Late Night Phone Call

Emily:

The next morning I walked into my biology class and plopped down in my chair, absolutely exhausted from not getting any sleep all weekend.

I had asked James if he wrote the note, and he denied it vehemently, suggesting that I called the police, just as Hope wanted me to do.

I assured them that everything was fine, and told them that if I received another note, I would call the police right away. But there had been no more notes or phone calls, so I dismissed it as a one time prank.

Vincent soon joined me at the table, sticking his nose in a book without saying a single word to me. I had to admit, there was something strange about him.

Then again, I shouldn't judge a person for being antisocial. That didn't make him a bad guy.

He was probably the kind of guy who goes home every night and watched the discovery channel, while taking notes and eating Honey Nut Cheerios.

So ordinary, so boring.

Vincent suddenly cleared his throat and turned his head towards me. "How was your weekend?"

My eyes widened in surprise. I couldn't believe that he was actually speaking to me.

"It was okay." I answered, smiling. "How about you? Did you do anything fun?"

He shook his head. "Not really. I just stayed home and watched tv."

"Discovery Channel?"

"What?"

"Oh....nothing."

After a couple of seconds of awkward silence, Vincent turned his attention back to his book until Professor Lemon walked into the classroom. He set his briefcase down on his desk and took a long sip of his coffee. "Alright class, this week we will start a unit about the effects of whale hunting, and how it helps and hurts the environment."

The class groaned and he raised his hand in the air, shaking his head. "You didn't let me finish. There will be a two thousand word report due by the end of the week. You and your partner will write about the damage that whale hunting does to the ecosystem."

The groaning intensified and he laughed. "That's enough, class. Suck it up and get it written."

The rest of the day went by relatively fast, and I went straight home and changed into my pajamas. I fixed myself a glass of hot tea and read a few reports on whale hunting before climbing into my bed.

I closed my eyes and prepared to drift off into a deep slumber, until my cellphone rang. My eyes shot back open, and I glanced at the number to see who it was.

It was an unfamiliar number.

"Hello?"

No answer.

"I can hear you breathing, asshole. Who is this?"

Still, no answer.

"Why do you keep calling me!? What do you want!?"

I waited for an answer, but none came.

My blood boiled and I hung the phone up, tossing it away from my bed as far as I could throw it. This wasn't a joke. Someone was trying to scare me.

This had gone far enough. I had to take action before something terrible came of this.

So, I grabbed my phone and punched in the number of the local police station. There was no harm in filing a report with the police, just in case this turned into something more than anonymous calls.

A dispatcher finally answered, and I proceeded to tell her everything that had happened.

****

Vincent:

I sat in the parking lot of her apartment complex, staring at her door and wondering what she was doing on the other side.

The phone calls were not meant to scare her. I only wanted to hear her beautiful voice for a moment; and I would eventually answer her, after I overcame the terrible anxiety that festered inside of me.

She was all I could think about; day and night she haunted my thoughts and dreams like an apparition.

When I looked up to the sky, I could see her.

When I looked in my mirror, she stared back at me.

When I laid in bed, I imagined myself kissing her sensual lips.

How I longed to get to know her more, to hold her in my arms and tell her how I really felt about her.

I wanted to know why she fascinated me so much.

Was it those gorgeous green eyes, or was it the fact that she was one of the only people to ever treat me like a decent human being?

My mind drifted back to when she touched me, and I closed my eyes, wishing that she were here now.

My thoughts were cut short, however, when I saw a police car pull into one of the parking spots. A young officer climbed out of the car and walked up the stairs, stopping when he reached Emily's door.

Panic filled me and I started the car, driving on to the highway before I was seen.

Had I really scared her that badly?

What was wrong with a few simple phone calls?

I shook my head and turned on the radio, frowning as I looked in the rear view mirror. Emily shouldn't have called the police. There was no reason for it.

Now I was going to have to stop calling her, and that made me sick to think about. How was I going to tell her how I felt now?

I had to come up with a new plan.