Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

I pulled out my phone and dialed Adrian's number. "Hey babe, what's taking you so long? You're missing all the good parts." I could hear the slight worry in his voice.

"Eleanor called, I have to go." I said quickly.

"I'll come out and take you home."

"No, you stay. Travis is already on his way. I'll call you tomorrow okay? Enjoy the movie." I hung up and ran outside to look for a cab. I just hoped that Adrian wouldn't call Travis. I wouldn't know how to get out of that one.

As I sat in the cab and watched as the street lights got dimmer and then brighter again, I thought that the only thing I wanted to do now was crawl into my bed and sleep. All else be damned.

***

~Travis~

I let out a contented sigh as Landon rubbed small circles on the small of my back. I leaned my head back and rested it on his shoulder. He turned my head back and rested it on his shoulder. He turned my head a bit and kissed me gently on my lips. 

"Travis?" He whispered. 

"Hm?" I asked trying to kiss him again. 

I've been noticing something." He sat up straighter which caused me to sit straight as well since I was leaning against him.

"What?" I gave him a look of confusion. 

"It's Evelyn. She's been acting differently lately." He said softly. 

"I'm not completely sure that I know what you mean." 

"She usually seems so happy but now she looks depressed. I mean, since she's been dating Adrian, she hasn't been acting the same."

"Are you trying to tell me that Adrian is making my sister depressed?" I narrowed my eyes. "You better think long and hard about the way you're making this sound, Landon." 

"No, it's not Adrian." He shook his head. "I think she's being bullied at school."

"She would have told me if she was." I disagreed.

"My mom's a psychologist and she keeps reminding me about that fact. When I was younger she gave me a few books to read to get me to shut up. I read that sometimes a person prefers to suffer in silence. The bullying may not be physical but it can hurt just as much if it's emotional. Maybe even worse." He was calm. I guess that he wasn't trying to rile me up too much. It wouldn't be good for me to get crazy right now. "I think you should talk to her."

"Okay, I mean I admit that I haven't noticed any changed. At home she seems normal." I kissed him on the cheek. "Thanks for telling me though. I can't believe that I've been so blind."

"I'm just worried for her safety, that's all." He smiled down at me.

"It's good that you care about her. I mean, it shows that you're actually making an effort." He kissed my cheek. 

"She, along with your other siblings, is quite like able." He shifted behind me and I saw him checking his watch. "It's getting late. I should take you home." 

"I wish I could stay longer." I mumbled. "But I guess you're right. Mark would have a field day if I'm not there to make sure that he actually gets into the bath."

We both laughed at that. I stood up and checked to see if I had everything. I grabbed my bag since I came home with Landon from school.

The car ride consisted of us signing- horribly- to one of Landon's Fall Out Boy CDs. We pulled up in front of my house and I smiled when I saw Evelyn's silhouette running after Mark's smaller one. I moved to open the car door when I was stopped by Landon turning my face towards his.