Chapter 14

"All you had to do was stay. Had me in the palm of your hand. Then, why'd you have to go and lock me out when I let you in? Now, you say you want it back now that it's just too late. Well, it could've been easy. All you had to do was stay." - Taylor Swift

Taylor's POV

How am I going to break this news to him? What am I going to do? He's going to be upset with me.

I anxiously made my way down the hall, in search of Harry which really shouldn't be that hard to spot him. Awkward glances were thrown at me as I swiftly pushed through the crowded room, murmuring a few sorry's and excuse me's along the way.
Finally, I found Harry who was standing by a classroom and chatting with Niall. Approaching them with a smile on my face, I greeted, "Hey guys!"

Their attention immediately averted to me and a smile spread across Harry's face. "Hey, Tay."

Niall grinned and replied, "Hi, Taylor!"

"Uh, do you mind if I borrow Harry for a second?" I asked Niall.

Taking one step away, he said, "He's all yours."

I gave him a nod before turning back around to Harry. "Can--can I talk to you about something? Just for a minute."

Harry's smile quickly faltered and his expression turned serious due to the sudden change in the mood. "Yeah, of course."

We walked over to an isolated corner of the hallway where it was nearly deserted. From there, I took a deep breathe and began by saying quietly, "I wanted to tell you this in person." Harry's expression urged me to go on. My palms began to feel clammy and I felt my eyes growing moist. "I can't go with you to the dance...or with you anymore," the sentence rolled off my tongue. My heart was thudding loudly against my chest as soon as those words left my mouth and I swallowed, fearing his response. As much as I hate to do this, what other choice do I have?

At first, a discombobulated expression was etched on his face as if I had spoken in another language. "What?" he asked as if he hadn't heard me correctly.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "Harry, I don't think I can find a way to make this work. I cannot risk anything at this point in my life right now," I explained. Hopefully this will be for the best.

"But we can if we try," he said and grabbed onto my hand, trying to convince me.

I looked down at our hands and shook my head, letting go.

"So you're just going to give up?" he looked at me in disbelief.

"I--I guess," I stammered and frowned. This wasn't exactly how I envisioned our conversation to go.

Harry looked down at his shoes, tears glistening in his eyes, and mumbled, "Fine. What ever." He turned around and left, his footsteps echoing through the halls, without another word.

I sunk down and sat against the side of a locker. What have I done? I asked myself. I never meant to hurt him. I only did this to protect him from more unnecessary problems and complications in his life. He already has too much to handle. If only he knew that this hurt me as much as it hurt him. 

Throughout the day, I tried to get him to talk to me and understand but he either ignored me or pretended he didn't see me. I took my final attempt during our passing period before English. Harry walked past by me without giving me a single glance and I instantly held a tight grip on his arm, stopping him from proceeding any further. He turned around to face me and glowered, speaking icily, "Let me go."

"Not until you hear me out," I said, calmly.

"I don't want to hear anything you've got to say. I can't afford to be more broken then I already am," Harry replied harshly.

I stood there, stunned by his reply, and slowly release my grasp. He was right. We could've found another route to make this work out but we didn't. That's because I gave up on him, on both of us. All my fault, all my fault.

Harry's POV

"...Or with you anymore."
Those words immediately crushed me the moment Taylor said it. It felt like I was just stabbed in the heart by a knife and as the knife withdrew, it left a never healing hole in my heart. I let those words sink into my brain, still not being able to comprehend what she said. She started talking but I couldn't hear anything over the screaming voice inside of my head. Before I knew it, tears were threatening to spill out of my eyes, so I left without another word, too overwhelmed to even speak. Both anger and sadness over took my body. As I was absentmindedly walking, I allowed my feet to take me where ever it'd like. A million of thoughts swarmed around in my head. Is it me? Did I do something wrong?

I sank into a desolated spot and covered my face with my hands, still not able to process what had just happened. I was furious yet lonely and sad at the same time. Taylor's the only person who I  trusted my secrets with, the only person who understood me, the only person who was actually there when I needed someone, the only person who I let in to my life when she just went and locked me out. The only person who's got enough for me to break my heart in the blink of an eye.

I sighed and stood up, sucking up all the courage I had before heading to my next class.
It was extremely difficult to concentrate when Taylor was the only person I saw when I closed my eyes and the only voice I heard when someone was speaking. Hell, anywhere I went, I swore I saw her face in every crowd.

As English rolled around, Taylor appeared, walking towards me with a concerned and worried expression on her face. Taking me by surprise, she grabbed my arm and held on tightly. I whipped around and glared at her. "Let me go," I demanded and twisted my arm, trying to loosen her strong grip.

"Not until you hear me out," she said.

"I don't want to hear anything you've got to say. I can't afford to be more broken then I already am," I huffed, frustrated and angered by her behavior. She breaks my heart then comes back around, asking for me to listen to her?

Her grasp released from my arm and I shook it off. A hurtful expression spread across her face and a pang of guilt and regret hit me as I left her alone.

A/N: Did anyone catch all the Taylor song references or get the gist haha. It's the beginning of the school year right now and I'm busy so I am trying my hardest to squeeze in time for writing. Literally all I do during my free time in school is sit in a corner and read/write fanfics. Yep, I'm that one weird loner. Anyway, thank you for being patient :) I love you all so much xx