Epilogue

~One Month Later~

Vincent:

It took me two weeks to recover from the gunshot wound inflicted on me by the pretty detective; and after my recovery I was immediately brought before a judge. He decided that I was mentally unstable and sentenced me to spend the rest of my life in an insane asylum.

So, here I was being lead down the hallway in a straight jacket by two policeman.

The screams of deranged patients made my blood run cold. Was I really going to have to spend the rest of my life with the likes of them?

What a terribly unfitting ending to my story...

I sighed and stared down at the ground until we were met by a man in green scrubs. He had salt and pepper hair with a goatee to match. The name tag on his scrubs read 'Dr. Elliot Greer.'

He examined me with disdain before extending his hand out. "Vincent Graves, I presume?"

I didn't respond. How the hell am I supposed to shake your hand when I'm in a straight jacket, dumbass?

The doctor drew his hand back and looked at the officers. "His room is ready, officers. Please follow me." He lead the way to a small room that smelled of bleach. There was a bed with white sheets and a white blanket. In the front of the room, a wooden table with a small television set.

It was the most depressing room I'd ever seen.

"I can take it from here..." The doctor said, grabbing my shoulder.

The officers nodded and took their leave. As soon as they were out of the room, the doctor pulled a chart from the table and looked it over with toothy grin. "You have quite the record, Mr. Graves; murder, kidnapping, rape...among other things." He set the chart down and flashed me a menacing smile. "You're a real nobel peace prize winner, aren't you?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Is there a point to this conversation?"

The doctor's smile disappeared. He grabbed the top of my straight jacket and pulled me closer to him. "Listen here, looney tune, you'd better check that smart mouth of yours. This is my domain, and in my domain I am God." He chuckled and put his finger on my chest. "And you are my bitch. Do you understand me?"

I shook my head. "Not really..."

The frown on his face deepened before he picked up his leg and kicked the back of my knee. I collapsed to the cold floor and wailed in pain. What was this guy's problem? He can't do this to his patients!

I looked up at the doctor and he was standing over me with a smile on his face. "I can tell we are going to be good friends, Graves..."

~~

Emily:

"It's about to start!" I shouted as I plopped down onto my sofa with a big bowl of popcorn in my hands. It was Friday night, which meant another movie night with my friends. I closed my eyes for a moment, reflecting on how grateful I was that they had survived Vincent's attacks and that things were back to normal.

James came running into the living room with toilet paper dragging on his shoe. "Did I miss anything?" He asked, sitting on the couch next to me.

"No.." Hope replied, "But you've got something on your shoe, bro."

James' face turned beet red as he pulled the toilet paper from his shoe. He frowned when Hope and I started laughing hysterically. "Oh, come on..." He muttered, folding his arms in front of his chest. "It happens to everyone!"

"Shhh!" Hope hissed, hitting him on the head with a pillow. "The movie's starting!"

We were about thirty minutes into our movie when there was a knock on my door. I bolted up from the couch and ran to the door, peeking through the peephole. There was a mail man standing there with a large envelope in his hand. I opened the door and he tipped his hat at me. "Good evening, ma'am. Are you Emily Hayden?"

I nodded my head. "Yes."

He handed me the large envelope and pulled out a small clipboard. "Can you sign here..?" He asked, pointing to the dotted line at the bottom of the page. I scribbled my name on the line and he thanked me before leaving. I shut the door behind him and examined the envelope. It was from the hospital.

"What is it?" James asked, standing from the couch.

"It's probably just my test results.." I said, tearing the envelope open.

After being rescued from Vincent, I was forced to take a few medical tests to make sure I was okay. Most of the tests weren't too bad, just a little blood work. Detective Frost implored me to get a rape kit but I was just so ready to be back in my own home that I decided against it.

I tore the envelope open and scanned my eyes over the results. Everything looked normal until...

"Oh my God..." I said, dropping the paper to the ground.

"What's wrong!?" James asked.

Hope stood from the couch and put her hands on my shoulders. "Is everything okay?"

My lip trembled as I looked up at them. "I....I'm pregnant."

End of Book One

*The Sequel is on my profile. It's called Family Ties.*