Chapter 21

Harry was in the forest near the Shrieking Shack again. The scenery had changed the last time, too, but if this was the dream he had been trying to avoid, what happens will be close to the same. Wind howled in his ears, the cold seeping into his skin chilling him to the bone. Snow crunched as he stepped forward, searching for an end of the endless barrage of snow. Suddenly, unnaturally, it stopped and he could see the fence that he so recently stood at with Draco. A lonely figure stood next to it, scarf whipping around their shoulders and a furry hat covering their ears. Their shoulders curled forward, aged with sadness and longing. Harry wondered if the dreams were over, that this would be the normal jumbled nonsense dreams were made of. Then he wondered why he was aware he was dreaming.

The figure turned around quickly to face him, and Harry's stomach plummeted. It would appear the dreams were not over.

Silver grey eyes stood out on a pale face, framed neatly by the blonde hair that blended in well with the snow. The eyes blinked numerous times before pale pink lips broke into a gentle smile. Dream Draco's boots patted down the snow as he stepped with urgency towards him. Of course, it was not really him he was going to, if Harry's suspicions were correct. Right on cue, Dream Harry appeared.

It was eerie to watch, like recording your voice and listening to it playback at you. It did not sound at all like you imagined, and seeing himself walk towards Dream Draco and pull him into a tight embrace did not fail to spook Harry. It was not that he was against hugging his friend, but the way the figures did it...inhuman was the only way to describe it. Dream Draco had no trace of hesitancy in his step towards the other Harry, no urge to hold back as he began to wet Dream Harry's jacket with tears, no filter as he murmured all his thoughts to him as he clung on to the other for dear life. It was what people hoped for, but knew it was too perfect to be true, and it was not normal to see himself and Draco like that. It was not the Draco he knew.

The Draco he knew was not perfect, and he liked him that way, because Harry wasn't perfect either.

Dream Harry certainly seemed like he was, though. Still the same height as the real Harry, a few inches shorter than Draco, the position he was in should have been difficult with the height difference, but it was not. It looked perfectly natural as Harry observed them. Dream Harry did not have any reservations against stroking Dream Draco's hair over and over, whispering his name over and over into his ear and holding him like he was the one thing in the world keeping him sane.

Hearing his own voice say everything that he would never dare think about saying to anyone, saying he would never leave, he would do anything for you, Harry thought he heard himself barely breath out something...

"What? What did you say, Harry?" Dream Draco had looked up from his jacket, sniffling.

Dream Harry turned his head away. "Nothing. I said nothing." He muttered.

The unexpected poison in that one sentence made Harry recoil from himself.

"I'm sure you said something...I'm sure it's not bad..." Dream Draco said softly, more gently than the Draco he knew to be capable of.

Dream Harry roughly pushed Draco off of him, making him fall onto the snow, very different behavior from just moments ago.

"You sure are wrong then, aren't you?"

Harry wanted to curse at himself, ask him which fool said that to react that way made any sense, but he couldn't. The wind snatched away his voice and froze him in place, leaving him to watch motionlessly.

"What is wrong with you," He spat, picking himself off the ground, "I haven't seen you for who knows how long because you ran off somewhere to get away from it all," he made air quotation marks, "and you have the guts to stomp in here and treat me like I did something wrong!"