Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

He nodded, then brought her back to the room where Camila was. The two were informed to wait there until the adoption agent came in.

"She wants us to raise the kids, Camila. They were named after us--Laurie and Cameron. My only worry is how we're going to do this with our auditions coming up." Lauren said to her girlfriend.

Camila responded, "What about your mother? She could probably watch them every time we have something to do with the auditions. If she's anything unlike my mom, she probably would."

"I could call her right now to find out. It's nine o'clock at night, so I'll be lucky to catch her awake." 

Camila nodded as Lauren pulled out her phone to call her mom. The phone rang four times before her mom finally picked up.

"Hello?" her mom, Clara asked into the phone.

"Hey mom, it's me. I have a situation." Lauren said. "So, you remember my childhood friend Vero, right?"

She responded, "Yes, what about her."

"She passed away tonight mom, but she did while she was giving birth to twins. Vero's dying wish was for me and Camila to take them under our wing. Do you remember Camila and how we're going to audition for 'The Voice'?"

Her mom's voice sounded upset at the sound of hearing that her friend had died as she responded, "Of course I remember. What do you need me to do? Anything?"

"Yes. So, all that we're asking of you is to babysit while we're doing the show? Would that be okay?" Lauren asked.

"Of course it is. What are their names?" she asked. 

Lauren responded, "Cameron and Laurie. One is a boy and one is a girl. They were named after Camila and I."

"Beautiful names!" she exclaimed. "Lauren. I just wanted to compliment you on how much you've grown up. You've become everything that I could have ever hoped for, and I couldn't be any more proud of you then I am now. Just know, however, raising a child is not easy. I've done it with you, and I'm in the process of doing it with your brother and sister. Since you're going to be raising two, your father and I are willing to help out in anyway that we can."

"Thanks, mom." Lauren said, smiling at her mom's kind words. "I'll have to get going now. The adoption agent will be here soon."

"Okay Lauren, and good luck to the both of you!" she said. "I love you."

"I love you too." Lauren replied, then hanging up the phone.

She placed her phone on her lap, then faced Camila who was smiling like an idiot. Knowing her enhanced senses, she probably heard the whole conversation from start to finish. She took Lauren's hand in her non-broken one, then massaged it lightly with her thumb to comfort her after having lost Vero. Moments later, a woman that must have been the agent walked in.

"Hey guys." she greeted them. "So to my understanding, Vero thinks that you two should raise her children. It was her dying wish, am I right?"

"Yes." Lauren and Camila said together with bright and hopeful smiles.

She replied, "Oh good. So I just need to know about your living conditions, and how things are going to go. I've checked both of your records, and you've never done anything illegal. That's a good sign. So tell me. Are you guys financially stable? And will you be living together?"

Lauren answered, "We'll be living together at my house."

"And yes, we're financially stable. I'm blind, so I get aid from the state that's enough to provide for us all." Camila added.

"Very good. Now there's no abuse in your home, correct? I assume there isn't, but I'm mandated to check with you on this." the agent asked them.

"Nope. None at all." Lauren smiled.

"Good. Now how clean is your house? And do you live in a nice neighborhood?"

"The house is spotless all the time. I love to keep things looking neat if I'm ever to have any guests over. And the neighborhood is nice. It's suburban, and we have extremely friendly neighbors that can rush over in case we need a babysitter. My parents volunteered to help us as well." Lauren explained.

The agent stood back up and said, "Well things are looking good. So I just need to grab the paperwork from my bag here, and you'll be all set to take the kids home when they and you are ready to go."

Lauren and Camila got extremely excited as they took the paperwork and filled it all out. In total, all of that paperwork took ages, but they got through it in time. When all was done, and they said goodbye and thank you to the agent, they were all set to meet the babies and take them home. The doctor led them both to the room where the two sleeping babies rested next to each other. Both of them looked more like Vero than anything, and didn't seem to have a bit of Brad in them. 

"Want to hold them?" the doctor asked.

"Do you want to hold one of the babies?" Lauren asked Camila. 

Camila nodded, then held Cameron in a way that she wouldn't hurt her arm or him. She felt the warmth of his body in her arms, and she enjoyed his new baby smell. Lauren took hold of Laurie, and cradled her as she kept her close. The two girls were left alone with their new baby boy and girl, and according to Camila's wish, they had both assumed the last name Jauregui. Cameron and Laurie Jauregui.