Chapter 6: A Mad Woman's Trusting Words

Start from the beginning

"Why would my father visit a criminal before his sentence?" Lucy snapped. "That wasn't his way. Your brother was sentenced to death! Why did my father visit him? Where is the note?"

Bertha blinked, then chuckled and shook her head. "You're asking after the wrong man, my dear. Your father, yes, but the wrong man."

With that, she turned and walked away, leaving a stunned Lucy standing in the gazebo.

I'll let that infection fester as it will.

XXX

Lucy stormed back into the house and ran her hands through her hair. Her heart was racing faster than she could breathe, and she didn't dare turn back. The smirking face of Bertha Denning was the last thing she wanted to see. It was natural the woman hated her family; her father put her brother in prison.

But to accuse her mother as well?

Lucy tried to not let those words get to her the rest of the time they were at the Donaldson's home, and instead invested her time in fending off any and all jibe remarks from Mrs. Donaldson and her conniving daughter, Elizabeth. Lucy watched with some irritation as the young, strawberry blonde girl cozied up to James, only to look away in haste when his eyes returned to her. Lucy wondered if traces from their previous conversation remained in his mind, yet another thing to bother her.

What did her mother have to do with Arthur Denning? And what letter was Bertha talking about?

There was no letter in the stack of papers I gave to the Magistrate. I would have seen it.

What if it was still in her father's study?

But what exactly was she looking for? Proof of her mother's involvement? That case was dead and gone, and anything else that had happened during regarding her mother wasn't her business... Right?

"Lucy," Beatrice placed a hand on her shoulder. "What's wrong? You look troubled."

Lucy turned to her friend with a small smile. "I need to go back home. If you want to stay here, you can."

"What? No," Beatrice shook her head. "No, I'll go with you."

"Beatrice," Lucy shook her head. "I insist that you stay."

"What's going on, Lucy?" Beatrice asked.

"Nothing, hopefully," Lucy smiled one more time at her friend, then turned to face the room and stood. "Apologies, I'm feeling a touch faint from the journey. I should go."

"So soon?" Mrs. Donaldson half-heartedly protested. "Will you not dine with us?"

"I suddenly have urgent business to attend to, apologies," Lucy turned to James with a smile. "Escort Beatrice home when you're done."

James opened his mouth to say something, but she had turned to the Magistrate. "Thank you for having me in your home, Magistrate. You do the title proud."

Before any of them could say anything more, Lucy turned and strode away, heading straight for the front doors. She let the footman help her into her coat but, before he could open the doors for her, footsteps sounded from behind, causing her to turn.

"What are you doing?" James asked, approaching her with a frown on his face.

"Going home," Lucy replied simply. "I am suddenly feeling tired."

"Lucy, I know you well enough to know that there's something on your mind."

"Yes," she said sternly. "And that something is that I am tired and I want to go home."

"What's happened to you?" James pressed, stepping forward. "You've changed, Lucy. You're distracted. If something is bothering you—"

"I really just need to go home, James," Lucy said again, her voice colder than she had anticipated. It was clear that she had not been aware just how much Bertha Denning's words had affected her. However true or false, they were a toxic plague upon her thoughts.

It's the ramblings of a mad woman and nothing more. Do not hurt James over such foolish words. They mean nothing.

"I'm sorry," she finally said, smiling up at her friend. "It's this place. Lanfore, this house... My house. I just want to feel closer to my father, that's all. Alone."

James still looked troubled, but he relented at last with a heavy nod. "Very well. I will bring your friend home when she is done here."

"Thank you."

"Come to Dawn-Bridge tomorrow, Lucy," he added. "I'm entertaining a friend from Belmoran. There will be a ball, a lavish one too. Please say you'll come."

Lucy wasn't sure if she was up for a ball, but she figured she owed James after lashing out at him in such a way, so she nodded with a smile. "Alright. I will."

That seemed to brighten his mood, and he boasted a bold and handsome smile. "Fantastic. I will extend a personal invite to Ms. Thornton as well. Safe journeys home."

They parted ways for the night at last and Lucy was finally given space to have some peace of mind. But when she was in the carriage and set to go home, she turned one more time towards the Magistrate's house and saw the grinning face of Bertha Denning watching her from one of the windows on the third floor, and a chill ran up her spine.

She's mad. My mother had nothing to do with Arthur Denning. She would never betray my father. Never!

_________________

Author's note: Sorry for the short length! The next few chapters will be very lengthy and we figured to take this section out and make it its own chapter.

Thank you for reading, we hope you enjoyed! Leave a vote and comment, let us know how you liked it! We hope you enjoy the rest! :)