Chapter 63: One Crucial Promise

Naruto was furious and I was willing to bet that Liz's impression of Idate was probably not a good one, though I'm not a gambler.

"Hey, Idate! The ocean's that way!" Naruto shouted, still chasing after him, "Where are you going?! Come back!" he yelled desperately.

"Like hell I will!" was Idate's response.

"Hm, the punk's got some brains," Liz acknowledged.

"You have a firm theory?" I was the only one who heard her over Naruto's shouting.

"I don't think he's dumb... well, he is sorta but not completely. He's no doubt got a trick up his sleeve, a secret route that he's discovered beforehand or it might be a trap or an obstacle of some sort that the other racer must surpass since he's taken that route. I can see it in his eyes, he's similar to Naruto, they don't want to let anyone down," Liz said, her brow creasing, "He wouldn't lose this race to the Wagarashi family, we both heard them arguing the other day. He's seriously loyal to Jirocho."

I nodded, "You have a point."

Liz smiled, "I always do."

We continued to run along the water's edge, heading for the mountain and forest range to the north. Trees began to rise up around us, signaling the start of the forest.

"We'll catch up to him soon," Naruto said optimistically.

"But it's too late," Sakura sighed, "He can't win anymore, now that he's this far from the port."

"No, he might've been planning to come this way all along," Sasuke contradicted.

"What?" Sakura's face was slightly surprised.

"Just figured it out, have we?" Liz raised an eyebrow, "About time."

"Huh?" was Naruto's bright answer.

"Keep thinking, you'll get it eventually," Liz sighed but then we stiffened at the same moment.

I almost stumbled and fell, "Speed up," I said firmly.

The other three gave me curious glances but Liz backed me up, "Listen to us, now hurry!" Liz barked and we picked up our pace.

"I remember now," I said as I bounded forwards beside Liz.

She nodded, "Me too. It's those guys from the Chuunin Selection Exam, the genjutsu users," she read aloud her thoughts.

We pushed ourselves to the front of the group, just behind Naruto and soon enough, we were just behind Idate. That's when I felt the genjutsu take effect. Liz and I immediately released ourselves with a quiet murmur, not wanting to let the opponent know that we were immune just yet.

"I've finally caught up to you," Naruto growled, when Idate was silent, he was not, "Hey, wait up! Jeez, why did you come this way?" Naruto asked.

"Shut up, it's none of your business," Idate snapped.

"What's with the attitude?!" Naruto demanded.

"Just shut up!" Idate cried exasperatedly.

We had exited the forest range and were now running along a steep cliff side.

"Should we tell them?" I whispered as I watched the two in front of me carefully.

"No, we need the enemy to believe that we have no idea, or they might put another layer of genjutsu on, a stronger one too. We might not be able to escape that one, especially since we don't understand the terrain here," Liz said, reason in each of her sentences.

I nodded and kept silent, I felt that Sasuke and Sakura were a ways behind us. It was possible that they escaped the effects of the jutsu.

"Be careful!" I heard Sakura's distant shout.