Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 8

Comincia dall'inizio

It was nearing six and I still wasn't ready yet. I still had about a half an hour left before Adrian came, but I guess I was stalling. I didn't really want to go but I didn't want Adrian to feel bad. After scrunching up my face I got and headed to the bathroom. I had to start somewhere. 

I was tying up my hair when I heard Adrian honk outside my house. I grabbed my phone and ran out of the house as fast as I could. I made sure to tell Eleanor to heat up some food for her and the others and make us that Harold stayed away from them. I kept my phone on vibrate and in my pocket just in case I got any calls.

When Adrian asked me if I was okay as we entered the mall, I nodded nervously and told him a blatant lie that would keep him reassured for a while. I didn't want to look like a wimp in front of him so I decided to hold my head up high instead of giving into my fears. 

My nerves only started calming when the movie was already halfway through. I was actually starting to enjoy it. There was no sign of anyone that could spoil my night. I know that I was being extremely paranoid, but I couldn't help it. I took a deep breath and shifted in my seat.

"Are you okay?" Adrian asked, peeling his eyes away from the screen. 

"Yea, I'm fine. I'm just going to go to the bathroom." He nodded and I stood up and excused my way past the other people.

Once in the bathroom, I splashed some water on my face. "Snap out of it, Evelyn. You're better than this. It's just the mall, not a suicidal mission."

I heard a door slam closed behind me and I turned around quickly to see who was there. I shrugged it off instead. Someone probably wanted to use the toilet real bad. I grabbed a paper towel and wiped my face. Adrian would wonder why my face was wet. I heard another slamming sound from one of the stalls and I jumped in surprise.

"Who's there?" I asked.

One of the doors opened. "Feeling a bit jumpy, Evelyn?"

"Mary Alice, what are you doing here?" 

"This is a public bathroom, or do you want this all to yourself as well?" She stepped forward.

"What are you talking about?" I threw her a confused look. 

"Adrian, you filthy skank. You took him from me." She spat.

"I did no such thing. He came to me willingly. Maybe if you weren't such a bitch he would have stayed with you. You think he doesn't know that you've been whoring yourself to everything that's got a dick? The game's over Mary Alice. Give up." I smirked.

"Give up? As if I would. He belongs with me. I'm going to get him back." She sneered at me.

"You act as if he's an object. I like him for who he is, not for his popularity or status."

"So you have no use for him. Great, that makes it easier for me then." She folded her arms across her chest.

"You can't have him." I stepped forward. We were about the same height so I wasn't at a complete disadvantage. "No matter what you do or say, it won't make him go back to you. You're nothing but a user."

She pushed me back into the basin's edge and stepped into my space. "Know your place, you unworthy, disgusting, vile little rodent. I can make your life a living hell. You think you're a match for me, guess again. I'm going to get him back and an annoying vermin like you isn't going to stop me."

"Get off me." I pushed her back. I walked towards the door and reached for the handle. I felt Mary Alice's hand grab onto my shoulder.

"Mark my words Evelyn, back off Adrian or else." She pressed down onto my shoulder and I managed not to let out a whimper of pain.