Chapter Four: A Family of Assholes

DIXIE

I mark off the day on my calendar - it's an enchanted one that flickers through photos I've taken. There's one of Colin Creevey, a second year who, like me, has a camera always in hand. In the photo, he's taking a photo of me, grinning at the flash. There's one of Draco, doing his homework with a small smile as he listens to a story I tell him. I take photos of students and professors, rooms and ghosts, scenery and, yes, victims of my pranks. One of my favorites is of a girl in my year, Katie Bell - her hair is blue and she's grown a beak and feathers, but she's laughing hard and her eyes are wide with unassuming happiness (I imagine that would change if people found out I had done it, not the twins,but oh well, I suppose).

Jelba must have come while I was sleeping, because when I walk over to the desk, there is a plate with pancakes and bacon and a cup of chocolate milk. Next to the plate are two letters, one in a yellowing envelope, and one very thick one with what looks like burn marks on it, and about 8 different types of writing on the envelope. I open this one first.

Dixie,

No need to worry, in a family of 9, there's pretty much nothing intrusive anymore. And we were about to write you a letter, ourselves, when we received yours, so don't worry at all. Dixie, you have no reason to apologise for anyones actions but your own, and so far you haven't done any that warrant an apology. We understand where you're coming from, but it is unnecessary. As for your family - we cannot change the actions or thoughts of others, only our own, and our reaction to others. Just keep being kind, Dixie, and you needn't worry. Draco and Lucius will forge their own paths. Ginny and Percy are currently out, but they told us to tell you not to worry. Hope to see you again, and wishing you well,

Molly and Arthur Weasley.

To Dixie,

You don't need to apologise, it's alright. We can handle Draco. If anything, you're the brave one. Having to put up with that lot? Goodness, I can't even imagine doing it and staying as happy and kind as you seem to be (and get such good grades! When we get to Hogwarts, maybe we can study together! )

With Regards,

Hermione Granger, Ronald Weasley, and Harry Potter.

DIXIE MALFOY,

YOU'RE THE OTHER ONE?!?!?!?!?! HOW!? WE HAVE A LOT TO DISCUSS. FIND US IN A COMPARTMENT ON THE TRAIN. TELL NO ONE. (The first rule of Prank Club -  you don't talk about Prank Club. Punishable by death.) Fred, don't write that, you idiot, what if her Dad reads this? Oh, bugger, yeah. Er, Dixie and/or Mr. Malfoy, we won't actually kill you/Dixie. 

Feorge and Gred Weasley.

P.S - Your owl has a wicked name.

I couldn't help but laugh at the last one, wiping away the tears brought on by the unexpected kindness. This family, whom my family had continuously kicked and antagonised and made fun of what little they had, were kind to even me. It made my heart ache with the unfairness of it all. They were the ones who deserved a mansion and house elf and whatever other luxury they wanted, and yet... Well, and yet. Sitting at my desk just then, reading these kind, undeserved letters from a family who hardly knew me, those two words seemed to me like the saddest words in the entire history of words. 

After that, the last three days pass me in a blur of my loathing, making bad jokes to myself (seriously, the amount of times I mutter 'Lucius? More like douche-ius!' under my breath is shameful. It doesn't even work!) Draco brought me my school supplies, and Jelba my food, and other than that I am left wonderfully, blissfully alone. I use the time to clean, take a few notes on the subjects I'm studying this year, and replenish my pranking stash - a compartment in my trunk basically like a mini Zonko's store. Seriously, if ever I were in need for some quick money around Hogwarts, I could probably get at least a hundred galleons just from this compartment.