8 : Year 1

I loved the gift Hermione got me. It was a book of advanced Potions. She knew that was my favourite class. I'm very good at it. Snape said I'm the best in the class, he also said I should stop being around Harry and the others. I got back, with Hermione, before the start of term. Harry had told us about a mirror that lets you see things you most desire. Hermione was focusing more on Harry getting caught, which he didn't. He also told us that he didn't find anything on Nicholas Flamel in the Restricted Section. But Harry is convinced that he read the name somewhere. Once term had started, we were back to skimming through books for ten minutes during our breaks. Harry had less time since Quidditch practice had started again. The Gryffindors were going against the Hufflepuffs. Since that was happening, Hermione Ron and I were in the Gryffindor common room. I was reading Too Far, Hermione and Ron were playing chess. Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at. Before coming here, I saw Malfoy near the library, I never seen him around there before. He was up to something but I didn't want to deal with him, he noticed me but he didn't say anything. I hear the door open. I turn my head and see Harry, he had another strange look on his face. What happened now? I put my book down. He went over to us.
"Don't talk to me for a moment, I need to concen-" Harry sat next to him.
"What's the matter with you? You look terrible." Ron said. Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry told us about Snape's sudden, sinister desire to be a Quidditch referee. I shake my head no.
"Don't play." Hermione said at once.
"Say you're ill." Ron said.
"Pretend to break your leg." I said.
"Really break your leg." Ron said. I nodded in agreement.
"I can't, there isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all." Harry said. I sigh in frustration. At that moment Neville toppled into the common room. I notice his legs were stuck together what I recognized to be the Leg-Locker Curse. He must have had to bunny hop all the way up to the Gryffindor tower. Everyone burst into laughter except for Hermione, she leapt up and performed the countercurse. Neville's legs sprang apart and he got to his feet, trembling.
"What happened?" Hermione asked leading Neville over to sit with Harry, Ron and I.
"Malfoy," Neville said shakily. I frown.
"I met him outside the library. He said he's been looking for someone to practice that on." Neville said. I shake my head. How come he didn't try it on me?
"Go to Professor McGonagall! Report him!" Hermione said.
"I don't want more trouble." Neville mumbled.
"It's going to happen again. Honestly, Neville, you've got to stand up to him!" I said.
"Nia's right, Malfoy's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier." Ron said.
"There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that." Neville choked out. Harry gave Neville his Chocolate Frog.
"You're worth twelve of Malfoy. The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn't it? And where's Malfoy? In stinking Slytherin. No offense, Nia." Harry said. I smile.
"None taken at all actually." I said.
"Thanks, Harry...I think I'll go to bed... Nia, aren't you still collecting the cards?" Neville asked. I nodded. He gives me that card and Neville leaves. I look at the card.
"Aw, Dumbledore again," I said.
"I remember on the train-" I gasped. I quickly hand the card to Harry.
"Read the back!" I said. Harry's face light up.
"This is where I read his name, on the train coming here- listen to this: 'Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner, Nicolas Flamel!" Harry said. I grinned. Hermione jumped to her feet. She hadn't looked so excited since they got their marks for their very first piece of homework. I wasn't there for that but Ron and Harry told me about it so this is really the first time I've ever seen her this excited.
"Stay there!" Hermione said, she sprinted up the stairs to the girls' dormitories. Ron, Harry and I barely had time to exchange mystified looks before she was dashing back, with enormous old book in her arms.
"I never thought to look in here!" She whispered excitedly.
"I got this out of the library weeks ago for a bit of light reading."
"Light?" Ron said. Hermione told him to be quiet until she looked something up, and started flipping frantically through the pages, muttering to herself.
"I knew it! I knew it!" She cheered.
"Are we allowed to speak yet?" Ron asked grumpily. Hermione ignored him.
"Nicholas Flamel," She whispered dramatically.
"Is the only known maker of the Sorcerer's Stone!" She exclaimed. I looked at her confused.
"The what?" Harry, Ron and I asked.
"Oh, honestly, don't you three read? Look-" She moves the book towards us.
"Read that, there." She said pointing at a parapagh. It read: