Chapter 23

Logan's POV

    I stopped at the red light and look over at Grace. She sits right beside me in the passenger seat with her eyes shut and her arms wrapped around her small body. She was sleeping but every now and then she would let out a small whimper. 

    A frown crosses my lips when the light turns to green and I have to look away. God only knows what she's dreaming about because I can't think of a single thing. I steal another glance at her as she winces.

    Her breathing slowly becomes louder and more shaky. I tear one hand away from the wheel and rub her arm and slowly her eyes flutter open. 

"W-Where are we?" Grace asks, pulling her head up from against the window. She stares at me, redness rimming the corners of her brown eyes. 

"We're not at your house yet, you can go back to sleep." I say, licking my bottom lip.

    She sinks further into the seat, pulling down the ends of her dress. The car remains silent for a few minutes, only the sounds of other cars whizzing past us filling the void. 

    Grace was so complicated and it fucking drove me insane. She was quiet and didn't let on much. I've never really seen her interact with a lot of people at once so the fact that she was at a party leaves me clueless. 

    Holy shit, and to find her crying? I wouldn't have even recognized it was her in that short dress banging her fists on my car if it wasn't for her crying. It seemed every time I've seen her over the past couple of weeks she has tears coming out of her eyes. 

    I admit, it was my fault the last couple of times but I had no idea what made her seem so broken this time. The way she shook in my arms made it feel as though she would never stop. As if she had just given up.  

"Gracie? What happened tonight?" 

    I look at her, but her focus is somewhere else. She stares out the windshield with a blank look on her face. A few strands of her hair clung to her face from her tears and I restrained myself from pushing them back into their original place. 

    All of a sudden she sniffles, and slowly brings her hand up the her lips. She starts trembling, only muffled noises escaping her mouth. I turn the steering wheel, pulling my car over onto the side of the road. I turn to Grace only to find tears dripping down her cheeks. She tries to keep in her sobs but they come out as pain filled whimpers instead.The streetlight above the car shines light through the window. It catches her face and a red handprint is displayed across her cheek. 

    My chest starts burning, anger building up inside of me at whoever did this to her.  Guaranteed when I find out who it was  they'd end up in a fucking emergency room. I clench my fists and then unclench them, shaking my fingers to calm myself down. 

    I lean over the console and wrap my arms around her, pulling her into my chest. She struggles at first, twisting her neck away from me but as the minutes go by she rests her head on my shoulder, choking out sobs.  She shakes violently, blubbering out incoherent sentences. 

"Hey.." I whisper, wiping away the hair in front of her eyes, "It's okay. It'll be okay." 

    She shakes her head, trying to pull away from me again but I keep her right where she is. It makes me realize just how possessive I am over her. I'm a little possessive over everything, but Gracie was different.  She was different from every other girl I've been with, more reserved and to herself. Just knowing that she could ignore me for weeks upon weeks and be glad about it was more than enough to piss me off.