Chapter 21

"All I know at the end of the day is you want what you want and you say what you say." - One Direction

Harry

"Where are we going?" Taylor huffed as she tried to keep up with my pace. 

Ding! The elevator doors slid open, leaving us on the highest floor of the massive building. In front of us stood nothing besides the spiraling staircase that led our destination. I observed the surroundings which evoked somewhat of a haunting feeling, for the dim, flickering lit room was vacant except the two of us. "Come on," I urged her eagerly and she followed my footsteps with a tinge of annoyance by this point.

"Whatever this is, it better be worth it," she murmured.

I let out a chuckle at her irritable behavior, "It is," and continued on the path of steps one after another. "Careful, don't trip," I gave a forewarning. "Maybe you should go in front of me," I advised.

"All right." She laughed as I let her pass me so she could go ahead just in case those high heels fail her. "I just find it amusing how you don't think I'm capable of taking the stairs by myself and that something could possibly go--Oh!" She stopped mid-sentence as her foot missed a step and slid into the intimidatingly large gap between the steps of the stairs. Adrenaline and instincts took over and fortunately, I reacted quickly enough to grab ahold of her. Relief flooded through me as my right hand clamped around her waist while my left hand was gripped tightly on her shoulder opposite to the side. The only things I heard were the faint beat of my heart thudding against my chest as the the rush of anxiety cooled down and Taylor's irregular, heavy breathing. She remained silent and motionless for a moment as I pulled her back up so she was standing stably, but still in startled and in quite shock. Then, I turned around and looked down the endless staircase to catch a glimpse of what was underneath. Below us laid nothing but darkness. I shuddered at the unimaginable thoughts of what could have happened if fate had chosen a different route for both of us.

"You okay, love?" I asked with a smirk on my face.

Taylor nodded. "Thanks," she squeaked, slightly traumatized, so I let out a chuckle. "What? that wasn't funny," she sniffed.

"Sorry, I just find it amusing how you think you are capable of taking the stairs by yourself in those 5 inch heels and how something couldn't possibly go wrong," I mimicked her tone.

"Shut up, Harry," she retorted and rolled her eyes before leading the way up the stairs with her heels clacking against the steps. After about a minute, Taylor stopped dead in her tracks. "Harry, I'm tired," she whined. "And these heels are slowly killing my feet."

"Well, I guess you're going to have to walk barefooted then," I teased her.

"Nope, you're going to give me a piggy back ride," Taylor insisted with a snigger and took her heels off.

Giving up and knowing that I had no chance, I told her, "All right, climb on." She went behind me and sauntered her arms up my shoulders, wrapping them loosely around my neck with her heels dangling from the tips of her fingers. Then, I skimmed my hands down her soft, smooth, bare legs and lifted her up, losing my balance for a split second. Taylor giggled and pecked my left cheek, making my cheeks turn bright red.

Within just another flight of stairs, we finally reached the top and I announced while letting Taylor climb off my back, "This is it."

"What? This rusty, old door?" She asked in bewilderment, scanning the area, probably thinking that I made a mistake.

"No, what's behind it," I said with triumph as I pushed the heavy, creaking door open. We now stood on the roof of the hotel which laid a majestic, lit up garden filled with a variety of shrubs and exotic flowers. The scenery was even more spectacular at night due to the over view of the entire downtown Pennsylvania. The sky scrapers in the city seemed like stars from the far distance and the adjoining rivers below reflected the sparkling lights.

Taylor gasped. "Oh my God." She slowly advanced out into the garden and I followed her with a feeling of satisfaction. "This is...amazing," she said at last. What made the moment better was that it was just me, her, and the bright full moon shining above us. The roof was pretty windy so she inched closer to me and I wrapped my arm around her, pulling her in even more closer so that my chin rested on her head and I inhaled her sweet vanilla-like scent.

"I told you it's worth it," I murmured, looking down into her blue, dilated eyes filled with amazement and fascination by her entire surrounding. Suddenly, music came from the speakers hidden behind the shrubs.

Wise men say
Only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you

"You know, we haven't to dance tonight yet," Taylor reminded suddenly.

"Very well then. May I please have this dance?" I released her from my arms and took her warm, delicate hand, raising it up to my lips where I planted a small kiss.

"Of course," she simpered and I twirled her around, watching her as she did so gracefully.

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you
After nearly half an hour of dancing and gliding across the roof under the starlight with quite a few playful moves added in between, Taylor was once again in my arms--the arms that were made for holding her. But, there was something else special about this moment. We'd exchanged countless signs of affection for each other but this, this felt different. I knew I was foolishly completely falling for her since day one and she had this way of kicking all my walls in. I knew I was taking a chance by committing myself to someone and something because throughout my entire life, I'd never laid out that much trust within a person. But I'd always wondered how it felt to be loved and to be in love. Now I do.
Or so I'd thought.
I finally said the three words that were tempted to slip out of my mouth, the three words that had been hanging on the edge of my tongue, the three words I'd been longing to tell her. "I love you."
But I was not sure if she heard.