2.

Flashback continued

Jennifer's POV

Today is Yara's 1st birthday & Beyoncé sent me to pick up her balloons. We're having the party in Houston at her parents' backyard. Ever since Beyoncé named me godmother, I've been spoiling Yara rotten. She can't say "Jennifer" yet, but she's so cute when she gets super excited seeing me.

The front door was unlocked and I walked inside the house towards the yard. There were tables placed under a tent with different colors of cloths on top. Their pool had tons of beach balls floating all over, and Mr. Knowles was grilling the meats. "Hey Jenn! Tie those balloons on the chair over there. Bey and Tina are upstairs." He said. I did that and headed back inside. Heading to Beyoncé's room, I knocked on the door and entered.

"Hey Bey and Mama Tina." I hugged them and instantly smiled at Yara sitting on the bed trying to crawl to me. "Hey mami. TT J is here...you miss me?" I said picking her up and kissing her chubby cheek. She tried to do the same on mine, but instead placed sloppy spit all over. I laughed.

"Jenn you can go ahead & take her outside. I gotta head out to get her Barney cake." Beyoncé said. Mama Tina shook her head. "Beyoncé why are you waiting til the last minute to get the cake. If you told Jenn to get the balloons she would've got the cake too." I stayed quiet because when Mama Tina fusses, you hope it's not directed for you.

"Mama why you always yelling at me. I forgot okay. It's not a big deal," Beyoncé said, grabbing her purse as we all walked downstairs. "It is a big deal cause you never plan ahead, and you're going to have guests coming in left and right. These are your people coming into my house." Mama continued. "Ma I know. If you would just let me leave I'll be right back, dang."

Me and Yara went outside and I took my shoes off and placed it in the water. I held her close in my lap and splashed water onto her tiny toes. She giggled like it was the best thing ever and looked so cute in her little straw hat and sunglasses. "Got it!" I turned around and saw Mama Tina taking our picture. "You are so good with Yara, Jenn. I wish Beyoncé had those motherly instincts like you do." She said. I sighed because I hated when she compared me and Bey on the slide like that.

"Well I think she's doing a great job & I'm just happy I can call her my goddaughter." I said. I looked back down to Yara as she kept tapping my legs to splash her more. "She's only 19 and acts just like it. She wanna do things that people without kids can do at her age but she can't. She wanna stay in that group and leave all her responsibilities to either us or you. That's not fair." She said.

"Yeah Mama but if I'm not busy with work, you know I got y'all back. I really don't mind." I said. "You just gonna keep defending Beyoncé to no end. I like that about you Jennifer, but keep helping her out the way you do, and soon Yara's gonna start calling you Mommy instead of Bey."

She then left to greet the guests that were ringing the doorbell. I remained sitting by the pool as I soaked in what Mama Tina said to me. Yara started to fall asleep close to my chest, so I rubbed her back.

Maybe I should stop caring for Yara like she's my baby. I don't know. How are godmother's suppose to act? I shook the thoughts out my head and got up to mingle with Beyoncé's family. We all sat outside underneath the tents, and watched kids play different games in the grass while the older teenagers got in the pool. Beyoncé finally came back an hour later and I saw Mama Tina shake her head. She'll probably yell at her again, but not when everyone is here.

"Jenn I'll get Yara so you can fix a plate. Thanks for getting the balloons and watching her." Bey said. I passed a sleeping Yara to her and got up to fix a plate. I piled everything on my plate since I'm on a mini break before I shoot my next film.
~~~~~
"Jenn can I speak to you for a minute?" Mr. Knowles said to me as I carried the last tray of food into the kitchen. The party ended a while ago and it turned out really nice. When Yara woke back up, she loved playing with the kids and opening her gifts. I bought her a pink Cadillac toy car with her name written on the license plate. She loved it and drove that car all over the yard.

"Sure what's up." I said. He motioned for me to sit at the kitchen table. "Well you know the girls are touring in a few weeks in the states and in Europe for a year, and I don't know if Tina or Beyoncé said anything but I'll feel better if you kept Yara for us. With Tina being the stylist and me the manager, you're the only person we trust to watch Yara." He said. I was speechless for a moment.

"I'm sure there's someone else who could. I mean...a year? Why didn't Beyoncé or Mama Tina say anything?" I asked. I'm starting to sweat bullets. I can't raise a baby by myself. I love Yara dearly but she's not mine. "I don't know the reason why they're waiting til last minute to ask you, but c'mon Jennifer. Tina is always saying sly remarks about Beyoncé's parenting and if I can tell you the truth, Bey's not fit for motherhood. I'm so grateful she's found a true friend like you, and it comforts me that you're already established in the business and grown." He said. I just looked down at my hands as I processed everything.

"Um I don't know what to say. If it comes down to it I'll absolutely keep Yara because I love that little girl." I said as I mustered up a smile.

"You're gonna do just fine and with Beyoncé touring that should open up her eyes and force her to grow up." I nodded my head and he left to go in his office. I walked back up the stairs to my room. One thing about the Knowles' they're basically my second family so I always stay at their house when I come to Houston. We've even had family dinners together with my family. I opened up my luggage to get my things and went to take a shower. I got dressed in my night clothes, and grabbed my lotion on the nightstand to use when Beyoncé came into my room and jumped on my bed.

"Hey! Get your nasty ass slippers off my bed!" I said to her as I slapped her legs. She rolled her eyes but quickly took them off. "So your dad talked to me in the kitchen about the tour you're going on." I said to her as I parted my wet, curly hair and combed it down.

"Yeah... What he say?" She started flipping the TV channels. "He said that since he and Mama will be on tour with Destiny's Child, someone will have to watch Yara and that person would be me." I said. I turned from the mirror to look at her and she had a neutral face, almost nonchalant in a sense. "Well I figured he'd say that to you. I mean, you're more natural with Yara than I am and I was gonna ask you once the contracts were officially signed for the tour." She said. I frowned.

"What the hell does that even mean Beyoncé? How am I more natural with Yara when you birthed her ," I said, fully turning around with my comb in my hand.

"I didn't mean it in a bad way Jenn. You just are. Being a mom is  harder than I expected and I'm not sure if I want this responsibility for the rest of my life." She said.

"So you don't want Yara? You're not even making sense Beyoncé." I said.

"I just think that the tour will be for a whole year, and Yara will grow really attached to you, and I think it's best if you just keep her...permanently. The media and public don't even know I have a child and since you're in your 30's you're look more favorable in their eyes." She said. I read her face and she looked dead serious. "Are you really sure about this Beyoncé? I mean this is serious talk. You're basically telling me to be her guardian." I said, asking for more clarification.

"That's exactly what I want. For you to be Yara's guardian."