Chapter 35: Back to School

Start from the beginning

"Lauren?" Landon asked after not hearing a reply for a few seconds.

Lauren was brought back from her thoughts and answered, "Yeah? I'm sorry I was just thinking."

"About?"

"Just coming here." she lied. "Mostly about starting at this new school, wondering how I'm going to adapt to it."

"Oh. Don't worry about that. You have me. I know this school like the back of my hand. It's not that bad of a school. The teachers here are great."

"Okay," she smiled. "That definitely makes me feel better."

"Good. And don't worry. I'll be here with you. You can make whatever you make of this school. Don't listen to what anybody else says."

"Thanks, Landon. I feel comfortable now. I feel much more at ease."

"I'm glad I could help," he said, smiling at her and showing his dimples.

Lauren's heart went crazy in her chest. Then she felt the butterflies in her stomach. It was amazing all that his smile could do to her. Stop that, Lauren, she reprimanded herself.

The bell rang and it was an announcement that classes were starting. Landon followed Lauren to their class. It was great to have every class with her.

~~~~~~~~~

After school Landon and Lauren walked back to the parking lot. Ray was waiting there for Landon like he always did.

"Who do we have here?" Ray smirked at Lauren, although he was talking about Landon.

Landon did his best to ignore Ray and keep walking, but Ray just wouldn't let him be.

"Where you going, huh? Scared little old me is going to say something against you?"

Landon told Lauren to relax. Landon then turned around to face Ray, at least where Landon thought he was. "Do you really think that you're better than me because you can see?" he shot venomously. He was tired of all this bullying from someone who used to be his best friend.

"Ooh. Talking back now are you?" Ray chuckled. "Yeah, I am. At least I know what I'm looking at. At least I know where to look at. At least I know I can defend myself from someone."

"Sure, that's true. But at least I don't make others feel bad because my father doesn't value me."

Ray grimaced at that remark. Landon had known him better than anyone and he was sure that Landon remembered those nights in which Ray's father would leave him with Landon and his family because Ray's father was to busy to take care of him. "At least my father is not dead." he replied dryly.

Landon knew this would come up, and it hurt him more than he thought it would. But he had an answer as well. "My father might be gone, but I have good memories of him. I have the memories that I will always keep with me because he was a great father. He paid attention to me even when he was tired and he never had to take me to someone else to take care of me. I knew he loved me."

"You son of a bitch." Ray mumbled as he lunged at Landon. Landon had expected this and he moved away. He had found Ray's weakness, after all these years, he had found it. It made him feel horrible, but it was only fair to get him once ever since he became blind.

"I'm sorry, Ray. I really am, but you were the one who left me because I was blind. I thought you were better than that. I thought you were my best friend. Then you started bullying me. How did you think I feel?"

Ray looked up. For once, since he started bullying Landon, Ray felt a hint of guilt. Ray knew Landon was right, but this was the only way he felt good about himself. He was jealous of Landon especially because Landon actually had a father, because Landon's dad was always with him. Landon actually had good memories of his dad while Ray had bad ones even when his father was still alive.

Landon turned around and walked towards Lauren. When Landon reached Lauren, they walked out of the parking lot and took the road home. On the way there, Lauren asked Landon about Ray.

"His full name is Raymond Hayes. His father is Daniel Hayes. Mr. Hayes and my dad were best friends. I honestly never knew how they met, but I think it was back when they were young. Raymond is the same age as us and well, we became friends. We were always together. You couldn't find us separated. We became best friends.

His dad was always busy. He would always have to go to a different city, and sometimes he traveled to different states and countries. When this did happen, Mr. Hayes would leave Ray with us. Ray acted as if he didn't know what was going on, but he was very mature for his age and he would tell me how he hated that his dad treated him like that.

His mother's name was Heather Hayes. And she was an angel, very nice. We would always see Ray and Mrs. Hayes together. Whenever there was an open house or back to school night, Mrs. Hayes was always the one to go with Ray. Mr. Hayes never once accompanied Ray. It made him sad. He would cry for hours sometimes.

He's not a bad guy. This is just one of his defense mechanisms. I know it doesn't seem like it, but I know he's just a guy trying to cope with the behavior of his father."

Lauren looked at Landon. "He has a weird way of coping."

"I know, but everyone is different. He's been bullying me practically forever, but I felt a change in him today. And it was a good change."

"You're a great guy, Landon. I don't think I could not feel hatred for someone who has bullied me their whole life."

"He was my friend and I understand him better than anyone probably does. I know that deep down he's still that young boy who's looking for the attention of his father."

Lauren stayed quiet. "I think it's amazing. You're amazing, you know."

"Nah. I'm just trying to understand people better. I'm trying to show them that there's still good in the world."

Lauren's smile grew super wide. It was amazing to think that Landon was this type of guy. Goodness gracious, she thought, who else do I know that has that as their goal. I am absolutely ridiculously amazed.

They walked home and didn't say much on the way there.

When they arrived home, they were bombarded with questions of how their first day of senior year had gone. As always, Landon kept Ray's bullying quiet from Lance and Laura. He had a feeling that Ray was probably going to change. Landon went upstairs.

He just wanted to be alone to think about all that Ray had done to him. He knew Ray's reason's for bullying him. Of course it never once justified Ray's actions, but Landon knew. Ray just wanted to fit in, he wanted to fit in with the cool kids because he thought that was the only way he thought his father's indifference wouldn't affect him so much.

He went to grab his box with the pictures in it and once he had it in his hands, he took the pictures out of the box. He held the pictures in his hand, and he touched it lightly with his right hand, wishing he could see it. He thought about all the times that his dad would carry him with him pretty much everywhere he went. In this room, there were many memories, too.

Landon remembered how Liam would tuck him in. Then he'd read him a story, making the voice changes whenever someone else was talking. Liam would always rock him to sleep on those sleepless nights. Liam remembered these memories the most, the ones before the accident were the most clear in his head. He missed his dad. He would think of Liam everyday.

"I miss you, Dad" he whispered. "I just wish you were here with me. That way I could talk to you about everything that's happening to me, especially about Ray. I think he's going to stop bullying me, which is something I would actually appreciate, it's something I need."

"I'm here for you." he heard Liam's voice respond. "You can tell me anything. I'll always be here with you, Landon. I'll always be with you, Lance and your mom. I'll always be by your side. All you have to do is call."

Landon was sure that it was his dad's voice. He nodded, still amazed at hearing his father's voice. Hearing his father's voice made him calm down. It was amazing. And now he knew he could tell his father anything and Liam would hear him.

_________________________________

Not the best chapter I've done. I had trouble writing the end.