12 : Year 1

Harry and I watched as Hermione read the paper several times. Then she walked up and down the line of bottles muttering to herself and at them. I look at Harry quizzical. At last, Hermione clapped her hands.
"Got it," She said.
"The smallest bottle will get us through the black fire - towards the Stone." She said. I looked at the tiny bottle.
"There's only enough there for two of us." Harry said. We looked at each other.
"Which one will get you back through the purple flames?" Harry asked. Hermione pointed at a rounded bottle at the right end of the line.
"You get that," Harry said to Hermione. Hermione was about to say something but Harry stopped her.
"No, listen, get back and get Ron. Grab the brooms from the flying-key room, they'll get you out of the trapdoor and past Fluffy - go straight to the owlery and send Hedwig to Dumbledore, we need him." Harry turned to me.
"Nia you can go with Hermione if you want." Harry said. I smiled.
"Do you honestly think I'm going to let you go in by yourself, Harry, please." I said. He smiles at me. He turned back to Hermione.
"With Nia's help we might be able to hold Snape off for a while, but we're no match for him really." Harry said.
"But Harry - what if You-Know-Who's with him?" Hermione asked. I look at Harry.
"Well - I was lucky once, wasn't I?" Harry said, pointing at his scar.
"With Nia, I might get lucky again." Harry said. I smiled. Hermione's lip trembled and she suddenly dashed at Harry and I and threw her arms around around us.
"Hermione!"
"Nia - you are the greatest Slytherin I have ever met." She said. I smiled softly.
"Harry - you're a great wizard, you know." She said.
"We not as good as you." Harry said as she let us go.
"Me! Books! And cleverness! There are more important things - friendship -" She looks at me. I smile.
"And bravery -" She looked at Harry.
"Oh Harry, Nia - be careful!" She cried.
"You drink first," Harry said.
"You are sure which is which, aren't you?" I asked.
"Positive." Hermione said. She took a long drink from the round bottle at the end, and shuddered.
"It's not poison?" Harry asked anxiously.
"No - but it's like ice." Hermione said.
"Quick , go, before it wears off." I said.
Good luck the both of you- take care -"
"Go!" Harry said. Hermione turned and walked straight through the purple fire. Harry took a deep breath and turned around, I turned around as well. He picked up the bottle.
"You ready?" Harry asked. I took a breath and nodded.
"Mhm." I said letting it out. He drinks some of the potion and hands it to me. I drink the rest of the potion. It was indeed as though ice was flooding my body. I put the bottle down and we walk forward; We braced ourselves, saw the black flames licking my bodies, but I couldn't feel them - for a moment I could see nothing but dark fire - then we were on the other side, in the last chamber. There was someone there - but it wasn't Snape. It wasn't Voldemort either. It was Professor Quirrell.
"You!" Harry gasped. Quirrell smiled. His face wasn't twitching at all.
"Me," He said calmly.
"I wonder whether I'd be meeting you, here Potter. You also brought your Slytherin friend." He said. I stare at him shocked.
"But we thought - Snape -" He cuts me off.
"Severus?" Quirrell laughed and it wasn't his usual quivering tremble, either, but old and sharp.
"Yes Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat. Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor, st-stuttering P-Professor Quirrell"? He asked. I give Quirrell a cold glare.
"But Snape tried to kill me!" Harry shouted.
"No, no, no. I tried to kill you. Your friend Miss Granger accidentally knocked me over as she rushed to set fire to Snape at that Quidditch match. She broke my eye contact with you. Another few seconds and I'd have got you off that broom. I'd have managed it before then if Snape hadn't been muttering a countercurse, trying to save you." Quirrell said in disgust. I look at him befuddled. Snape tried to save Harry?
"Snape was trying to save me?" Harry asked.
"Of course," Quirrell said coolly.
"Why do you think he wanted to referee your next match? He was trying to make sure I didn't do it again. Funny, really... he needn't have bothered. I couldn't do anything with Dumbledore watching. All the other teachers thought Snape was trying to stop Gryffindor from winning, he did make himself unpopular... and what a waste of time, when after all that, I'm going to kill you and your friend tonight." He said. Quirrell snapped his fingers. ropes sprang out of the thin air and wrapped themselves tightly around Harry and I pushing us together.
"You're too nosy to live, Potter. Scurrying around the school on Halloween like that, for all I knew you'd seen me coming to look at what was guarding the Stone." He said.
"You let the troll in?" I asked.
"Certainly. I have a special gift with trolls - you must have seen what I did to the one in the chamber back there? Unfortunately, while everyone else was running around looking for it, Snape, who already suspected me, went straight to the third floor to head me off - and not only did my troll fail to beat you to death, that three-headed dog didn't even manage to bite Snape's leg off properly. Now, both of you, wait quietly. I need to examine this interesting mirror." He said. I noticed a mirror behind Quirrell. It was big.
"This mirror is the key to finding the Stone," Quirrell muttered, tapping his way around the frame. How? It's just a mirror.
"Trust Dumbledore to come up with something like this... but he's in London... I'll be far away by the time he gets back..." He said.
"I saw you and Snape in the forest -" Harry blurted out. I look at him like he was crazy. Harry stop talking you're going to get us killed.
"Yes," Quirrell said idly, walking around the mirror to look at the back.
"He was on me by that time, trying to find out how far I'd got. He suspected me all along. Tried to frighten me - as though he could, when I had Lord Voldemort on my side...." Quirrell came back out from behind the mirror and stared hungrily into it.
"I see the Stone... I'm presenting it to my master... but where is it?" He asked. Harry struggled against the ropes binding us, but they didn't give. He looked back at Quirrell.
"But Snape always seemed to hate me so much." Harry said.
"Oh, he does," Quirrell said casually.
"Heavens, yes. He was at Hogwarts with your father, didn't you know? They loathed each other. But he never wanted you dead."
"But we heard you a few days ago, sobbing - we thought Snape was threatening you..." Harry said. A spasm of fear flitted across Quirrell's face. I glance at Harry.
"Sometimes," Quirrell said.
"I find it hard to follow my master's instructions - he is a great wizard and I am weak -"
"You mean he was there in the classroom with you?" Harry gasped. We were by Voldemort, oh my god.
"He is with me wherever I go," Quirrell said quietly.
"I met him when I traveled around the world. A foolish young man I was then, full of ridiculous ideas about good and evil. Lord Voldemort showed me how wrong I saw. There is no good and evil, there is only power and those too weak to seek it.... Since then, I have served him faithfully, although I have let him down many times. He has had to be very hard on me." Quirrell shivered suddenly.
"He does not forgive mistakes easily. When I failed to steal the stone from Gringotts, he was most displeased. He punished me... decided he would have to keep a closer watch on me...." Quirrell's voice trailed away. Quirrell cursed under his breath.
"I don't understand... is the Stone inside the mirror? Should I break it?" He asked himself. Harry looks at me and motions me to follow him. We tried to edge to the left, without Quirrell noticing, but the ropes around our ankles were too tight: we tripped and fell over. Quirrell ignored us. He was still talking to himself.
"What does this mirror do? How does it work? Help me, master!" Quirrel cried out. And to our horror, a voice answered, and the voice seemed to come from Quirrell himself.
"Use the boy... Use the boy..." Quirrell rounded on Harry.
"Yes - Potter - come here." He said clapping his hand once, and the ropes binding Harry and I fell off. Harry got slowly to his feet.
"Come here. Look in the mirror and tell me what you see." Quirrell said. Harry walked towards him. I get up to my feet.
"You stay put, girl." Quirrell said. He turns to Harry and moves close behind him. Harry stepped in front of the mirror. Harry stared at himself in the mirror.
"Well?" Quirrell said impatiently.
"What do you see?"
"I see myself shaking hands with Dumbledore," Harry said.
"I - I've won the house cup for Gryffindor." He said. Is he lying? Quirrell cursed again.
"Get out of the way," He said. Harry walked over to me.
"He lies... He lies..." The high voice spoke.
"Potter, come back here!" Quirrell shouted.
"Tell me the truth! What did you just see?"
"Let me speak to him... face-to-face...." The high voice spoke again.
"Master, you are not strong enough!"
"I have strength enough... for this...." The high voice spoke. We stood there petrified, as we watched Quirrell reaching up and began unwrapping his turban. What is he doing? The turban fell away. Quirrell's head looked strangely small without it. Then he turned slowly on the spot. I would have screamed but I couldn't make a sound. Where there should have been a back to Quirrell's head, there was a face, the most terrifying face I had ever seen. It was chalk white with glaring red eyes and slits for nostrils, like a snake.
"Harry Potter..." It whispered. I felt fear fill my body.
"See what I have become?" The face said.
"Mere shadow and vapor... I have form only when I can share another's body... but there have always been those willing to let me into their hearts and minds.... Unicorn blood has strengthened me, these past weeks... you saw faithful Quirrell drinking it for me in the forest..." That was him!
"And once I have the Elixir of Life, I will be able to create a body of my own.... Now... why don't you give me that Stone in your pocket?" He said. I look at Harry and he stumbles backwards.
"Don't be a fool," The face snarled.
"Better save your own life and join me... or you'll meet the same end as your parents.... They died begging me for mercy...."
"Liar!" Harry suddenly shouted. Quirrell was walking backwards at us, so that Voldemort could still see Harry. The evil face was now smiling.
"How touching..." It hissed.
"I always value bravery.... Yes, boy, your parents were brave.... I killed your father first, and he put up a courageous fight... but your mother needn't have died... she was trying to protect you.... Now give me the stone, unless you want her to have died in vain."
"Never!" Harry shouted. Harry sprang towards the flame door, but Voldemort screamed "Seize him!" Quirrell turned around and ran after him. I have to stop him! I run towards Quirrell and before he could do anything go me I ram into him making him fall to the ground.
"You stupid girl!" Quirrell said. He takes his wand out.
"Crucio!" He shouted. I scream in pain and fall to the ground. I hear Harry yell and the pain slowly dies down. Everything went black.
I hear someone calling my name. They were asking if I was hurt. I slowly open my eyes to see Snape standing over me. Snape? Why is he here? He ask again if I was hurting. I didn't feel anymore pain. How long have I been out? I shake my head no. Where's Harry? I suddenly sit up.
"Harry! Is Harry all right?" I asked Snape.
"He's fine." Snape said. He looked over to his side. I follow his gazed and see Professor Dumbledore with Harry. Harry was unconscious.
"Quirrell!" I looked around. There was dust on the ground next to Harry and Dumbledore.
"Voldemort, he -"
"It's okay, Nia. He's gone." Snape said. I look at him. He helps me up. Dumbledore picked Harry up. I look back at the mirror. I walk over to it. Why was this mirror so important? Suddenly Malfoy appears next to me. I jump and look next to me. There was no one there. What?
"What is this?" I asked.
"It's the Mirror of Erised." Snape said coming beside me. This is the mirror? I look back at the mirror and Malfoy was now on the other side of me.
"And what does it do?" I asked. Malfoy smiled at me.
"It shows you what you most desire." Snape said. I look at him shocked.
"What do you see?" Snape asked. I look back at the mirror. Malfoy was still there.
"My brother, Mills." I lied.
We had just left the third floor. I was going with Dumbledore since he was taking Harry to the hospital wing. Snape and some other teachers were going to destroy the Stone. I was glad we didn't have to worry about that anymore. We entered the hospital wing and I see Hermione with Ron, who was laying on the bed. Hermione see us and she runs over to me and hugs me.
"I'm so glad you're all right!" She said. I hug her back.
"Is Harry all right?" Hermione asked Dumbledore as we let go of each other. Dumbledore lays Harry down.
"He'll be fine." He said. I look over at Ron and he smiles at me. I smiled back and go over to him while Hermione was with Harry
"Ron, are you all right?" I asked.
"I'm fine. Are you all right?" He asked. I nod. Hermione comes over.
"It's was Quirrell." I said. They look at me confused.
"What do you mean?' Hermione asked.
"It was Quirrell who let the troll in, it was Quirrell who was trying to kill Harry, not Snape." I said. They both looked shocked. I nod.
"We should apologize to him." I said.
"No way!" Ron said.
"He's always rude to us." He said. I shake my head.
It's been three days since all of that happened. Harry still hasn't woken up. I also hadn't told anyone about what I saw in the Mirror of Erised. Dumbledore had sent letters to each of our families telling them what had happened. My parents and Mills were so worried but I assured them I was fine. Mills was actually quite proud that I tried to save Harry from getting killed. We had gotten word that Harry had woken up. Me, Hermione and Ron ran to the hospital wing but Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let us in until Harry beg her.
"Harry!" Hermione cried, flinging her arms around Harry
"Oh, Harry I'm so glad you're all right!" She said.
"Nia, are you all right?" Harry asked.
"Never better." I said smiling.
"The whole school's talking about it," Ron said.
"Nia, told us what happen but what we don't know is what happened after Nia passed out." Ron said. He told us; after Quirrell had used the Cruciatus Curse on me, which I had found out about from Snape, Harry had pushed Quirrell away from me, which made Quirrell scream in pain and his face blistering. Quirrell couldn't touch him for some reason.
"So the Stone's gone?" Ron asked.
"Flamel's just going to die?"
"That was I said, but Dumbledore thinks that - what was it? - 'to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.'" Harry said. I felt a smile crept on my mouth. That's what I said to Malfoy.
"Brilliant." I said quietly.
"I always said he was off his rocker." Ron said looking quite impressed at how crazy his hero was.
"So what happened to the two of you?" Harry asked Hermione and Ron.
"Well, I got back all right," Hermione said.
"I brought Ron round - that took a while - and we were dashing up to the owlery to contact Dumbledore when we met him in the entrance hall - he already knew - he just said 'Harry's gone after him, hasn't he?' and hurtled off to the third floor." She said.
"D'you think he meant you to do it? Sending you your father's cloak and everything?" Ron asked.
"Well," Hermione exploded,
"If he did - I mean to say - that's terrible - the both of you could have been killed." Hermione said. He wouldn't do that, right?
"No, it isn't," Harry said thoughtfully.
"He's a funny man, Dumbledore. I think he sort of wanted to give me a chance. I think he knows more or less of everything that goes on here, you know. I reckon he had a pretty good idea we were going to try, and instead of stopping, he just taught us enough to help. I don't think it was an accident he let me find out how the mirror worked. It's almost like he thought I had the right to face Voldemort if I could..."
"Yeah, Dumbledore's off his rocker, all right." Ron said proudly.
"Listen, you've got to be up for the end-of-year feast tomorrow. The points are all in and Slytherin won, of course - you missed the last Quidditch match, we were steamrollered by Ravenclaw without you - but the food'll be good." Ron said. At that moment, Madam Pomfrey bustled over.
"You've had nearly fifteen minutes, now out" She said firmly.
At the feast, the Great hall was decked out in the Slytherins color green and silver to celebrate Slytherin's winning the house cup for the seventh year in a row. There was a huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covering the wall behind the High Table. It looked amazing. Everyone suddenly stopped talking. I look at what everyone was looking at and see Harry walking over to Hermione and Harry, who were right behind me. I smile at Harry and he sits down.
"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully.
"And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully yer heads are all a little fuller than they were, you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts.... Now as I understand it, the house cup needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two: Ravenclaw had four hundred and Slytherin, four hundred and twelve." A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from my table. I look in front of me and see Malfoy banging his goblet on the table. I shake my head.
"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," Dumbledore said.
"However, recent events must be taken into account." The room went very still. The Slytherins smiles faded a little.
"I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes... first - to Miss Nia Backenter..." My head snapped towards Dumbledore with widen eyes.
"... for trying to save a friend, even if it meant dying, sixty points." Some of the Slytherins cheered. I looked at my legs and smiled softly.
"Second - to Mr. Ronald Weasley... for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house fifty points." Gryffindor cheered loudly. I cheered also.
"Forth - to Miss Hermione Granger... four the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points." Hermione buried her face in her arms. Aw, she's crying.
"Fifth - to Mr. Harry Potter..." Dumbledore said . The room went deadly quiet.
"... for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house sixty points." We were tied with Gryffindor. Just one more point and they would have won, darn. Everyone was yelling. Dumbledore raised his hand. the room gradually fell silent.
"There are all kinds of courage," Dumbledore said. I turn myself around so that I was now facing Harry's and Hermione's back.
"It take a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr. Neville Longbottom." I immediately jump up and cheered. Gryffindor won the house cup and it's thanks to Neville. I went over to Harry and the other. I lean over the table and I ruffle Neville's hair. Harry nudged Ron and I in the ribs and pointed at Malfoy, who couldn't have looked more stunned and horrified if he'd just had the Body-Bind Curse put on him.
"Which means," Dumbledore called over the storm of applause, even Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were celebrating the downfall of Slytherin.
"We need a little change of decoration." He clapped his hands. In an instant, the green hangings became scarlet and the silver became gold; the huge Slytherin serpent vanished and a towering Gryffindor lion took its place. Snape was shaking Professor McGongall's hand, with a horrible, forced smile. I chuckled.
Ron and Harry got good marks; I got great marks on Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts and the rest were good marks. Hermione got the best grades of the first years. Even Neville scraped through, his good Herbology mark making up for his Potions one. We had been done with packing and they took our luggage to the train already. I was quite sad that I was leaving Hogwarts. I had so much fun this year, even if I was almost killed. But today is June 30th, my birthday. I was heading to the Potions classroom. I knock on the door.
"Come in." I hear Snape said. I open the door and step in the classroom.
"Miss Backenter, the boats will be leaving soon." Snape said. I nodded.
"I know, and I'm going, but I just wanted to apologize for accusing you of being the one who was going to steal the Stone." I said. He looked at me surprised but quickly went back to his normal look.
"Yes, well," He looked down at his paper he was writing on before I came here.
"I accept your apology." Snape said. I smiled.
"Have a good summer, Professor." I said turning around.
"Happy Birthday." I hear say. I look at him surprised. But I smile.
"Thank you , Professor." I said. I leave the classroom and close the door behind me.
Hagrid had taken us down to the fleet of boats that sailed across the lake; we were boarding the Hogwarts Express; talking and laughing as the countryside became greener and tidier; eating Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans as we sped past Muggle town; pulling off our wizard robes and putting on jackets and coats; pulling into platform nine and three-quarters at King's Cross Station. It took quite a while for all of us to get off the platform. A wizened old guard was up by the ticket barrier, letting us go through the gate in threes and fours so we wouldn't attract attention by all bursting out of a solid wall at once and alarming the Muggles.
"You must come and stay this," Ron said.
"The three of you - I'll send you an owl." He said.
"Thanks," Harry said.
"I'll need something to look forward to." Harry said, speaking of his horrible Muggle aunt, uncle and his cousin. I give Harry a pat on the back. People jostled us as we moved forward towards the gateway back to the Muggle world. Some of them called:
"Bye, Harry!"
"See you, Potter!"
"Still famous." I said grinning at Harry.
"Not where I'm going, I promise you." Harry said. Harry, Ron, Hermione and I passed through the gateway together. We step out of the way so other people could get through.
"Nia!" I hear someone call out. I look ahead and see Mills running over to me. I smiled big. I hugged Mills and he hugged me back. We let go of each other. I turn to the others.
"Harry, Ron, Hermione, this is my brother Mills." I said. I turn to Mills.
"Mills, this is Harry, Ron, and Hermione." I said pointing at each of them.
"Oh, yes, Nini has told me lots about all of you. I'm so glad your friends with her." Mills said. They smile at him.
"Nini had told us lots about you as well. She said you're a great brother." Harry said. I laugh at Harry calling me 'Nini.' Mills looks at me and I nod. He laughs.
"Well, it's great to finally meet you all, I hope to see you over the summer." Mills said taking my bag and Milly's cage. I hug them.
"I'll write to all of you!" I said letting go of them.
"Bye, Nini!" They all say. I laugh and follow Mills out of the train station.
"Nia!" I hear someone call out for me. Mills and I stop. I turn around and see Malfoy coming over to me with his mum.
"Malfoy?" I question him. I smile at his mum and she smiles back. He holds out a large box of Chocolate Frogs. I look at it and then look back at him confused.
"Happy Birthday." He said. I smile and take it.
"Thanks, Malfoy." I said kindly as I don't want to be rude to him in front of his mother.
"You're Malfoy?" Mills asked.
"Nia has talked lots about you!" Mills said. I mentally face-palmed. He's not suppose to know that! Bloody hell, Mills! Malfoy looked at me.
"Really?" He asked. I smiled awkwardly. I then remember what I saw in the mirror. I shake the thought out of my head.
"I'm Narcissa Malfoy." Malfoy's mum said holding her hand out to shake Mills. He took it and smiled at her.
"I'm Mills Backenter, Nia's brother." Mills said. She shook my hand as well.
"I'm glad Nia is Draco's friend." She said. She looked at me.
"Your such a nice girl and Draco has told me a lot about you." She said. I smirked.
"Really? Like what?" I asked.
"He said you're very pretty, which you are, you're very beautiful." She said. I look at Malfoy and I could tell of mentally telling Narcissa to shut up. I smiled.
"That's so kind of him." I said. She leans down at me.
"I think he fancies you." She whispered in my ear. I looked at her shocked. I smiled and awkwardly giggle.
"Well, we better get going. It was nice to met you, I hope to see you again." Narcissa said. They walked off. Once we got inside Mills car. I burst out laughing.
"I love Malfoy's mother. She just told me Malfoy might fancy me." I said laughing and wiping the tear off my cheek.
"Well, he might, I mean he did give you a birthday present." Mills said. I look at the large box of Chocolate Frogs. I never told him when my birthday was.
"No." I simply said. Mills laughs and starts the car.
Malfoy doesn't like me. I don't believe it.

Hi. So I finished the first year.The next chapter is going to continue after this. I really hope you like it and please comment it honestly would make me very happy. Oh and I could have upload this yesterday but I didn't have internet sorry. ~ Poppy