Chapter 13

"We were both young when I first saw you. I close my eyes and the flashback starts. I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air." - Taylor Swift, Love Story

"Thank you, I had an amazing time," I smiled dreamily and loosened my grip, letting go of his hand.

"I did too," he said. "Seen you again soon. " Harry winked before leaving my front porch.

I sighed, a stupid grin plastered on my face, before unlocking the front door and stepping inside. The joy was instantly wiped away, as an unfortunate surprise was awaiting. "Wh-what's going on?" I stammered, my eyes searching their faces for answers. There, on the couch, sat Selena who was looking down, her dark hair hiding her face, and she was fidgeting with the sleeve of her shirt. Oh, I am in so much trouble.

"Why don't you tell us what's going on?" My mother asked harshly, her hands on her hips.

"Selena, what are you doing here?" I questioned, confounded by this situation, and having no clue what was going on.

"I wanted to come here to apologize," she spoke quietly. "But I guess I came at the wrong time. I'll leave this up to you and your family now," she grumbled before walking past me and mouthing sorry with a worried expression on her face. The door shut and it was just silence between me and my parents. I stood there as flabbergasted as I was the moment I stepped inside.

In a sharp tone, she continued, "So, do you mind telling us who he was?" Her dark, beady eyes stared right into mine and I gulped, realizing how much shit I just got myself into.

"Who are you talking about?" I played dumb, though I knew exactly who she was referring to.

"Don't play innocent. You know very well who I'm talking about," she snapped.

I took a deep breath, knowing that I was cornered and had no other way out of this mess. Might as well just give up for the sake of my life, I thought. "Yes, so? I hung out with a boy. What's the problem with that?" I confessed.

"The problem is that you lied directly into my face and told me that you were going to stay at Selena's!" My mom exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air.

"I'm sorry, mom," I apologized. "But I only did that so I can hang out with him. If you knew that I was going to be with him, you wouldn't have let me go," I explained.

"Damn right you are. You can kiss him goodbye because you're not ever leaving this house again," she snarled.

"That's right. We forbid you to ever see him again," my dad finalized. "Especially since he's the Styles kid." 

My eyes widened at his last remark. "How did you know his name? I never mentioned it."

Realizing what he'd just spilled out, he responded,"Forget what I just said. Just stay away from him and his no good family."

"Dad, what's going on? Please tell me, what do you know that I don't?" I pleaded.

"I know many things that you don't. Now, stop asking and go up to your room!" he commanded.

"Okay," I muttered, looking down and headed up the staircase. Tears were already rolling down my cheeks as I let the conversation, or more so argument sink into my brain. This is just so wrong and unfair. Why can't I be with him?  I thought bitterly.

Fuming with anger, I shut my door and sat down at my desk, my arms crossed over my chest. Great, and I have English homework too.  Flipping through the pages of the core novel we were reading, I landed on the chapter that we were assigned to read.

O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

Deny thy father and refuse thy name,

Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,

And I'll no longer be a Capulet.

I looked down at my assignment and the directions read: Summarize the following chapter.

Ugh, this is so stupid, I thought and groaned. This is just about how some stupid girl fell for a stupid guy when they only met like once but they can't be together because their families are rivals, plus she's arranged to be married to some other dude, which adds more shit to the drama. So then she and the guy decided to run away and live happily ever after but did that work out? Nooo. This is where the story gets more fucked up. She had to fake her death after the wedding and then he came and thought she was actually dead, which adds more shit to the story. And so he killed himself, thinking the "love of his life" was dead and she wakes up to find him dead. And so she kills herself for real this time. Then, they both die. The end.
How tragic.

I ruffled my hair and as soon as my pencil hit the paper, I paused as a brilliant idea clicked inside my head. Woah, maybe this won't be so stupid after all, I realized. A light bulb went off in my head and just like that, the next thing I knew, I was sprawled on the bedroom floor with my songbook lying in front of me.

My daddy said "Stay away from Juliet."  And I was crying on the staircase, begging you please don't go. I jotted down quickly as more ideas began pouring in. While in deep thinking, I tapped the pencil on my chin and scrawled down the lyrics, Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone. I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run. You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess. It's a love story, baby  just say yes.

So I sneak out to the garden to see you. We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew. So close your eyes...escape this town for a little while, I wrote down and smiled to myself, recalling the memories from earlier that day. Minutes later, I finished the song with pride and was actually quite proud of it. Re-reading the chorus and verses, I hummed out the tune of the song and how I imagined it to sound like.

Buzz buzz my phone vibrated from the bed, underneath my bundle of blankets and pillows. I dug through the mountain of blankets on my bed and unburied my phone. Selena's name and picture flashed across the screen and I accepted her call without any hesitation. "Hello?" I answered sharply.

"Hey, Taylor, um about earlier..." There was a pause on the other line. "I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry--for the things I said and accused you of-- and just everything that happened ever since that day," she apologized, a tone of guilt in her voice. "But I just made it worse," she muttered.

"No, it isn't your fault," my voice softened. "I shouldn't have lied to my mom and gotten you involved. Now everything is a crumpled mess because of me."

"What ever you say, Taylor," Selena said teasingly, knowing that I would always take the blame under any condition. "But I want you to know that I'm sorry," she repeated once again.

I chuckled, "You don't have to keep saying that, Sel. I get it."

"So we're good?" She asked hopefully.

"We're good," I confirmed, a smile spread across my face.

A/N: I was going to add more drama to the story but then changed my mind because I think it's just too much. I started school last week *cries* I'll try to keep up with writing as much as possible. Thanks for reading, please vote and comment! Updating one shots next :) All da loveee