The guys? Jason was becoming awesome, but also kind of scary. I saw the elemental feats he was able to accomplish. Cool, but dangerous. Lucian and Aaron both had an element that they could control and showed signs of foresight and magic. I guess only time will tell which is the master of what.

We were all out in the gardens one day, all of the students and staff. The sun was shining in a clear blue sky, and fat clouds drifted lazily across the heavens. A light breeze ruffled the leaves. The great weather put everyone in a good mood. A little way from everyone was a clearing. That's where the seven of us gathered. Ever since the attack we had officially became a "squad", with everyone getting to know each other more. We did our homework together and practiced alongside each other. Each helped out with practice when needed. It was a lot of team bonding.

Rachel and Indigo sat under a big willow tree, discussing a fictional battle and using sticks and leaves to model out the different armies and their assaults. Jason and Lucian used their elemental powers to whip up obstacles as Ashley used spells to counter their attacks. Aaron and I were dueling with our swords, practicing. Though it wasn't as important as expanding on your own powers, each of us dabbed in the fields of others. All of us were required to take defense classes that took fighting to a whole other level, but I had special training aside from that. Ashley taught us a few simple spells resulting in different people being successful at different spells. I studied battle tactics with Indigo and Aaron as Rachel taught Jason and Ashley the basics of healing and herbology. Aaron (and sometimes Lucian) practiced sword moves with me. So we were pretty well-rounded, if you ask me.

"I think I'm going to beat you this time," grinned Aaron as he stabbed at my abdomen.

"That's only because I'm going easy on you," I smirked as I blocked the strike with the flat of my sword.

"No you're not," said Aaron. "This is all you've got."

"So? I still managed to defeat Mr. Jacobson blindfolded," I shot back, swinging my sword up in an arc to meet his. A shower of sparks as the two metals met. We separated, then doubled back.

"Bring it on, Kath," Aaron challenged. "Let's see how much you've improved since last time."

"Alright. You asked for it," I replied nonchalantly. "Don't whine when you lose."

"I won't. Because I'm going to win!" said Aaron as he swiped at my feet. I leapt up, only to find that it was a decoy. Aaron's sword was waiting as I shot into the air. He stabbed at me, a surely fatal wound for others, but I had something else in mind. I slammed the flat of my sword down on his, bending mine upwards. Using that momentum as a lever, I flipped in the air and landed safely on the ground.

Before I could recover Aaron flew at me with his sword outstretched. I bent backwards, the blade passing centimeters above my nose. I felt the wind as it went past my face. Taking the chance to attack, I sliced my sword upwards at Aaron's unprotected left side. In a flash, Aaron had withdrew his sword and blocked the blow. But that wasn't my true intention; as he withdrew his sword it gave me enough room to straighten again.

And so we went like that, back and forth, spinning, dodging, and attacking. It may seem that we were even, but in reality, I was holding back. I wanted to practice, not defeat my opponent in three moves. Though that would be more beneficial in an actual battle, I didn't want to do that right now. Besides, Aaron was my friend. I couldn't harm a friend. I couldn't do any of the high injury and death possibility stuff on a friend. We both knew, yet it was still good to pretend we didn't.

All of a sudden the earth shook beneath our feet. Thrown off balance, both Aaron's and my sword went out of control. Mine pricked his leg as his sliced my arm. We crashed to the floor in a heap, unable to catch ourselves in time. Around us, people panicked as they tried to get away, only to slip and fall. Chasms opened in the earth. I smelled smoke.