Chapter 16

What do you find interesting? Draco read it again. Hesitating, he wrote Quidditch. He quickly scribbled dragons and Potions after. The question, and the two above it, faded away. The page filled with three more. He scanned the first one. Would you want to explore the Muggle world? His first impulse was to write no, but he let his quill dangle in the air. He wrote if he had to, reasoning that Muggles can't be worse than wizards, especially some he had run into. The next question asked if he liked animals. Grimacing, he remembered his incident with the blood thirsty hippogriff. He forced himself to concentrate on his other Care of Magical Creatures classes. None of the animals had been that interesting, but in fourth year the dragons had certainly captivated his interest. So he responded, only dragons. Draco scoffed at the next question, asking whether he had excelled in Divination. A quick no was scrawled, and the questions faded away. He waited for more to appear, but none came. Several minutes passed, and the stubborn parchment remained blank. He flipped it over, revealing an equally empty side. He started to worry. Had something gone wrong?

Turning the paper back to the front, he saw tiny script start to flow sluggishly. He read the text as it appeared.

Thank you for completing this survey. Below are some options that your answers reflected you might enjoy.Circle the one that you are most interested in.

-Auror

-Potions Master

-Gringotts Worker

And several more were listed. Draco studied them all, pausing at a few interesting ones. Looking through, he saw one that stuck out to him undeniably. Dragon Healer. He kept looking, but already knew which one he wanted. He was right, for after looking at the list that seemed to get longer and longer, he went back and circled it. All of the possible occupations disappeared, and Dragon Healer scratched itself on the top of the page.

Dragon Healer

Dragon Healers are a branch of healers that are mandatory to have on all dragon reserves. A Dragon Healer deals with both wizard and dragon injuries. They work closely with the handlers to ensure the animals are in a safe, healthy environment. Unlike most Healing occupations, which it is required to have attended 3 years of training at St.Mungo's, all of a Dragon Healers training will be onsite. They apprentice under an already established Dragon Healer, becoming their assistant and eventually take their place on the reservation. Apprenticeships last from six months to one year. Because of the short time line, training starts from Day 1, remaining rigorous all throughout. It is not uncommon for an apprentice to drop out mid apprenticeship. Less than 25 percent actually finish training. United Dragon Reserves (UDR) can be found in Diagon Alley, Suite 975, above Macbeth's Many Mixes of Magic. Apprentices are asked to have a reserve in mind, or location, if they have a preference.

The occupation appealed to Draco greatly. But he couldn't help but feel it was wishful thinking. A job that he certainly fulfilled the requirements of, but would probably not receive because of trust issues, or any excuse at all because it was so high up there. Anyone would hesitate to give a Malfoy a position of possible power, no matter how limited. He didn't doubt that the Wizarding World will have more than petty taunts to send his way.

He tucked the page inside his bag, slung it over his shoulder, and went inside.

^<>^<>^

Ron slouched against a couch in the common room. Hermione sat down primly next to him,a complete opposite. Harry flopped down in a semi formal pose on the armchair across from them, a mixture of them both. They all sat in companionable silence, relieved after a long day of school. Of course, Hermione being the studious girl both boys knew and loved in their own way, she said "Have any of you started on the essay? It's due date is coming up quickly." Ron groaned. "It's not due until Monday. We have the entire weekend to do it. I haven't even thought about beginning." Hermione appeared faintly annoyed, but turned to Harry. "How about you?" Harry snapped to attention. "Me?" He asked. "Well, I planned it already, and got some of it written..." Ron groaned. "Why you gotta go and say that, mate? Now I'm gonna have to do it." Hermione gave him a look that told him he had no say in the matter and ought to go and work. He grabbed his bag and walked away with a purposely slow pace. Harry leaned over to Hermione. "He wants you to help him." Hermione whispered back, "I know, but should I? I don't want to leave you all alone." Ron still hadn't made it to the door, and was now sending tortured puppy dog looks Hermione's way. "You definitely should, and I'll be fine." Harry replied. Hermione nodded almost to herself, and stood up. "I suppose it is the right thing to do. See you around, Harry." She made her way to Ron, whose mood instantly brightened with Hermione by his side. As he walked out with her, he sent Harry a happy look, mouthing the words, Thank you.

Harry nodded back in reply. He looked around the common room, feeling awkward and unsure. Having enough of it, he stood up, grabbed his bag and went to his room. He tossed the bag at the foot of his bed when he entered. Flopping down, he reviewed the coming deadlines in his life. Not school work, but when his life at Hogwarts would come to an end. It had been a year, then a couple months, then a few weeks, and now only a week. Only a week until the final tests will start, then soon after, a graduation ceremony. To no longer see the autumn leaves on the edge of the Forbidden Forest, visit the Owlery, have a semi peaceful life at school with Hermione and Ron...

No longer walk past spots where battles had raged, deal with the awkwardness of seeing Ginny...

Only a week until those things,good and bad, would all be gone. Or at least hard to do.

Then he has the rest of the world to deal with. Against Hermione's protests, he had not done the survey that they had been given. Not to sound pompous, but there would always be demand for him. No, not him. There will always be demand for the Chosen One. People will always want the Chosen One to work for them. There never seems to be a demand for Harry. Your average Hogwarts graduate, with a liking for Defense Against the Dark Arts, and would have failed Potions if he had not had a biased teacher. He would have liked to become a teacher at Hogwarts, but he didn't want to turn out to be another Gilderoy Lockhart. Never getting around to teaching anything useful because the students would much rather by gawk at him then learn much of anything.

He realized he was just procrastinating doing his work, and not wanting to have a workload over the weekend, he opened his bag. The flurry of papers and textbooks seemed overwhelmingly large. He took out one of the papers, and tried to make sense of the scribbles he had written. He had stared at it uncomprehendingly for five minutes when he realized he needed to get something done.

He started to gather up his stuff, and grabbed a bag of treacle tarts as a peace offering.

Hopefully Draco would still be in his room.

^<>^<>^

And there is Chapter 16! Did y'all miss me? Anyway, school has started for me, and I won't be able to update as freely as I did in the summer. I know it's no excuse, so I am so sorry it took this long. Chapter 17 is already in the works, so don't worry about me having any writer's block. I will try my best to work out a steady update schedule.

On a happy note, I am ecstatic that so many people read and love this book. Shout out to all the wonderful commenters on my last update! You guys rule!

Keep a look out for the next update!