The Book of Dragons

A/N: RTTE SEASON 2 TONIGHT!! AHHH I LITERALLY CAN'T FOCUS ON ANYTHING ELSE BUT HTTYD SO I'M JUST WRITING FANFIC ALL DAY. Who's as excited as me? 

(Also this is where I started writing this again after months and months. My chapters are a ton longer now. The plot's changed a tiny bit. Beware of dark hiccup.)

I can't let them continue to kill dragons. I can't. My mind raced with the possibilities. I currently sat on Toothless, flying over Raven Point but not daring to get any closer to Berk. Toothless wasn't enough to take down the whole town, and there was no way for me to talk them into it. For hours I just circled, pondering how to do it. I didn't fancy killing anyone, though my blood burned with passion whenever I thought of striking down my father. 

How I longed to teach them all I wasn't a runt they could just kick down in the mud. Fear kindled in me whenever I thought of Snotlout and the twins but so did anger. In the end, anger was more powerful than fear. 

Suddenly, a thought occurred to me. All I needed to do was take away the Book of Dragons. For now. I would update it so it scorned Vikings and supported dragons, showing only their good qualities and etc. It would also show how to train them- so long as the viking didn't want to kill them. It wouldn't change the battles being fought, but it could give the vikings a new vantage point on dragons. 

How to push the point? I didn't know. I didn't want to kill anyone. I didn't want to write that they should befriend dragons, or I would pick them off one by one. I didn't want to, but I would. Not that they could know it was me- the runt Hiccup- until after I had picked them off. 

The thought dwindled in my mind for far too long, and the pleasure I felt at the concept of changing my father's mind through force was far too strong. My limbs still ached, and scars still lined my whole body from his whips. It only made my mind more made up, though. There was no way to win in this world besides being the better man. 

I furrowed my eyebrows. First I had to steal the Book of Dragons. 

***

I molded the leather slowly. It was the middle of the night, but I worked tirelessly to finish what I had started. It was a brown leather suit, lined with black nightfury scales and the molted skin that I had found searching for dragons. The more scales Toothless shed over time, the more I would sew into the suit. The bodice was done and I had it on. It was comfortable, more comfortable than any of my former clothing. I was finishing the intricate details of the mask- the ridge of my nose, the outline of scales around the eyes, and more...

It would be a terrifying thing, once it was done. I would wear it to get the book of dragons, and to get any supplies I might need in the future. This suit thankfully didn't need the help of the forge to be built; many other projects would. Especially if any of them involved metal. It would intimidate anyone who might see me, make me blend into the shadows, and conceal my identity. In any case, it was a good upgrade from my torn, stained-with-mud shirts from back home. 

***

I slid the cap over my head, staring through the eye-holes at my reflection in the water. It was impressive. I took in a deep breath and turned to Toothless, "stay here bud. If I don't come back, come get me, but be careful, and don't come unless I sound in pain, okay?"

I didn't know what I expected, but he normally understood. We were in the cove- he would only leave if I really, really needed him. Otherwise it was altogether too difficult. I hoped. 

I walked up the small path that would lead me to the outside of the cove carefully. I had traversed the path home often enough it was easy, so it gave me a lot of time to think.