Chapter 10• Natives

Depuis le début

The pounding ceased, making me turn my head in confusion. The crowd parted revealing a runner who was screeching and pointing. It was clear enough, the prisoners had escaped.

I breathed a sigh of relief and Jack chose to use this to our advantage. With a series of clicks and grunts he told the Tribe to run after them.

As everyone ran, the runner dropped the torch setting the pile of wood beneath him ablaze. My eyes widened and I tried to wiggle out of my restraints to no avail.

Jack tried to blow it out but only succeeded in lighting it even more. Jack started to bounce up and down repeatedly and bounced off the pit rolling away.

He crouched turning to me, as I was tied to a tree, hands bound. "The boy! I'll get the boy!" He said leaving me.

I froze. No he can't leave me alone out here! "Jack! Please come back!" I shouted at my running brother. He still had the pole on his back as well.

Jack appeared minutes later with a knife and began to saw away at my restraints. With the last cut, the knife broke. Of course.

I smiled apologetically at Jack and we made our way to the huts which were the quickest way out.

Except of course, two natives were here. A woman and a man. They glanced at us curiously. Jack sprinted to the side impaling a coconut and swinging it at the native.

The native man grabbed it before it could his his face and brought it down with an angry look.

Great.

This started a fruit war with them. And the natives swung at my poor brother and he twisted and turned in attempt to ward then off but only succeeded in impaling the fruits on each side of the pole.

I watched this in amusement until I decided we needed to leave. "STOP IT!" I shouted and the natives paused their assault. They looked at Jack and back at me.

I made my way to grab the child I had left behind the crates who was patiently waiting. "Jack!" I shouted securing the kid on my back tightly with rope. "Make your way down to the plains. I don't care how, just do it."

"One step ahead of you, Lotte!" I distantly heard as I grabbed a long, flexible stick. I peered over the edge of the cliff seeing my brother about to fall from the extra weight of the fruits. I smiled at his current situation.

"Yes you are! See you down there." I laughed. I quickly jumped, flipping on the pole, successfully landing on the other side. Just as my brother fell.

Ah I'll meet him there.

The kid on my back giggled clapping his hands and I smiled warmly at him before sprinting off into the jungle making my way down.

•••••

I panted kneeling over my brother. "You okay?" I asked helping him up.

He replied with a groan and it wasn't in pain. It was hearing the whoops and hollers of the cannibals chasing us.

"Give us a break." I groaned with him shifting the child securely around me. I gave him a thumbs up and he did the same back.