this is chapter 4.5, and 5 will be posted ASAP. No spoilers, but let us just say our main characters will finally have a decent conversation for the first time :P

Thanks for reading, thank you for your votes and support, see you soon!

imperfectdreamer