Chapter 62: How It All Started

Naruto shook with excitement as we stood in front of the mission distribution counter.

"Alright! A mission, a mission! Can't wait to do one!" Naruto squeaked happily.

"What's with you and saying the same thing twice? For example..." Liz cleared her throat and impersonated Naruto, "Hey, hey! Yeah, yeah. A mission, a mission!" she squealed in a high-pitched voice.

"I don't sound like that," Naruto pouted.

"Pft, I'm surprised all of your windows are still intact," she scoffed.

"Come on, Liz, why do you always like teasing people so much?" I gave her a stern look.

"Well, at least you're not a victim," she said crossing her arms in front of her chest.

Sakura sighed, "Kakashi-Sensei isn't here though."

"He's probably late," I assumed.

"Likely," Naruto agreed.

"No, Kakashi isn't coming," a female voice said nonchalantly.

We straightened up at the sound of the Fifth Hokage. Shizune was just a step behind her, carrying Tonton the pig in her arms.

"Eh? Old Lady Tsunade!" Naruto exclaimed.

"Don't call me Old Lady!" she growled, frustrated with Naruto's stubbornness.

"Um, Hokage-sama, what do you mean Kakashi-Sensei isn't coming?" Sakura asked politely.

"As you all know, most of the Jounins, including Kakashi, are on a different mission," she said as she sat down behind the mission counter, "This time, you five must complete this mission on your own. This is a B-rank mission. You must be a bodyguard and an escort," she held the scroll up to show us.

"Bodyguard and escort?" Sakura echoed.

"I'm sure you know how these missions can easily become an A-rank mission depending on the situation," Tsunade continued.

"Yeah, happens all the time," Liz said quietly to no one in particular.

"So, who are we protecting?" Sasuke urged.

"I dunno," Tsunade shrugged.

"Don't know? What do you mean 'you don't know'?!" Naruto outburst.

"Well, every four years in the Country of Tea, the Todoroki Shrine Offering Ceremony takes place. We have received a request to escort a runner who is going to participate in the race taking place there," her face darkened as she continued, "However, before the messengers got here, they were attacked by a mercenary hired by the opponent."

"Mercenary?" Naruto repeated.

"Um, I still don't get the whole picture," Sakura added.

"Really guys? Why can't you do something other than repeat what the person just said with a question mark at the end? Research, guys, research," Liz tapped the side of her head impatiently.

Tsunade shrugged again, "Can't help you. You'll have to get the details from Boss Jirocho in the Country of Tea," she said, splaying her hands in a gesture of her ignorance.

"Boss Jirocho?" Naruto echoed again.

"What did I just say?!" Liz fumed.

Naruto ignored her, "Oh! That Boss from back then!" he shouted, remembering something... for once.

"Thank you," Liz breathed.

"That's how it is," Tsunade pushed her chair back and stood, "Now that you understand, get ready to leave. You need to arrive at the Country of Tea by the end of the day. Hurry!" she barked, pointing to the exit.