The Vampire's Reluctant Bride: chapter-28

Hey Guys!

Apologies for the long wait... Anyway, on with the story now;-)

Ps.- Plz keep commenting.. Love to hear ur thoughts.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Chapter-28

Your husband did not give you the letter???

Carlitos’ disbelieving and faintly accusatory words reverberated in her mind as she cancelled the call in a fit of fury. Realizing he would try to call again; she switched off the phone... slumping back on the bed with a sigh.

Why on earth was Carlitos trying to drive a wedge between Lucius and her...As if they needed any more distance.

She stared at the ceiling, wondering what he had meant when she hung up on him. She was curious, she admitted... Just not enough to call him back and risk jeopardising whatever semblance of normalcy that she had established with Lucius.

She was still worrying over the implications of his words when she saw Lucius setting the table for breakfast. That distracted her momentarily, bringing an unbidden smile to her lips.  Twisting her head backward, she watched the upside-down image of him putting down a glass of juice and a plate of something, the apron still tied around his waist.

Feeling her eyes on himself, he straightened; “I uh- I made us some breakfast.”

“Mmmm....you do look perfectly edible.”

“Mia,” he sighed, pushing a hand through his hair; uncomfortable (as always) with her blatant flirting.

“What? I can’t tease my own husband?” She laughed, sauntering to the table. She sniffed at the appetising aroma arising from the food. “What did you prepare?”

“Spanish omelette.”

Always the perfect gentleman, he helped her into her chair.

Old habits die hard...she guessed.

Sometimes, his quaint practices surprised her, at others- they made her smile. This time she did the latter.

 She bit back a grin as he cut himself a delicate sliver of the omelette- he really was sweet, joining her for meals he did not even enjoy; just because she hated eating alone.

Savouring the flavours of the omelette, she closed her eyes in bliss. “You really should open a joint or something- you are a wonderful chef.”

He beamed at her, “Thank you.”

However, in the next instant the smile fell off his face. It took some effort, but he resurrected it; holding it in place with an iron will.

Nonetheless, Amelia had no difficulty seeing through his mask- reminding her of Carlitos’ call.

“Aren’t you going to ask me why he called?” she questioned.

Lucius forced himself to take a deep breath, keeping his voice level as he answered- “Not if you don’t want me to.”

“So, you already heard everything?” Amelia stared at her plate, refusing to meet his gaze.

“I was trying very hard not to... and at any rate, I could have only heard your end of the conversation.” He refuted.

She nodded, chewing slowly as she digested that.

“What exactly did you hear?”

“Not much... apart from the fact that you were accusing him of saying something ‘rude’...” he made quotation marks in the air around the word- “about me?”