Part Two: Chapter Twenty

Double update because of all the amazing comments and support you've given me since the other day :)

Awesome cover by: sammybabies

-----------------------

I was surprised at Xander. Usually he would have stood up to anyone. "Are you annoyed at me?" He finally broke the silence. We had been sitting in the car for two minutes now with the food we bought.

"No, I'm just confused. I know he's family but he was so rude to Evangeline. You should have at least let me stand up to him"

"Millie... it's hard to explain"

I paused, "Does he have something wrong with him?" Maybe he had a disability and Xander felt bad for him. I didn't care, whatever the reason he still didn't need to treat people like crap. 

He let out a sigh. "Do you really want to know?"

"I wouldn't be asking other wise"

Xander leaned back in his seat, "When we were young, Seth and I were close. This is going to sound a stupid story, you probably won't understand"

"I will, tell me"

"He found this puppy."

"Okay?"

"The dog was in bad shape. He brought it to the vet and got him fixed up. In the end he came out with three legs and just one eye but he was probably the most spoiled dog ever, Seth treated her like a baby" That was cute but I had no clue where this was going.

"All Seth's friends called his dog deformed and disgusting. Only I and his parents saw it's real cuteness. It was the sweetest dog ever. Seth got so defensive, I don't know where it came from, he just realized how cruel and judgmental humans were."

"His.. ex friend, kicked his dog once and he went mental. He knocked him out, keep in mind Seth was twelve when he did this, but he was so protective of the dog. It may sound dumb but I kind of get it. He got so protective that if someone even looked at the dog, he'd get paranoid and think they'd be judging it"

"He smothered the dog with love, giving her double the affection that anyone dog would ever receive. He began hating people, seeing how they truly were but still kept some friends that didn't make mean comments... until his dog died"

"People may say it was just a dog, but she meant so much to him that he was heartbroken. He kind of cut people off, which made them think he was weird. They'd call him delusional because he was so upset over a dog"

I literally had tears in my eyes. I loved animals, so this hurt even more.

"So  since then... he just kind of changed. I think it was a terrible idea giving him a maid. There's either two bad outcomes of this, that's why I'm so worried. I can't be mean to him because... I don't know, I just can't."

I wiped the tears away and let out a small sniff. That was such an upsetting story but it was hard to imagine. That guy in there looked like he couldn't give a damn about anything. Finally I mumbled out, "What's the two bad outcomes?"

Xander paused.

"He'll either neglect Evangeline and... not treat her good. He won't hit her or anything or physically hurt her but he'll ignore her and you know how she's kind of... sensitive. I don't know"

"The second one?"

His jaw tightened, "He could become... attached to her?"

"Attached? Like a stalker?"

Xander offered me a strange look, "No. More like how he was with Poppy, his dog. He'll become over-protective, kind of possessive. I mean, you, you could handle it, you could almost teach him and put him in line but Evangeline, she's not as strong as you"

"That's a bad thing?"

"I think so" Xander hesitated, "But I think he doesn't like her. He'll probably neglect her and ignore her, then hopefully Henry will realize the mistake and send her somewhere else"

I paused, "I don't know, maybe it could help them both"

"How?" Xander raised his eyebrows but I shook  my head, "Did you cry at that story?"

I scowled, "OF COURSE! I LOVE ANIMALS! He got so protective because people treated his dog horribly and he's right... humans are terrible"

He nodded his head, "I suppose"

"Why did you stop talking to him? I thought you said you were close"

"Like I said, he shut people out when Poppy died. Then we didn't talk and just... fell out I guess."

"He's hot"

"Are you saying you want to be his maid?"

"What?"

"You're saying you love how he loves animals and how you relate to him. And he's hot" He arched an eyebrow. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not.

"You love animals too. And you're hotter" Did I just say that? Okay.

A grin appeared on Xander's face and he leaned over, planting a light kiss on my lips, "Thought so"

I rolled my eyes with a sigh before they landed on Evangeline and Seth leaving the store. He had his hands shoved in his jacket pockets, walking forward. There was about a meter between them and it seemed she was making sure to keep her distance while carrying the plastic bag of shopping.

I frowned. I didn't know whether to feel bad for him or not. I let out a sigh and sat back, "We should check up on them in a week or so"

He raised his eyebrows, "Why?"

"I don't know, just in case you're right. She's been put through a lot, she doesn't need another mean master"

"Yeah"  Xander finally started up the car, "Let's go home"