Notecard Experiment - Chapter 4; card 5

(on telling stories) "Name the villains after people who wronged you in high school." - Lemony Snicket

This is the questionable quote I talked about in the prologue, for it's (small) possibility to be taken as a threat. I find it to just be mostly dark humor and a hint at the naming of certain characters in his famous book series, A Series of Unfortunate Events.

So this quote can still be used, I guess.

I'll just be careful.

Which reminds me, there's some more that I apparently need to take out, ones that mention wine that I somehow forgot to censor...

Neither of us (commenter #1 and I) went to Target yesterday. Nooo! Great. But I'm making commenter #1 think about my quote today all day, up until lunch, when I'm going to learn what she's though of it. It should have ripened with age like fruit (and forbidden wine!) does, right?

me - (we're leaving class after I showed her the quote) "I actually know who the author who said this quote is! I'm at 1-for-3! I mean, 1-out-of-4 isn't bad, right?"

commenter #1 - "...you're getting there."

commenter #1 - (written on a piece of paper) "This is a great idea because it's good for a person. It's a way for a person to let out their feelings in a healthy way...instead of bottling up their hatred. It's also cute because if they do happen to read it, the people who wronged you, they will get a little taste of their own medicine. It's very much Lemony Snicket's style x)"

This isn't so much Notecard Experiment related, but it happened today at lunch, where I collected two comments on the quotes at once. Commenter #5 was looking over a girl sitting alone at the end of a lunch table far away from us. Commenter #5 wanted to go over there and sit next to her. Commenter #1 thought that it would be too awkward for her. I left my stuff at our lunch table and went with commenter #5, who took her stuff, and we both went over to sit with the girl.

The girl had a German II workbook amongst her pile of stuff, so I first asked her, "Wie heisst du?" (What's your name?)

The girl gave me a surprised look and answered, "Ich heisse [commenter #11]." (My name is [commenter #11])

"Ich heisse Katja und sie heisst [commenter #5]." I told the girl. (My name is Katja {it's my legit German class name} and she is named [commenter #5].)

commenter #5 looked at us like we were crazy people and inquired worriedly, "Wait, what's going on?! What are you saying?"

I explained, "I asked her what her name was, she said her name is [commenter #11], and I told her your name is [commenter #5]."

"Oh okay. Her name (indicating me) is actually Nancy." commenter #5 said to commenter #11.

We all started talking. Commenter #5 and I learned this girl was from a nearby town, one where a girl from commenter #5 and I's elementary school had moved. Commenter #11 knew the girl who had moved from my former elementary school, then we learned commenter #11 rode horses and was in FFA, as I also was.

A person from commenter #5 and I's lunch table, commenter #12, came over and sat with us. I had my food with me, but not the rest of my stuff. Commenter #5 and I introduced commenter #12 to commenter #11, then I asked commenter #12 to go get my stuff from the other lunch table.

Commenter #12 gave me a dirty look.

I pleaded and commenter #12 finally got up and brought my stuff over, then we really got into another conversation. Commenter #12 learned that commenter #11 was another horse person, then got really excited about her. We got into a conversation just on horses.

About this time, commenter #1 and her friend moved over to be with us. Somebody felt left out...

Next, I pulled out my notebook over the Notecard Experiment and started asking commenter #1 and commenter #5 for their comments on the quotes. I after that, thought to ask commenter #11 about how she felt about reading and writing.

She told me that she liked reading and she wrote a little bit. She also told me that she wrote fantasy and was into manga.

Commenter #12 got excited again and both of them got into a discussion on manga.

commenter #5 - "I thought with a conversation on books I could totally follow this...I was wrong."

me - "Yeah..."

I explained about the Notecard Experiment a little bit to commenter #11, but didn't get a comment. I did get a quip from commenter #5 though.

commenter #5 - "[It's about] revenge, (cue evil laughter about quote), and I do think it's funny. I have to go to the bathroom NOW."

commenter #3 - (in another class after lunch and written down) "Umm...I guess authors do use villains in high school so it makes sense...and also a good quote for you because you like to write :)"

I've noticed that people do laugh at this quote when I show it to them...meaning commenter #5, commenter #8, and commenter #10. Dark humor is readily understood more than I thought it was going to be.

commenter #10 - (laughs at reading the quote)

me - "Do you ever do that (she's another writer)?"

commenter #10 - "Yep!"

I didn't even bother wearing the notecard on my lanyard at all today...but it's harder to get the word out without practically waving quotes in their face.

Must. Make it. To Target.