Chapter Four

A wonderful blend made by teenagereble-

Athena woke up on the ground with a severe headache. She sat up slowly, holding her head with one of her hands, and looked around the room. A single lamp sat in the middle of the room letting off a soft circle of light. The circle of light stretched just a few feet in front of Athena. She couldn't see what the rest of the room looked like since it stayed pitch black where the light didn't touch.

Athena's heart started to race when the memories of earlier that day came back to her. The little girl hit her with the radio! It seemed as if she didn't want Athena to leave, but she kept telling her to get out.

At least she thought that it was earlier that day. She didn't know how long she had been laying here passed out. Her whole body was aching. She was in so much pain. 

A sound came from behind her, and Athena scrambled over to the circle of light. She hoped the light will protect her. She gripped the leg of the lamp and looked around her, trying to find whatever, or whoever made that sound. 

Was that the little girl? she asked herself. What did she say her name was? Her mind was fuzzy. 

A child's laughter filled the room. The air around Athena turned cold once again. She wrapped her arms around herself, and a girl's high voice came from the other side, "My name was Effie." The sudden temperature drop caused her body to start shaking, making pain shoot up through her body. 

Athena turned toward the voice. "E-Effie? Was?" Her breath came out in a fog. 

The laughter came again. This time, it sounded like it was exactly behind Athena. She turned around but saw no one. "That's right," the girl firmly told her. "Effie was my name. I was the last child to stay in this miserable hell hole!" Her voice echoed around Athena. Her voice made it impossible to know which direction she was talking from. "For so long I wanted to escape, but I couldn't. I became trapped and tortured." She laughed maniacally. "I was never insane! They thought I was, but I wasn't! Those idiots ruined me." There was a slight pause before her voice sounded close to Athena's ear, "Do you know what electricity flowing through your head feels like?"

The hairs on Athena's arms stood up. Athena felt a presence extremely close behind her. The air around her started to feel static. Something shocked the back of her neck making her jump and turn around. 

She turned in a circle searching for Effie. "What happened to you?" All at once, everything became silent. Athena turned around in a circle again, but like all the times before, she found no one. Athena couldn't see anything through the pitch black. She didn't even know that a room could get that dark. She opened her mouth to ask the question again when the overhead lights came on over her head. She shielded her eyes so they could get used to the white, bright light.

Once her eyes adjusted to the white light, she looked around her. It was a white, windowless room. There was no way to figure out what time of day it was outside. There was a single gray dentist chair against one wall with a metal table beside it. The chair had many holes in it and what looked like old red stains all over. She walked over to the chair and noticed many claw marks dug into the chair. Leather straps hung over the sides, torn. The air around her had suddenly turned warm. 

Athena's knees were weak as she turned around but saw nothing else or no one else in the room. She took a deep breath and held her head high, balling up her fists, and yelled, "Where are you?" She waited for an answer she knew wouldn't come. Pointing to the chair she called out again, "Why did you show me this?" She needed answers. She needed Effie to keep talking to her. Athena figured if she could keep her talking, she could prevent whatever Effie was wanting to do to her. She could even figure out how to get out of here and head back home where it was safe. She knew that she wasn't safe here.

The temperature in the room dropped, drastically. Athena wrapped her arms around her and ran her hands up and down her arms trying to get some warmth. All of a sudden, she saw something shiny flying through the air toward her. She screamed and ducked just in time as the object flew through the space where her head had been just seconds before. She shakily turned to see a rusty knife sticking out of the wall behind the chair.

"I wouldn't yell at me if I were you," the little girl's chilling, sharp voice came from nowhere. "That's what the idiots did, and it didn't end well for them."

Athena, still squatting on the floor, slowly asked the girl, "W-what do you mean? What d-did they do to you?" She looked back over her shoulder and looked at the knife and her eyes widened. "What did you d-do to them?" her voice squeaked. She needed to keep her talking. She urged Effie to keep talking to her. The longer she was in here, maybe she could get some more information that would help her help the girl. 

"P-please, Effie," Athena urged. "Talk to me." She started to stand up slowly. She tried to keep control over her body and stop it from shaking. 

"Why would you want to know anything?" She heard Effie sneer somewhere in the room. "You read the books downstairs. You know exactly what they did to me." Athena heard a loud huff somewhere behind her. 

Athena nodded slowly. "T-then tell me what you did to the doctors who did t-this to you." There was silence. The air around her was still cold. She could still see the fog coming out of her mouth and nose. 

Suddenly, a horrible, shrilled laugh filled the air, making Athena cover her ears and put her head between her knees. "You'll see." Then, the only door in the room slammed shut.

Athena screamed and ran over to the door, trying to open it. She tugged on the handle of the door and continuously slammed her shoulder against it until it was bruised. "No, no, no!" It was locked. She leaned against the door and slid down. She wrapped her arms around her knees and began to cry. She became trapped. 

"Effie!" 

----------edited---------

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late update, but now it's here! I hope you liked this chapter. If you did please comment what you think and vote as well! Thank you for reading this chapter and I hope you continue reading!