04. Hayden Romero

Autumn

"Good morning!" I greet my best friend Mason at his locker.

"Hey, so check this out, I found a book about those creatures!" He speaks with excitement.

I narrow my eyes at him and start reading his thoughts one by one.

Maybe if I search deeper, they'll finally tell me what's going on.

I mean, that's what best friends are supposed to do. Right?

My eyes softened at his thinking and I smiled warmly at him.

"Yo, M, you're going to over stress. Just take a chill pill, chillax for a couple of days." I say, putting my hand on his shoulder.

He takes a long glance at me before letting his eyes shift over my shoulder.

"Liam's there." He nodded his head.

I turn around, standing beside Mason and as soon as I did, he wrapped his strong arms around my petit torso.

"Oh, hey!" I exclaim.

"I missed you." He mumbles in my ear.

"Aww, I missed you too. Now get it done with, we gotta go to class." Mason says sarcastically, rolling his eyes at the sight.

I giggle, shaking my head at my gay best friend and lean in to plant a short kiss on Liam's lips.

He does the same and as soon as our lips touched, the same sparks flew around, letting me know how deeply in love I am with this jerk.

"What's that Mase?" Liam asks once we'd pull away from the kiss.

"I got it from a rare book dealer in Germany. Cost me two hundred bucks, but it was totally worth it." He replies, showing us a thick book with some dusk on it.

He blew the dusk off of one of the pages and I coughed at it hit my nose.

"God, you're still reading 'bout that?" I ask.

Liam's arm wraps itself around my waist as we start walking to class, hearing Mason's voice.

"I was attacked by an armor-plated giant wearing a bear skull." He deadpanned. "It left an impression."

"Just get over it! It was a dumb loner pranking you guys." I say annoyed.

He couldn't find out about this.

Mason is too nice and the only friend I can rely on with a normal mind, not involved in the supernatural world.

"Look. Look. Have you ever seen this?" He asked, showing us a picture of one of the Berserkers.

"No." Liam and I reply right away, fastening our steps.

"And then there's this whole section about the Nagual. Have you ever heard of the name Tezat-"

"Tezcatlipoca." I corrected him, later realizing my mistake. "I think Mr. Yukimura mentioned it once." I covered up with a nervous laugh.

Mason was going to continue with his rant but we had finally arrived at History class where I saw someone I thought I'd never see again.

I glared at her before proceeding to one of the empty places next to Mason who had already sat down.

I noticed that Liam kept on staring at her and wouldn't touch the only empty seat available.

"Liam. Are you going the stand there the whole class?" Mr Yukimura asks him.

"Maybe." Liam replied.

"Semester?"

"Maybe, yeah."

"Take a seat." Mr Yukimura sighs.

Liam hesitates but seats down next to her, glacing at me multiple times.

I glare once more at Hayden and when Liam lifted his bottom, I saw one of Hayden's favourite chewing gum on his butt.

I looked at Hayden who wore a smirk and rolled my eyes, turning to Liam.

"Scott's got a pair of extra lacrosse shorts." I simply said.

•○•

"Thank you, my Angel." Liam jokes, shoving his shorts inside his locker before hearing another one slamming shut beside us.

Liam closes his locker calmly.

"I was wondering if you are still mad about that grade 6 thing." Liam starts talking.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and then my face turns to Hayden, who turned to reply to Liam.

"I'm not mad, Liam." She starts saying. "I'm vengeful."

"No, you're just a bitch." I comment, crossing my arms.

"Thought I'd never see you ever again." She replies.

"I don't usually plan to find the things I leave behind, so..." I smirk at her, carrying out the 'so'.

"Never changes, still the same shitty face. Well then, I am looking foward to see you now often, 'Angel'." She smiles sarcastically.

"At least I ain't got a flat ass." I say to her, which made her turn around.

I wore a smirk on my face, knowing I had won this fight but her next words took me off guard.

"I wish everything was the same. But it seems that our friendship is forever gone."

I nodded, my face now showing no emotions.

"I wonder why."

"Autumn-"

"Too bad you decided to be a bitch."

"I said I was sorry." She replies.

"Well, I also say I hate Liam but it's not the truth."